Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 4:26:58 PM EDT
Memo to Self
RE: Chocolate

While unsweetened chocolate, especially Swiss, has a great number of uses, chocolate chips for cookies are not among them. Please refrain from using the expensive and nasty chocolate in your cookies in the futre.

Signed, self.

GAAAAAH! These cookies are nasty. Bitter as hell and with almost no taste of chocolate. Seriously, 99% cacao chocolate is not good for cookies.

Also, every angel-food cake I've ever made has fallen. I don't quite know why, but they do.

Any of you guys had miserable failures when you've cooked?

And no, because I can cook does not make me gay. Hell, don't most women like men who can cook? Saves them the trouble.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
that's a lesson many folks have learned.

Just doesn't work.  Now you know.  And knowing is half the battle!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't bother with cooking. I just turn on the TV and watch Nigella bounce her big boobies all over the kitchen.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I took a home ec class in jr. high as an elective. One of the assignments was to bake a cake.

A couple of asshats weren't following the recipe and dumped in 3 cups of salt instead of sugar.

First time I'd ever tried salt lick cake.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

And no, because I can cook does not make me gay.

From the sound of it you cant cook so your ok anyhow h.gif
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I've stopped trying to use bacon in many things.

Bacon in Lasagna Nope!
Bacon in Chili  Nope!

However small pieces of bacon stuffed into slits on your Thanksgiving Turkey= Yummy goodness!

Go easy with the Soy sauce in everything.

Presoak the barley when making soup, unless you wanted one big glop.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't bother with cooking. I just turn on the TV and watch Nigella bounce her big boobies all over the kitchen.

Nothing wrong with that!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Make tuna, but with bbq sauce instead of mayo, it's pretty good.  That's about the length of my cooking ability.

Digital
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Cooking does not make you gay, but baking does.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I love cooking but I don't do desserts.  They are time intensive and require a lot of skill.  Don't feel badly about how you did.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the sound of it you cant cook so your ok anyhow

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Desserts are actually typically the easiest things for me to do. Everybody says éclairs are very difficult. Pfft. Just mix the puff pastry, pipe it, bake it, fill it. Coat it with chocolate if necessary.

The main difficulty is that baking, which is what most desserts require, really requires a lot more precision than cooking. In cooking, you can easily try substituting cayenne for ancho, or make a dish with chicken instead of fish. In baking, something like even distribution of butter can make the difference between a moist, tender cake and a dry rock. And breads? Well, getting just about anything wrong can ruin it. I've had rolls that got messed up because it was too cold in the room. Wouldn't rise.

Although I think I figured out why my angel-food cakes fell. Back when I was making them, I didn't know the difference between folding and stirring. The difference, of course, being that folding is the technique that DOESN'T collapse the bubbles in the egg-whites.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Desserts are actually typically the easiest things for me to do. Everybody says éclairs are very difficult. Pfft. Just mix the puff pastry, pipe it, bake it, fill it. Coat it with chocolate if necessary.

The main difficulty is that baking, which is what most desserts require, really requires a lot more precision than cooking. In cooking, you can easily try substituting cayenne for ancho, or make a dish with chicken instead of fish. In baking, something like even distribution of butter can make the difference between a moist, tender cake and a dry rock. And breads? Well, getting just about anything wrong can ruin it. I've had rolls that got messed up because it was too cold in the room. Wouldn't rise.

Although I think I figured out why my angel-food cakes fell. Back when I was making them, I didn't know the difference between folding and stirring. The difference, of course, being that folding is the technique that DOESN'T collapse the bubbles in the egg-whites.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Well said.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I've learned that vanilla extract doesn't taste as good as it smells.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top