Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2004 8:42:28 PM EDT
I've never owned a truck and was wondering what you guys think of these in particular. What's good/bad about them? How long do they usually last? Any help would be appreciated

I've got my eye on this one. Think it's worth looking farther into?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:13:42 AM EDT
[#1]
The F-150 is that bad huh?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a good deal to me.  With less than 54k on it, it shouldn't have many, if any problems.  I have a 95 f150, and it's been a good truck to me.  Mine has 92k.  these trucks are easy to work if there is a problem, and parts are reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Go with a Chevy.  You get what you pay for.  I will show you my new tranny receipts and service problems if you want.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:20:03 AM EDT
[#4]
What year?

If its a newer model with IFS, piss on it.  I despise IFS.

*Edit*Im stupid and didnt click the link.  Point and laugh.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:20:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't touch it...

53K in 13 years?  Perhaps it was owned by an old guy who didn't go anywhere.  Or, as the photo indicates, perhaps it was used as a snowplow primarily.  That would be 53k hard miles.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:21:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I've driven F-150s for 12 years now.  I love 'em.  My first went to 120,000 before I traded it in for a new one.  I've got 60,000 on the one I have now.  Runs like a champ.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:21:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't own an F150, but the one your looking at, looks like it was used for snow plowing. I would have that front end looked at real good before buying it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:27:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like great mileage for a 92. The price seems realistic also. The only concern I would have is the 302 in a truck that large. It might be a bit anemic power wise but if it's geared right it might not be too bad. On the plus side 302's are simple to work on and parts are cheap and readily available. Not to mention bullet proof little motors.

I have not owned that body style I have a 99 but my buddy did and he had no major problems whatsoever. His had minor stuff mostly with the interior that bugged him. Power seats quit working, trim pieces that broke easily that kind of thing...

I would think with a truck with that low of mileage you might see an oil leak on the rear main from sitting in the driveway or something. Just something to look for and nothing that I would personally be too concerned about. If you are serious I would take it to some gravel and put it in 4 wheel low and hit the gas a few times to make sure all the 4x gear is in working order.

Just a few things to think about. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know what to tell you, W-D.
Used vehicles are a crap shoot, IMO especially used trucks.  Some people don't take very good care of their vehicles and I think that's especially true of trucks.  "It ain't supposed to need anythin'.  It's a TRUCK!"  
...........Right.
I have owned two F-150s so far (1978 & 1988) and they were (are) excellent vehicles, but I bought both of them new.
I put 123,000 miles on the first one and then gave it to my neice.  She drove it around for a while and then gave it to my nephew.  He drove it around for a while and then gave it to his friend who finally killed it.  My present F-150 is no longer used every day but it's still used regularly.  It has 172,000 miles on it and shows no signs of dying.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey thanks for the replies, it helps a lot! Any ideas/estimates on how many miles they are known to go? Was it 200,000? I might be getting it mixed up with the F-250
Thanks again
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a 200 F150 and so far all I had to do to it was replace the power steering pump at 90,000 miles.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Other than maybe getting a front-end guy to check it out, since it looks like it's been used for
plowing, it sounds like a good deal. That's excellent mileage for it's age, if the front end is in good
shape and not abused during plowing.

I had an `86 F-150 that I just got rid of, that had 158K, donating to Purple Heart. It had the 302,
and there wasn't anything anemic about it. Was still running strong, other than a small oil leak that
would have been more of a PITA to fix than the labor was worth.

