Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 12:34:50 AM EDT
This book is about an embedded reporter who is asked to "ride-a-long" with 1st Recon Bn, Alpha Co.  I just read this book, and I have mixed emotions about it.  The reporter, Evan Wright, seems to have reported accurately.  I didn't see him leaning one way or the other.  However, by his publishing a 'three-part' series in Rolling Stone magazine, was his intent to dishonor our troops?  Aside my conflicting emotions about his writings, I like the overall attitude of the Marines and their decisive actions.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:07:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:12:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Thunder Run. Hmmmm. I may have to check that one out. I've been looking for some nice new military reads. That sounds like a good place to start. Thanks for the recommendation and review.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:15:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Mr. Moderator, Sir;
    As far as 'Captain America', the individual did really exist, and, apparently, he was that unpredictable and overzealous.  Three of my best friends, also Recon Marines from the 1st & 3rd Recon BNs, personally served with that man.  All three say that 'Capt. America' was indeed a jackass!  I thought it was impossible for someone like him, (as you put it), to rise in the ranks at a Recon CO.  Anyways, glad to know that some ARFCOMers actually DO read!  Thanks for your input.

Deputy Dan; CO,USA
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:34:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:23:06 AM EDT
[#5]
The problem with the book is that it is written from the prospective of the junior Marines and like always happens they don't get told the big picture.   I can tell you as a commander, from the time we turned toward Dywania until the fall of Baghdad no one told me the big picture and it wasn't because the Battalion CO was holding out, he didn't know either.  I know this because I listened on the same Regt CMD/TAC that he received his orders on.  Yet like time in memorial the junior, less mature troops,  feel their commanders are doing the wrong thing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:01:20 AM EDT
[#6]

I am 3/4 of the way through it right now.  I personally enjoyed hearing how we were able to see the Syrian Terrorists during the night ambush using NVGs and PAQs.  Amazing what an M-4 can do to a scumbag terrorist...

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:03:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like I've got a couple more books to read now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:09:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm about 1/3rd of the way through it, I think it's very interesting. I also was wondering how accurate it is. While I think the author did a good job of trying to write from the center, there are time that it's obviously written with a left-jaundiced eye. Not in the arrogance of the left, but the ignorance of the left.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top