Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 7:40:19 PM EDT
I really do not know how to begin.......except to say that I need some help. I realize that this is a shitty time to ask with the natural disasters and the sunset already wrecking everyones wallet, but you guys are my last try. I respectfully ask that this not turn into a flame/troll or BS thread, I am just asking to see if anyone can help. Here I go.......

My Mother is in desperate need of $200.00! I dont have it cuz I am strapped myself, I am floundering myself. I have tried to get a loan form the bank, I dont have anything of value for any damn pawn shops and I am maxed on all CC. I do how ever have a few prized possesions that I realy do not want to loose that I could throw up as "BUY back" collateral AND I have school loans that come in every semeter, garunteed! What I need is if anyone would be willing to work some sort of an arrangment were I could some how get $200.00 to my mom so she does not have to turn off her gas! She lives in Lousisana and winter will be comming up soon and the gas runs everything.

Here is some back ground, she is divorced with my little brother turning 18 on the 26th still at home in his final year of school. She makes less than $700.00 a month and they barely eat sometimes. This month her only vehicle kicked the damn bucket twice and she is now in the whole $200. She told me tonight in tears that the mechanic allowed her to leave a post date check til the first of the month. She says that she has no choice but to cut the gas off and it just drives me to drink that I unable to help her.

If some one would be willing to set up an IOU with the mods on this forum til my loans come in OR let me loan against my glock as a buy back in January, thats when the cash rolls in, I'll make it worth your time effort. I really feel like shit asking this or even offending anyones conscience on this, but I have lost alot while being in college and it hurts when I cannot help my own mother.

If anyone wants to make donations, which would be great, maybe a moderator could take the money, bundle it and send it to her on behalf of the guys here at AR15.COM.

I appreciate all of you for your time and efforts in this and hope that someone would be willing to help me out. Please, this has been har enough to come out and ask, please dont be offended by this request. Thanks.

**UPDATE** THE $200 HAS BEEN RAISED! THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING MY FAMILY IN OUR TIME OF NEED! IT WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN.**
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#1]
IM me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#2]
^
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Paypal account?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#4]
This is not a flame and I hope everything works out for your mother and you. You sound like you are broke also.

I can't believe some people are so broke they can't come up with $200 to fix a car or pay the gas bill.  How do people get into that kind of shape?

Does she have cable?
The internet?
A cell phone?
Paying interest on credit cards?
Multiple cards maxed out?

I don't know how old you are but it is amazing that an adult could not come up with $200 to help his mother.  
Why are you in such poor financial shape?  
Why are you taking loans?  
Do you have cable or a cell phone? (Obviously you have the internet)

Get rid of all your credit cards except one then pay it off to a zero balance every month!
If you can't afford it get rid of cell phones, stop going out to eat at restaurants and get rid of your cable.

Get another job.
Spend less than you make.
Live within your means.

(I wish you, your brother and your Mother the best)  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This is not a flame and I hope everything works out for your mother and you. You sound like you are broke also.

I can't believe some people are so broke they can't come up with $200 to fix a car or pay the gas bill.  How do people get into that kind of shape?

Does she have cable?
The internet?
A cell phone?

I don't know how old you are but it is amazing that an adult could not come up with $200 to help his mother.  

Get rid of all your credit cards except one then pay it off to a zero balance every month!
If you can't afford it get rid of cell phones, stop going out to eat at restaurants and get rid of your cable.

Get another job.
Live within your means.

Fair enough, I can answer some this.

My mother does not have any of the items you have mentioned at all, she cant afford them. Her money goes toward food, gas and utilities only.

I am 32 years old and have 4 children at home. We cannot afford to go out and eat or go to the movies. No we barely scrap enough to rent an ocassional movie. I take loans to pay for school and pay off my CC's since that is how we live month to month in a 2 bedroom apt while I try and bring my family out of a lower class level of society into a hopefully middle class society. We live pay check to pay check while I go full time and my wife works. The cost of living here is quite low and my wife only makes $7.32 and hour at the momment. We live off coupons and drive a mini van that has been on its last leg for more then a three years now. We do the best we can. Yes it is shameful that I can not help her. I would get a second job if I had the time and still keep my 3.4 GPA that I have held for 4 years now. I am trying and I appreciate your concerns and hope that this has clarified any questions.

To those who have responded, I am deeply grateful, thank you very much! I will have some one post a copy of the USPS MO as proof to those who have donated. I called my Mom and told her about the response so far and she could not speak. This means alot to me and will not be foregotten. Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Sell the Glock.

That will give you $200 easy

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried to do that today at the pawn shops and all they would give me is $100. I would have taken it, I would rather get a personal loan against it rather than give it away. Plus, my Mom knows this is what I usually do and it make her & my wife very mad when I sell off my guns.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#8]

I see this every day....We must make every sacrifice needed to take care of our parents.

MT

It is your mom you can always get another firearm.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#9]
If their is someone near by in Idaho that would buy the glock 31 FTF that is new less than 500 rnds, I would let it go for a reasonable price. It takes a long time for me to save up and replace this toy/tool!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Go post the gun for FTF in the EE, I expect it will sell quick.  

Id say post in it the hometown, but it would get locked.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#11]
What part of ID you in? I'm in WA.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#12]
There are places that will help your mom with her bill...

Many gas companies have funds for the people who can't afford a bill. Many of the employees donate to it. They will pay your bill for 1-2 months only though.

Churches also can help. I know Catholic Social Services helps with utility bills. You don't even need to be Catholic.

In many areas it is illegal for the utility companies to cut off a utility of an elderly or disabled person unless it has been a certain number of months. You might check into this.

SSI (Social Security Insurance) can also help. It's different than SSD and it is given to people having a tough time making ends meet.