I love the series, and will be looking to get another once we get moved next summer.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#13]
'95 F-150 here .. 150K miles.. and still going strong.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I replaced my truck last year (with another used one), and did a bunch of comparison shopping.  I limited my choices to Ford and GM.  I tried to be fully informed, but CONDITION was going to win rather than a specific year or model.  In this process, I learned that 1996 was an excellent year for the F150.  I ended up with a 1994 GMC K1500.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I have an early 1997 F150 4.2 v6. I have over 135,000 miles, and I love the truck more each day. It has outlasted my father 99 GMC 5.3 (worst truck ever), and still feels new. The F150 is the best selling vehicle in the world for a damn good reason.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Also keep in mind that the rules changed in 1996.  Vehicles got much more complicated due to Federal requirements.  ODB II requirements took effect that year.  This may be a consideration in an older high mileage vehicle.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Beware the E4OD automatic transmission. I have a 94 and the trans started shifting very hard and slipping at about 80k miles. I just had the trans rebuilt and after 10k miles it is starting to shift hard again. I'm not sure how long the rebuilt trans will last and, of course, it is way out of it's warranty.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I wouldn't touch it...

53K in 13 years?  Perhaps it was owned by an old guy who didn't go anywhere.  Or, as the photo indicates, perhaps it was used as a snowplow primarily.  That would be 53k hard miles.

No way!! Beat to death 3 months of the year left to rust the other 9. Run away !
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had 3 F-150's an 85, 97, and now an 01 SuperCrew, they're great trucks! The 85 is still running with 220K+ on the clock, my mom now drives the 97 with 114k, and the 01 has ~63k on it thus far. The mileage on that 92 is LOW! As everyone else stated though it appeares to have been used to plow snow...have it looked over first. The 150's are great trucks, but they were'nt meant to plow snow like the superdutys. On the flip side some people just have the plow attachment mounted and never hook up the plow,look to see if there's much (if any) wear around the attachment points.

For whomever said that the 302 is small for that sized truck is nuts, it's more than enough power for most every owner. Hell the new 4.6 liters are 281 C.I.D. and the 4.2's are even smaller, most new work trucks are the V6 4.2L variety and do just fine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#20]
My 1992 F150 4x4 standard cab was traded in at 148,000 with the only problem being a heater core and a leaky water fitting that I JB weld fixed with no further problems.  I used to be a Chevy guy before this rig, I traded a 1995 Toyota Tacoma for it and never regretted it for a second.  Kinda wish I'd kept the truck but my 1999 F350 has 97K+ with no problems and it's a V10.   I've been so impressed my next rig will be a F350 diesel.    Not reliability related but mileage, diesels are cheaper to drive.    Btw, my F150 standard cab 4x4 with the 5.0V8 5spd got about 13mpg mixed hwy/city.

I forgot to add, ALL of the mazda 5spd manuals used in the F150's leak.  Keep an eye on the juice and it'll last a zillion miles.   (this wont apply to the truck with the auto but definitely the manual trans)
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got a 2000 XLT 4X4 w/ a 5.4L engine that seems to be just right for power.  that 302 (5.0L) is gonna be wimpy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm as happy as a clam to be able to join this thread, as I bought ny first F-150 on Labor Day. My 1999 Crown Victoria was in great shape, but with 172,000 miles on her, it was time for a change. I've wanted a pickup for years, and found a nice used 2003 F-150 Heritage Special Edition at a Ft Worth dealership.

I love the comfortable ride, and especially the fact that it rides much higher than a sedan. Those Crown Vics are a little low, and although they're very comfortable, getting in an out is certainly much easier with this truck. Couldn't be happier!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm as happy as a clam to be able to join this thread, as I bought ny first F-150 on Labor Day. My 1999 Crown Victoria was in great shape, but with 172,000 miles on her, it was time for a change. I've wanted a pickup for years, and found a nice used 2003 F-150 Heritage Special Edition at a Ft Worth dealership.

I love the comfortable ride, and especially the fact that it rides much higher than a sedan. Those Crown Vics are a little low, and although they're very comfortable, getting in an out is certainly much easier with this truck. Couldn't be happier!

