Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2004 4:48:21 PM EDT
Here's the situation;  

I find myself with about 6 starlights to fill.  My plan is to put together one starlight apiece together for my wife and myself,  I.E. one long weapon of the users choice, one sidearm,  several hundred rounds of ammo and maybe some accessories.  The idea being sort of  a self contained mobile shooting/defensive/BOB/SHTF container.

Before I lay into the 70 dollar foam with a razor blade,  I want to see some of the awesome cases you guys have made and how they are organized.  I have some ideas in mind but  if I have learned one thing about this site,  there is always someone with a better idea

So lets see 'em!

CrashBurnRepeat
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#1]
tagged...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Pistol case, 2 mag slots, 2 mags per slot. Total of 5 mags (including one in pistol)

http://fox302.com/index.pl?s=vf&user=Shockwave&category=Guns&file=Case_open.jpg

In addition, its deep enough betwene the lid and foam I can also fit a box of shells. So total I could probably get 5 mags and 2 to 4 boxes of shells too. The case is a Brinks Home Security case I picked up from Wal Mart for 10 bucks. Its not much, but it keeps the gun out of the kids hands.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Pistol case, 2 mag slots, 2 mags per slot. Total of 5 mags (including one in pistol)

In addition, its deep enough betwene the lid and foam I can also fit a box of shells. So total I could probably get 5 mags and 2 to 4 boxes of shells too. The case is a Brinks Home Security case I picked up from Wal Mart for 10 bucks. Its not much, but it keeps the gun out of the kids hands.

NICE!  Keep 'em coming!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Here are a couple of the factory cased kits I own, I have not seen the need to customise.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Watch the weight, I've got a few starlights and for a while there were two ARs and one 590A1 in one case (one AR and an 590A1 sharing the same layer, the 2nd AR on its own layer), it was friggen IMPOSSIBLE for me to move around easily, it weighed too damn much.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Here are a couple of the factory cased kits I own, I have not seen the need to customise.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/AILapua/AWMAWP.jpg

I hate you!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd really like to have a nylon equivalent.  It'd be nice to have a rifle case that had an exterior mag carrier that was detachable to become a chest rig or something, and a pistol pouch with room for mags.

I'd also really like to see, more practically speaking, a nylon rifle/pistol case that would hold all the gear I'd need for one of my club's pistol/rifle matches.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#8]
This is already the best thread of the day, especially for the GD. It's become a quagmire of politicos and retards lately.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Not custom but here is what I did with my Starlight.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Watch the weight, I've got a few starlights and for a while there were two ARs and one 590A1 in one case (one AR and an 590A1 sharing the same layer, the 2nd AR on its own layer), it was friggen IMPOSSIBLE for me to move around easily, it weighed too damn much.

Kharn

That's a really good point.  Did you have the optional wheels kit on yours?  I won't have too much trouble moving it but my wife will have issues if it's too heavy. I think the plan will be that I move both if them if needs be.  But we'll watch the weight pretty close.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I made this custom case for my duty shotgun.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice thread Guys!

Nice Pics!

MT
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Tag.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#16]
FWIW Brack is having another sale-an overrun of Cabelas branded pistol cases for $35. Go check the Snipercountry emporium.

ETA-For those who may not know, Brack Wilson of Starlight
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#17]
good thread, Tagged!

Nimrod1193, I've been wanting to make one of those for some time now. I see the Thompson website has some for sale, but I'm too cheap to shell out that much for one. Can you point me into a direction where you got that case from; all Violin cases I found online are more triangular and don't have nice curves like your case does. Perhaps some instructions on how you made that would be nice. Looks VERY nice.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#18]
crashburnrepeat:
Yes, mine has the wheels.
Only problem: since they're the size of rollar blade wheels, they suck for dirt/gravel or anything other than concrete or interior flooring.  The case weighed damn near 45lbs with the three guns in it, and it would just sink into the gravel at my range's parking lot; I'd end up dragging it around or doing a pitiful job of carrying it rather than wheeling it.  Now I stick with two long guns per case, max.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#19]
tag
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
good thread, Tagged!

Nimrod1193, I've been wanting to make one of those for some time now. I see the Thompson website has some for sale, but I'm too cheap to shell out that much for one. Can you point me into a direction where you got that case from; all Violin cases I found online are more triangular and don't have nice curves like your case does. Perhaps some instructions on how you made that would be nice. Looks VERY nice.

Got the case from a local music shop.  Took a lot of effort to remove the original lining without harming the case.  I used 1/2" polystyrene wall insulation which I cut to shape and layered in the case.  The lining was fake fur fabric I picked up at a local fabric store.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Bump.  Interesting stuff here.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Tagged
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:05:22 AM EDT
[#23]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:20:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The case weighed damn near 45lbs with the three guns in it...

Kharn

The Stralight case most of you are using is bigger than a Pelican 1750, of course it is ging to be heavy.  The Pelican 1700 is a better case. Perfect size for an M4 and accessories. But small enough to be managable.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The case weighed damn near 45lbs with the three guns in it...

Kharn

The Stralight case most of you are using is bigger than a Pelican 1750, of course it is ging to be heavy.  The Pelican 1700 is a better case. Perfect size for an M4 and accessories. But small enough to be managable.

I'll have to look at one of those,  I've never seen one.  Most of us are using the starlights because of the incredible deal they had on them at Sams club a while back.

I was in Sams club and they had them for about 50 bucks. On the website they were about 200.  I bought one and thought I could always get them for that. Well at SHOT show I ran into the guy who makes starlights.  I mentioned I'd just bought one of his cases at Sams club and he launched into this hiliarous tirade against Sam's club and how they undercut all his dealers and his dealers were pissed and they violated contract and stuff.  He also said those sons-a-bitches would never get another case of his for any reason.

End result was I went back home and bought all the rest of the cases.  I've sold a few to friends and the like and given a few as gifts but for 50 bucks I couldn't pass these up.  Hell the cheap crappy ones at walmart are about 35.

They are big but they fit me fine,  my only problem is transporting them. The damn things are so long that getting them in cargo area of any truck is an issue. I don't own a pickup so I am left with a suburban or CJ5. Suburban works OK but the CJ5 is pure comedy. I ususally just hook up my WWII jeep trailer and throw them in that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:40:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:47:42 AM EDT
[#27]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:58:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Upper part:

Lower part:

My small Starlight:

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
My small Starlight:

Dear god those are some big Beretta mags!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top