Many churches have food programs as well. I volunteer time at one and we give out a FULL grocery cart of fresh meat, veggies, dairy, bread, etc for $11 every 2 weeks.. That ought to help out with the food bill. It's called "Project Manna" here.

Good luck..Glad you got the help you needed...

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Many gas companies have funds for the people who can't afford a bill. Many of the employees donate to it. They will pay your bill for 1-2 months only though.

Churches also can help. I know Catholic Social Services helps with utility bills. You don't even need to be Catholic.

In many areas it is illegal for the utility companies to cut off a utility of an elderly or disabled person unless it has been a certain number of months. You might check into this.

SSI (Social Security Insurance) can also help. It's different than SSD and it is given to people having a tough time making ends meet.

Many churches have food programs as well. I volunteer time at one and we give out a FULL grocery cart of fresh meat, veggies, dairy, bread, etc for $11 every 2 weeks.. That ought to help out with the food bill. It's called "Project Manna" here.

Thanks, I will look into these tommorrow. I thought SSI was for retired and the disabled.  

Thanks for all the reply's!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#14]

I take loans to pay for school and pay off my CC's since that is how we live month to month in a 2 bedroom apt while I try and bring my family out of a lower class level of society into a hopefully middle class society.

I just finished doing this myself.  It felt like I couldn't get a break.

If you will send me the Gas Company Information, I will pay $200 toward the bill.

I recently came into some $$$, and consider this part of the tithe my wife and I give (we are non-denominational Christian).  You can email me at:

[email protected]

Robert
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice heart Slash-5!

MT

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Nice heart Slash-5!

MT

It's not my money.  [shrug]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Slash-5

I am speechless! I can not begin to put in words my thanks. I just dont know what to say, but thank you! Email has been sent with Mom's info as requested! God bless you all who heeded the call!

BTW I will return all PP payments that have been received unless instructed otherwise! Thanks so much Slash, to you and yours.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#18]
$200? Set up a PayPal to her, I'll send $20
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Like I said, I've been exactly where you are.  It seemed like I just couldn't get a break.

My God bless you and your family.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Thank you!  Please, $200 has been raised no need for anymore replys, thanks guys!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice heart Slash-5!

MT

your right, if you consider it a tithe, its god's money.

Hang in there bro, I have been in some tough spots. Prayer works.
Wish I had some to send you, but I don't

Maybe we can set up a Slush Fund for the board to help members that have Emergencies like this.

Natural Disasters etc.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice heart Slash-5!

MT

Maybe we can set up a Slush Fund for the board to help members that have Emergencies like this.

Natural Disasters etc.

Line it up and I will throw in what the budget will allow, Ill be the first to donate! Great idea!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:57:51 AM EDT
[#23]
No one is spending money on tobacco products, right?

Quoted:

Does she have cable?
The internet?
A cell phone?

Get another job.
Live within your means.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:10:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:25:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Damn, I'm speechless too - Slash, that was a very nice thing you did.

And I think a Slush fund is a great idea - we can contribute to it annonymously if we like and it can be used for emergencies like this - people who use it can pay back into it when they need to.

If you all like, I can establish one and start it out with the first donation and administer it, or we can let another person take care of it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:49:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Used to have a similar fund on this board - I forget what happened to it...

My hat is off to the gentlemen who helped USMINUTeMAN's mom!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:57:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I tried to do that today at the pawn shops and all they would give me is $100. I would have taken it, I would rather get a personal loan against it rather than give it away. Plus, my Mom knows this is what I usually do and it make her & my wife very mad when I sell off my guns.

That would have brought you $100 closer.

You want her to have gas or not?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:59:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:59:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would have brought you $100 closer.

You want her to have gas or not?

SGatr15

Good Point
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:54:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice heart Slash-5!

MT

Natural Disasters etc.

Something like a 'Brother in Arms' fund?

I am glad to see that the need has been met.

God Bless,
BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#31]
USMINUTEMAN send me your mothers address I don't have much but God will see that I have a little to send her!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, I will look into these tommorrow. I thought SSI was for retired and the disabled.  

Thanks for all the reply's!

SSI can take a long time to get...I wouldn't count on quick income from it...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I called them today.  They could not take a debit card... Actually, it was pretty funny--the lady seemed genuinely surprised that someone would ask to pay that way.

So I sent a Postal MO (number 06970134475).  I just realized that I forgot to fill it out, but I did enclose a note with the account number, name and purpose.

The USPS tracking number is 03032460000116414360 .
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Something like a 'Brother in Arms' fund?

Deja vue
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#36]
The solution to this seems obvious--choose a member here who is unanimously trusted. I'm thinking of Ed Avila Sr. Or we could vote on someone who we feel to be capable of managing the fund--provided the member chosen is willing to undertake this duty.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn, I'm speechless too - Slash, that was a very nice thing you did.

And I think a Slush fund is a great idea - we can contribute to it annonymously if we like and it can be used for emergencies like this - people who use it can pay back into it when they need to.

If you all like, I can establish one and start it out with the first donation and administer it, or we can let another person take care of it.

One vote for no

We did this before and all the money sort of ... disappeared

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Sell Blood.

Sell sperm   (4 kids, must work )
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I called them today.  They could not take a debit card... Actually, it was pretty funny--the lady seemed genuinely surprised that someone would ask to pay that way.

So I sent a Postal MO (number 06970134475).  I just realized that I forgot to fill it out, but I did enclose a note with the account number, name and purpose.

The USPS tracking number is 03032460000116414360 .

Thank you SIr!!!! I will forward the info, thank you!

SLASH-5 I dedicate my 500th post to you and all here on AR15.COM, thank you gentlemen for your kindness! God Bless!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#39]
This place never ceases to amaze me. I am proud to be a member here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top