Just how happy are clams?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I am a service manager at an equipment company and run a fleet of trucks. I have Fords (150's & 350's), Dodge 3500's and Chevy/GMC 3500's and 4500's. They are a mix of gas and diesel engines. The F150 is a 97' with over 200k on the clock and those are some hard miles. We pull forklifts and loaded trailers with it and it just keeps on going! As some of the other replies have stated, it all comes down to maintenance for the life of the vehicle (true with all makes). When I need to replace or add another vehicle to my fleet, I look at what I need at the time and the job it will need to perform and then look for the the best deal around. I have many technicians who like one make over another, but my decision comes down to what is available at the time with the budget I have at the time. For new vehicles I think Chevy has the best deal out there. Over the past 10 years I think the Fords have held up the best with Dodge a close second. Chevy finally got thier act together in the last couple of years. Good luck with the purchase and don't be afraid to look at alternative dealers. You never know what may be out there that you just aint seeing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#25]
My only personal experience with a Ford was my fathers '85 F150 with a 5.0 inline 6.  It was a piece of crap by 100,000.  The drivetrain was decent, but the brakes, interior, body, and paint were terrible.  I seem to remember that it went through alignments and wore tires out prematurely as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I got this about 2 weeks ago.  I love it!  2004 FX4 5.4L

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#27]

I used to own one
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#28]
All I've bought since '70 have been F-150s. I've had a '70, '82,'88,'
and now have a '93 with 230,000 miles and going strong. Only normal maintenance. All the others had between 150,000 and 200,000 when I got a new one. But all were bought new and taken care of even though I went offroad on deer leases quite a bit. I'd check over anything 'used' well.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#29]
MAN echo459, i would almost feel sorry for you but its your money and you spend it as you see fit. but i drive my boss's "deliver truck" 2004 f150 crewcab fx4 5.4 triton, that thing sucks gas bout like a race car but has no power to show for it! and averaging 11-12 miles to a gallon

cruising bone stock truck and then pulling his boat, i got 7.6 miles to a gallon.. i had to pull his ski boat (6000 lbs) 45 miles and then i drove back to his house another 45miles. thats 90 miles it took almost 1/2 tank. and what that thing has a 30 gallon tank?? i have 2000 silverado ext cab,

5.3 vortec,  i usually get bout 18-20 crusing  interstate speed. i pulled his skiboat from the resivor to his house and back to the marina, i averaged 15.8 miles to a gallon, only downshifted once on the interstate to go up a hill, the ford almost strugled to go down hills?? brakes arent

worth a flip! took forever to stop even with trailer brakes. and starting off from redlights, dang grandmas  were leaving me like i was standing still. i will stay with bowties over anything!

bythe way does anyone know how the rivalry bt the Blue Oval and the Bowties got started?? it has to be the worst rivalry bt any other vechicle makers?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
MAN echo459, i would almost feel sorry for you but its your money and you spend it as you see fit. but i drive my boss's "deliver truck" 2004 f150 crewcab fx4 5.4 triton, that thing sucks gas bout like a race car but has no power to show for it! and averaging 11-12 miles to a gallon

cruising bone stock truck and then pulling his boat, i got 7.6 miles to a gallon.. i had to pull his ski boat (6000 lbs) 45 miles and then i drove back to his house another 45miles. thats 90 miles it took almost 1/2 tank. and what that thing has a 30 gallon tank?? i have 2000 silverado ext cab,

5.3 vortec,  i usually get bout 18-20 crusing  interstate speed. i pulled his skiboat from the resivor to his house and back to the marina, i averaged 15.8 miles to a gallon, only downshifted once on the interstate to go up a hill, the ford almost strugled to go down hills?? brakes arent

worth a flip! took forever to stop even with trailer brakes. and starting off from redlights, dang grandmas  were leaving me like i was standing still. i will stay with bowties over anything!

bythe way does anyone know how the rivalry bt the Blue Oval and the Bowties got started?? it has to be the worst rivalry bt any other vechicle makers?

