Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 4:43:12 AM EDT
Now that the ban is passed,  can I put the tri-point bayonet on my SKS?  I purchased it without and it just doesn't look right without the bayonet.   Let me know.   Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:44:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell if I know...I have never seen an SKS without a Bayo....

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:35:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope.

SKS rifles are most limited by Sec. 922(r) (Import assembly limitation) which was not sunset.

Any of these features:  bayonette, detachable magazine, folding stock -- deem the rifle unfit for sporting purposes, and preclude import.  You cannot assemble a rifle prohibited from import using more than 10 of the listed foreign parts.  There are not enough domesticly made SKS parts to win the 10 or less game.

One of the few published 922(r) criminal cases involved prosecution of an importer for putting bayos on SKS rifles when they arrived stateside.

Don't.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:45:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Lemme git this right... you bought an SKS without a bayonet???

Time to turn in your AZ drivers license for a CA one... you're a lost cause!

However, I will pray for you, and SgtAR15 might work you into one of his fine doll productions!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:47:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I didn't know they sold SKS without the bayo?  All the ones i've seen all had them.  Then again I don't live in kalifornia.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:49:58 AM EDT
[#5]
it was fine during the ban. nondetachable mag no pistol grip permanantly attached muzzle break big ugly wood stock all it had was the bayonet
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:50:54 AM EDT
[#6]
All SKS rifles imported after 1989 are supposed to have been imported without the bayo.

A lot of dealers put them back on, not knowing what kind of legal problem it is.

It would be nice if someone made a "US made" compliance kit that included the trigger, hammer, and sear.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:55:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
All SKS rifles imported after 1989 are supposed to have been imported without the bayo.

A lot of dealers put them back on, not knowing what kind of legal problem it is.

It would be nice if someone made a "US made" compliance kit that included the trigger, hammer, and sear.  

I am unsure of the year, but you are correct about the import restriction.

I guess my issue (I won't call it a problem) with doing a "Compliance Pack" we'll call it, is that it would ruin any "value" ie. bang for the buck.  Of buying an SKS, no?

Unless you could get the parts for $20 or less...  the problem with the SKS is it's a very sturdy platform for a bayonet, and there could be a forseable need for one.  Say you lose your pocket knife and need to open that MRE pouch

My honest opinion, if you want the bayonet, shop for a rifle with it on already.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:58:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine came with it in '89 (chinese I think, I'll dbl check tonight..it's got some chinese markings on it.)

Never took it off...ever. All I ever did was replace the stock with a folding one for a while, and refinished the wood stock to a darker pecan color.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#9]
The answer is:

Yes, and No! For several reasons.

Chinese SKSs:  Bayonets not legal post '89 ban.

All others:  As all others are C&R qualified, they are importable in their current form with bayonet.  
As a matter of fact, they can become illegal quickly if you mess with them.  They lose their C&R status if not in their C&R approved configuration and at that point would have to meet the '89 regs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:09:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I guess my issue (I won't call it a problem) with doing a "Compliance Pack" we'll call it, is that it would ruin any "value" ie. bang for the buck.  Of buying an SKS, no?

Value? SKS?

You couldn't give away a Russian Tula-marked SKS a decade ago. These days, you'd be lucky to attract $350 for one.

If you don't have a bayonet on your SKS and for some reason you really want to put one on it, I'd suggest dumping the rifle to someone as a shooter and spending the 10 minutes of your life finding and purchasing one WITH the bayonet intact

Just IMO...

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:28:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:30:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Every sks I own, and I have 11 of them came with the bayonets on them.  They are all C&R purchases so as a C&R rifle there is no problem having them on.  This isn't a new rifle is it?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:39:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
not a bad return on a rifle i paid $140 for 5 years ago, eh?

has the average ar done as well? i don't think so.

Note I said LUCKY

The most I'd go for a chicom SKS would be maybe $200...and that'd be for a Para model.

I've got a couple of SKS's (one Albanian, one...oh hell if I can remember). I think I overpaid for them, and I think I spent less than $100 each...like I said, just IMO..
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:46:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
not a bad return on a rifle i paid $140 for 5 years ago, eh?

has the average ar done as well? i don't think so.

Note I said LUCKY

The most I'd go for a chicom SKS would be maybe $200...and that'd be for a Para model.

I've got a couple of SKS's (one Albanian, one...oh hell if I can remember). I think I overpaid for them, and I think I spent less than $100 each...like I said, just IMO..

I've got 6 Albanians that I paid $79-$89 each and the price from what I've seen is topping $200 now.  Don't know if they'll continue to climb in value but that's a pretty good jump.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:47:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
[I've got 6 Albanians that I paid $79-$89 each and the price from what I've seen is topping $200 now.  Don't know if they'll continue to climb in value but that's a pretty good jump.

Really? People are actually getting those prices for them??? Whoa!

Jeeze, maybe I should check Gunbroker more often...didn't think they'd ever get beyond the $100 mark.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[I've got 6 Albanians that I paid $79-$89 each and the price from what I've seen is topping $200 now.  Don't know if they'll continue to climb in value but that's a pretty good jump.

Really? People are actually getting those prices for them??? Whoa!

Jeeze, maybe I should check Gunbroker more often...didn't think they'd ever get beyond the $100 mark.

Well with supposedely only 6000 left of the 18000 originally made, the price started to climb about two months ago when the supply dried up.  I've seen a few pop up at Aim over the past few months but really the only place you can find them now is on Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:01:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
This is more complicated than it seems on the surface.  In simple form.  If your Chinese sks was imported without a bayo, then it cannot have one due to the sporting purposes clause.  Chinese sks are new production, not antiques and not C&R.  The Euro sks imported from countries like Russia, Yugoslavia, Romania, and Albania can have a Bayo because they are not new production, they are legitimate antiques and they are C&R guns.  New condition or not, they are considered for their collectibility therefore they can be in original configuration.  Now, if you modify a C&R gun from its C&R original configuration, it is no longer C&R and must lose the Bayo.  Confused, of course you are.  Its a confusing subject.

Thanks, for the "informative" responses.  Yes, this is a Chinese SKS and it was not allowed to be sold with a bayonet.  Bought it at my local gun shop.  They had dozens of them and only a few had the blade bayonet and they were not Chinese.   The rest had the tri-point bayo's removed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top