Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2004 4:59:37 PM EDT
Hurricane Frances pretty much wiped out our food stores here at home. I had a number of "unexpected" guests during our nine days without power, and now need to replenish supplies. Who has the best deals as of late.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#2]
When you say "unexpected guests," do you mean the friendly type that you voluntarily give food to in a good Christian way, or the unbathed "have-nots" that raid your stash?  Sorry, lately I hadnt' had a need urgent enough to justify the costs of shipping.

I've seen that Cheaper than Dirt had a deal on a case of 12 (complete meals, not just entree) for $44.97.  I normally see them for $65, but like I said, I haven't bought any in awhile to know what availability is right now.  They also have 12 packs of individual entrees and the 96oz "squad" entrees listed on their web site, www.cheaperthandirt.com.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.meyerscustomsupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?

These are fresh...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Expensive-as-shit (cheaper-than-dirt) can ship a lot faster.  Try them.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
http://www.meyerscustomsupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?

These are fresh...

They're out until mid October.  Cheaper than dirt shows them still in stock.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#6]
These aren't cheap but they are just packaged fresh -

www.longlifefood.com
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Emergency Essentials

I'd be interested in getting information on the newest MREs and heaters. Anyone want to list their favorites?  Are there new heaters? One site says it sells a case of 288 "original heaters". Another says 360. I've been retired (US Army) over 11 years now and things DO change.

TIA
Sam
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Chicken Tetrazinni is really good.

My dog wouldn't eat the grilled beef patty; it was disgusting.

Patsta with vegetables? Who the fuck wants a veggie MRE? It sucked.

I can't remember whether it was beef or chicken, but something-with-mushrooms was a good one as well.

The heaters are cool.
You pour a little water in a bag that has a chem-wafer in it.
Then slide the entree in, fold the top of the bag over, and stuff the whole mess into the box that the entree came in.
It boils away in there and lets off steam.
It'll burn you if you're not careful; food comes out piping hot.
I was impressed.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't smoke around the heaters. They release Hydrogen gas.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:07:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Unless you need to be mobile with your food why go MRE's? I love 'em don't get me wrong, but if I'm staying put for the most part I'd stock up on canned goods first and only throw in an MRE here and there just for the varity and novelty factor of it due to cost and limited menus. Cans have a much longer true shelf life and the endless menu selection.

BTW- If you get some MRE's here's a tip I learned from a neat Boston Mass soldier while I was at Air Assault School. Get a Country Captain Chicken and a Beef Stew MRE. Use the buttered noodles as a base from the CCC and put the beef stew main course over that. MMMM MMM good. Just like eating beef stroganof (sp?).

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:19:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh yeah, almost forgot.

http://www.savon.com/shop/assets/product/757145/75714500536.jpg

They have a nifty little pack of them about the size of a roll of quarters.
I stock em right with the MREs.

You'll regret it if you don't.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:35:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Try Major Surplus and Survival, they run specials on a regular basis.  Ops
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top