Are you sure you arent pulling with a v6?  With the 5.4 you should leave your vortech way behind.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a 2001 SuperCrew 4-wheel drive Lariat package. It has some mods for performance (Superchip, intake, custom exhaust, etc) and convenience (bilsteins, stereo upgrade, foglights anytime mod, etc.). Had a hub replaced under warranty when the truck was 2 yr old, other than that no problems at all. I like it a lot - the size works for me and it's comfortable on the road and off. I am no rock-hopper, all I ever do is go in the woods sometimes to get a deer out, run mucky dirt roads, or haul a boat up a muddy ramp. My first V8 and first American brand new vehicle - 70k miles and no rattles, still looks new when I wash it. I paid cash (sold some stock that was WAY up in 2000, glad I did) and I'll drive it 'till it rots.

Too bad new vehicles are so overpriced thanks to govt, NAFTA, and the UAW. I'll shop for good used ones in the future - more value for the money.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Crew Cabs have 24 gallon tanks IIRC, that's what's in my Screw. My 97 reg cab long bed OTOH had a 30 gallon tank. the 5.4 should get 13-14mpg city and 15-16 on the road.

They're also no slouch I'd look under the hood to make sure you didn't have the 4.3 V6 from what you described.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#33]
BELIVEVE me i have the 5.3 vortec, 327ci V-8 Small block, gen III, chevrolet motor! i have built many motors and rebuilt others. Ford might have the 333 ci 5.4 triton that puts out a little more hp and torque than the chevy small block thats only 6ci smaller. i know for a fact that all my

friends that have the 5.4 triton f150 dont even try to race me anymore.even one of my friends has a 2003 f150 reg cab. 5.4 'sport', its silly slow. my bro went to a Ford dealership and 'test drove' many fords just to see which one will outrun my truck. only one yet is the lightening.  i now have a

hypertech, k&n. soon i will have headers, highflow cats,  and flowmasters.  whats even funnier is my boss tried to race me in the same truck i pulled the boat with, well all i got to say is next month he is goin to get a new chevy truck. he is a pharmacist, in 6

months he is getting a 2005 Corvette       Z06, 6speed, very fine!!
as soon as i can get some time im goin to go to the drag strip in jackson and ill scan my slips and put on a web site so yall can c them! just to show you that im not making this up!

whats even cooler is i just put a 350 bored and stroked to a true 383 in my boss's jeep yj,msd ignition,  with a turbo 350 tranny, atlas II transfer case. if you beat me in your ford truck. ill pull this thing out! mustang GTs hardly KEEP UP with this monster.  toobad it is so light, when you get close to a 100mph in a jeep wrangler it gets freaking scary!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
BELIVEVE me i have the 5.3 vortec, 327ci V-8 Small block, gen III, chevrolet motor! i have built many motors and rebuilt others. Ford might have the 333 ci 5.4 triton that puts out a little more hp and torque than the chevy small block thats only 6ci smaller. i know for a fact that all my

friends that have the 5.4 triton f150 dont even try to race me anymore.even one of my friends has a 2003 f150 reg cab. 5.4 'sport', its silly slow. my bro went to a Ford dealership and 'test drove' many fords just to see which one will outrun my truck. only one yet is the lightening.  i now have a

hypertech, k&n. soon i will have headers, highflow cats,  and flowmasters.  whats even funnier is my boss tried to race me in the same truck i pulled the boat with, well all i got to say is next month he is goin to get a new chevy truck. he is a pharmacist, in 6

as soon as i can get some time im goin to go to the drag strip in jackson and ill scan my slips and put on a web site so yall can c them! just to show you that im not making this up!

whats even cooler is i just put a 350 bored and stroked to a true 383 in my boss's jeep yj,msd ignition,  with a turbo 350 tranny, atlas II transfer case. if you beat me in your ford truck. ill pull this thing out! mustang GTs hardly KEEP UP with this monster.  toobad it is so light, when you get close to a 100mph in a jeep wrangler it gets freaking scary!

