Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 6:21:07 PM EDT
I'm a huge fan of sci-fi novels written from a libertarian-esque standpoint, and of novels of any genre dealing with End Of The World As We Know It.  I've read most of Pournelle, Heinlen, Hogan, Rand and have read the "ar-15.com classics"(Patriots & U.C.)

Can anyone here know of any books or authors writing in either of these genres that they could recommend?

And no, this is not a trap.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#1]
L. Neil Smith, although he has a penchant for revolvers for some reason. Pallus, The American Zone, and the Probability Broach are very good reads.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#2]
In a mild hijack, can anyone tell me WTF is up with the goofy comma in John Wesley comma Rawles?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
In a mild hijack, can anyone tell me WTF is up with the goofy comma in John Wesley comma Rawles?

Christian name.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Freehold by  Michael Z. Williamson  (libertarian society vs UN earth)

John Ringo (Hymn before battle, Gust front, Devil dances, Hell's faire)
      milscifi (eath vs aliens from the infantrys perspective)

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The Journal Entries of Kennet Shardik are very libertarian sci-fi, but they're also pretty kinky hardcore erotica, so that might not be your thing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Christian name.

So, does everybody but me put a comma between his middle name and his surname (i.e., after his Christian name), or is this evidence of goobriety?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#7]
As above, L. Neil Smith's books "The Probability Broach" and "The Venus Belt" are as libertarian as it gets.

Plus, they're hilarious with appearances by odd people like a second-rate house burglar name "Tricky Dick Milhous", and a respected gun expert named "Captain Cooper", along with intelligent Apes and a Coyote with a two gun hat.

Another excellent author is F. Paul Wilson's earlier Si-Fi books, before he went to horror.
His LaNague Chronicles are great.  "Healer", "An Enemy of the State", and "Wheel Within Wheels" are all excellent, with "An Enemy of the State" a classic libertarian tale,  which was the first appearance of KYFHO.

This stands for "Keep Your F**King Hands OFF".
In Wilson's LaNague League there are two branches of KYFHO, the Flinter's and the Toliver's.
The Toliver's version of KYFHO, is "KYFHO, or I'll move away from you".  
The Flinter version is "KYFHO, Or I'll KILL you".

The entire LaNague books were gathered into one volume under" The LaNague Chronicles."
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I think his name is John Wesley.  He uses Rawles at the end beacause it is his Mother's family with whom he identifies closely....IIRC

(I think)
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Alas Babylon- Pat frank
Earth Abides- George Stewart
The New Madrid run- Michael Reisig
Out Of the Ashes- William Johnstone
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:55:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Island in the Sea of Time by SM Stirling was pretty neat - not post-apo but an interesting "thrown back in time" book - the entire island of Nantucket as well as a Coast Guard 3 mast training ship with some modern weapons.  Very cool.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:40:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Island in the Sea of Time by SM Stirling was pretty neat - not post-apo but an interesting "thrown back in time" book - the entire island of Nantucket as well as a Coast Guard 3 mast training ship with some modern weapons.  Very cool.

as long as you can stand the uber PC ness of his characters (main character is a black lesbian coastgaurd captain)
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:54:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The Journal Entries of Kennet Shardik are very libertarian sci-fi, but they're also pretty kinky hardcore erotica, so that might not be your thing.

but then again, they might be!

TXL
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#13]
try William Brinkley's the last ship,
may want to also try,
Jack McDevitt,
John Varley,  the wizard/titan/demon series was good (and sci fi not fantasy as the titles may suggest)
Phillip K. Dick's "do androids dream electric sheep" was odd, the movie (Bladerunner) much much better
ever read Frank Herbert's dune?
and for a good laugh, try Douglas Adams
rlc
edit to add: if you have read pournelle, did you like any of his stuff with niven?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Read a collection of short stories this spring called "Give Me Liberty" -- had some great stories ("Weapons Shops of Isher" and some others), only a couple of clunkers. I'd recommend it though. Found it at a used book store. It's **very** Libertarian in nature and some of the stories are very well thought out. None deal with TEOTWAWKI though...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

He has a new book: Dies the Fire.  

It deals with what happened to the rest of the US when Natucket disappeared.  It is post-apocalyptic and it ain't pretty.

Good book.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#16]
White Plague
by Frank Herbert
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#17]
A.E van Voigt is one I always liked.  Weapon Shops stories and The World of Null-A .

Rip

"The right to buy weapons is the right to be free"
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm just finishing up my first reading of Patriots and have been wondering the same thing!  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

as long as you can stand the uber PC ness of his characters (main character is a black lesbian coastgaurd captain)

I had no problem with it.  Great trilogy.

I strongly recommend Eric Flint's 1632, followed by the collaborative 1633 with David Weber.  A small West Virginia town (the entire town) is hurled back into Thuringen, Germany in the middle of the 30 Years War.  OUT-FREAKING-STANDING.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Have you read Lights Out over on frugalsquirrels.com?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just finishing up my first reading of Patriots and have been wondering the same thing!  

From his website FAQ AT www.rawles.to/appb.htm

I use the comma to make a distinction between my Christian name, and my family name. My Christian name (James Wesley) is my property. My family name (Rawles) is the common property of all those that share the Rawles bloodline, and our wives.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#22]
What is Libertarian Sci-Fi?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#23]
In answer to the question, "What is libertarian Sci-Fi?", the answer is:
their presidential campaign...

I heartily second L. Neil Smith. I remember thinking when I read one of his, "gee, he sounds like Ayn Rand after successful therapy."
I'd also recommend The Truth Machine by a guy named Halperin (I think). It's about the implications of a TOTALLY reliable lie detector.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I strongly recommend Eric Flint's 1632, followed by the collaborative 1633 with David Weber.  A small West Virginia town (the entire town) is hurled back into Thuringen, Germany in the middle of the 30 Years War.  OUT-FREAKING-STANDING.

yup great series, with no end in sight ( at least 4 more books contracted) with several similiar plot set in other times
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#25]
If you like zombie fiction head over to Homepage of the Dead.  In the fiction section the BODYSNATCHERS series will definately interest you.

www.homepageofthedead.com/fiction/index.html
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#26]
"Earth Abides"

An oldie, but a great book.  Probably the best ever written for TEOTWAWKI.

Ecclesiastes 1:4   Men come and go: but the earth abides for ever.

(Dern.  Now I'm going to have to dig it out and read it again.)
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
edit to add: if you have read pournelle, did you like any of his stuff with niven?

Yes, I discovered, and exhausted, Niven quite a few years ago. (It's always disapointing finding out you've read everything a great author has written.)

Thank you all for the suggestions!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I use the comma to make a distinction between my Christian name, and my family name. My Christian name (James Wesley) is my property. My family name (Rawles) is the common property of all those that share the Rawles bloodline, and our wives.

<-----------FLAL,1A
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yup great series, with no end in sight ( at least 4 more books contracted) with several similiar plot set in other times

+1
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<-----------FLAL,1A

Exactly what I was thinking. Whatever floats the guy's boat I guess.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#31]
There was a series by a guy named Edward Llewellen.
The first book was mostly sci fiction. Then the series became
a post melt down type series of books. Unfortunately he
died before he got to the end of the series.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top