I understand that you love your truck. Thats great, buy american. However, you are slightly exagerating your speed claims. Fact: My father had a 99 GMC 1500 ext cab auto. Fact: my brother has an F150 5.4 auto ext cab. Both truck are the same geared and equipped. They were just about tied in a race, with the Ford having an advantage. The thing that the Gen 3 5.3 motor lacks is low-end TQ. My dads truck constantly would downshift with a trailer, staying above 4k constantly. My brothers 5.4 would tow the SAME trailer under 3k, always. TQ is what matters in a truck. My father became so sick of the shoddy build quality and constant air leaks in the chevy that he traded it on a cummins 600. Now THAT truck has TQ.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#35]
It depends on what you want it for.

If you are going to be doing any kind of work with it BUY IT!!!

If all you are going to do is drive up and down the hiway get a pile of chevy.

FORD is a work truck!

Chevy is for soft butts going down the hiway.

NO ONE buys pieces of chevy's for work out here because they don't last.

My 2 cents!

This is my Wifes truck, 1994 F350 4X4

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#37]
From this thread.

Quoted:
Here is some advice to the person who solicited advice regarding a possible purchase of a 92 Ford F150 last week.

My dad is a mechanic.

He states that vehicles with plows have mechanical problems due to the salt damaging components such as brake lines.

He says also the age(14 years old) is also a sign of caution.

That is just his advice, I say Buyer Beware, but draw your own conclusions.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#38]
My '99 XLT super cab has 160,000 miles on it and is going as strong as when new.        I will buy another one eventually...............................................
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand that you love your truck. Thats great, buy american. However, you are slightly exagerating your speed claims. Fact: My father had a 99 GMC 1500 ext cab auto. Fact: my brother has an F150 5.4 auto ext cab. Both truck are the same geared and equipped. They were just about tied in a race, with the Ford having an advantage. The thing that the Gen 3 5.3 motor lacks is low-end TQ. My dads truck constantly would downshift with a trailer, staying above 4k constantly. My brothers 5.4 would tow the SAME trailer under 3k, always. TQ is what matters in a truck. My father became so sick of the shoddy build quality and constant air leaks in the chevy that he traded it on a cummins 600. Now THAT truck has TQ.

Good reply. Lemme run your stock 5.3 with my Whipple charged 4.6, it'd be fair wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#40]
I've got a 1995 6 cylinder 4WD extended cab with about 167k on it, still runs beautifully.  It was used in 4WD a lot before I got it as a foresters truck driving into timber landings, along abandoned farm roads etc. to get to timber lots that were being cut or that were being surveyed to be cut.  I'm extremely happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a '95 f150 and am very happy.  At this point I'd like to drive an f150 for a long time to come.  The inline 6 cyl. of that era is supposed to keep on going 200k-300k mi. maybe.  I am not sure about the 8 cyl. 302 though.  I test drove a 302 and it had trouble accelerating up an incline...I think there was something wrong with that engine though, because my I6 (300) has much more pep.  Test drive it, check it carefully.  It could be ok.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a '95 Bronco with the heavy duty 351, auto trans and all the toys. I'm just bouncing off 160,000 miles on the old girl, I put 100,000 of them on myself in the last 5-1/2 years. Yes it does have the independent front suspension, all half tons do. I've never had a problem with the front end. In fact, it's all still original. I have replaced the radiator at about 70,000 miles, the fuel pump at about 100,000 miles, and the pinion bearing in the rear end at 155,000 miles, yup, just last week. I change the oil every 3,000 miles, rotate the tires every 9,000 miles, and I've tuned it up only once. I do have some rust in the quarters, but I forgive it due to it's age. I'm currently pulling 13 mpg. city.hwy combined.

My previous truck was a '94 F-150, which I sold because my kids no longer fit in the back seat. It had a 302 w/auto trans., and all the options. Power was not a problem with the smaller engine. but, curiously the Bronco with it's larger engine get's better mileage.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Got mine new in 1997 and it has 115K miles on it now. I love it. I'm gonna drive it until it turns into dust.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top