Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 1:17:30 PM EDT
Whats a good brand and style of cowboy boots?  Ill mostly be using them for working and not riding.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Ariat
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to have a pair of Justins that lasted a long time, till I grew another size. If I get another pair I'm going to look for a pair of Elephant skins...just cause
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there such a thing...I don't know many people who have pointed feet. If you want to feel good at the end of a work day and you don't ride a horse during it...get a shoe that is shaped like your foot.

Save your back some stress...

MT

Just my opinion ... not trying to start anything. Just hoping people will take care of themselves a little better.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I worked in the biz for five years.  Tell us more......what type of heel, what toe shape, any particular hide, height of the tops, etc...???

Generally speaking for a true cowboy style boot, Tony Lama or Nocona is your two best choices.  For a Roper style, you want Justin.

If you want to spend more $$$, look at the Ariat boots.

If you want a really comfy work boot (rubber sole), try the Justin Work Boots.

BTW, for years now, Justin, TL, and Nocona have been owned by the same outfit.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Whats a good brand and style of cowboy boots?  Ill mostly be using them for working and not riding.

For work Boots Get Ariat or Wolverine Boots. Justin Boots are pure Junk.  They are pretty to look at though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#6]
BTT anybody else?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#7]
tony lamas ,dan post, are some of the 12 pair i own,,,,i have some ive worn for 12yrs,, and still holding up...i cant remeber all the names but i have at least 3of each of the post and lamas,,,mostly bull shoulder,,eel.,lizard,,, deer,,,,snake ectect
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Ariat. They are worth the extra money.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#9]
if you going to use them for work and alot of walking i would go with justin ropers. the lower heel helps alot!  http://www.justinfootwear.com/    I had a pair of the lites for work. they held up for over a year. i use to walk alot.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ariat

+1
If you want cowboy style work boots Redwings has the absolute best there is.  for an arm and a leg.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Have been wearing Justin ropers at work for a long time, and they work for me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Lucchese, well worth the money.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Mercedes
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Lucchese is my favorite.  I own two pair and believe they will be it from now on.  I also have several pair of Dan Post, Tony Lama, Nacona, Justin, and Olathe (excellent handmades) and a few others, but the Lucchese gets my vote.  Spend a few extra bucks.  Your feet with thank you for it.
Regards,
Rich
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Brahma, or Ariat, I wear both out of all my boots, they are my favorite, and most comfortable
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Forgot to add that boots from Olathe are great.

But, they are prone to being mis-sized. A size 10 is not always a size 10 with them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Also wanted to add that, while they are good boots, Ariats are extremely over-priced.

Especially their made in China stuff.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Tony Lama, Ariat, Justin, Nocona. I have found the Dan Post and other "name" brands too narrow.  What ever brand you settle on if your not riding look for a roper style. Low walking heel  and rounf toe are the way to go.  If you do ride, look at the more pointed toe and the riding heel. Those heels are hard to walk in but well worth it if you ride or work in the saddle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Rubber soles (techno-crepe to Justin) are the deal now. My favorites for work are the Justin's with the Kevlar sole. Larry Mahan are my favorite all-arounds with Post and Nocona as seconds. My wife likes Ariat's.

Can't hardly wear my leather soles any more after a couple years on the Kevlar...

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Also wanted to add that, while they are good boots, Ariats are extremely over-priced.

Especially their made in China stuff.

I agree.  I ain't buyin' no chinese made cowboy boots.

I wore Justin rubber soled US Made cowboy boots for a while.  I know have a US Made set of HH boots.  Both brands are very comfortable for a cowboy boot and hold up very well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Ariat.  Ariat.  Ariat.
These boots have rubber non-skid soles, metal arches, contoured insoles and they simply don't want to wear out.
The only problem I have ever had with Arait boots is by the time your current pair wear out, they are no longer available. I solved that by buying three pairs at a time.
You will love the boots. I wear out Justins in six months or less. My Arait boots last two years, minimum.
Also, they don't cost that much more.
Doug  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:49:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Wearin' Ariat ropers as we speak!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Nothin wrong with Justins for work or play.  I wear them (Work Ropers) all the time.

I personally don't go for the double-stitched pointy-toed shit kickers, but to each his own.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:31:59 AM EDT
[#24]
I wear Ariats, but mostly to ride.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:35:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Dan Post.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I know nothing about them, but do have a question.  Is there such a thing as a 'modern' cowboy boot?  What do the typical cowboy boots have that other work oriented boot type doesn't?  I'm not sure why they have survived into the modern era outside of the 'western' apparel business.  They seem archaic and I'm simply wondering as they are as common around here as derbey hats (that is, NOT).
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:51:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Everyone has covered the brands...let me recommend the type.

Do NOT get a pointed toe and slant heel.  These boots are made to be worn while sitting at a bar trying to pick up women.  

Look at something with a round toe and short straight heel.  Ropers are good...anything similar to a wellington.  Don't rule out a lace-up roper either.  Justin makes some good ones that are designed as work boots.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I know nothing about them, but do have a question.  Is there such a thing as a 'modern' cowboy boot?  What do the typical cowboy boots have that other work oriented boot type doesn't?  I'm not sure why they have survived into the modern era outside of the 'western' apparel business.  They seem archaic and I'm simply wondering as they are as common around here as derbey hats (that is, NOT).

The rubber soles and rounded toes are the modern cowboy boot. They survive here because some things are the same as they've always been. And for Texans that get off concrete, they'll stop a snake bite too. Work boots are based on cowboy boots and they are one and the same to me... You can tell alot about a man here by his boots (style and condition of 'em). Tourists stick out like a sore thumb
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#29]
For "modern" boots I wear lace up, rubber soled WOLVERINES.  I'm not certain where they're made but their comfortable and durable. (Also, people remark "nice boots" when I'm waving an AK over my head and screaming "WOLVERINES!!!")

Right now I'm wearing a pair of Panhandle Slim's traditional slip on boots.  I think they're made out of Vagina er, beaver.  They were my dad's and he pruchased them in 1984 IIRC.  I've been wearing them for 4-5 years now.  They only look better and better.

Oh, they're not Beaver- Actually it's Elephant, but still I can't seem to wear em out! (They've lasted 20 years, been re-soled a bunch)

Sly
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Ill be using the boots mostly for ranchwork, with a little horse riding here and there. So is a boot with a rounded toe, and straight heel best suited for that purpose?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#31]
For work, nothing but Ariat rubber sole work boots, well worth the money, comfortable and will outlast any other boot I've tried in 22yrs in the cattle business!

For play, Ariat, Tony Lama, or Lucchese all with a crepe sole!

Justins are a waste of money! IMHO.

teamroper2004
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Ill be using the boots mostly for ranchwork, with a little horse riding here and there. So is a boot with a rounded toe, and straight heel best suited for that purpose?

Yes, get what's called a "roper" style boot, usaually a round toe and 1" heel.

A rubber sole would be okay for a little horseback riding, but if you're going to be working on horseback, a rubber sole can get your foot hung in a stirrup if you fall or get bucked-off, which could get you dragged by the horse until you come loose or get stepped on, not very fun!

For a lot a riding, I'd suggest either leather or crepe soles.

teamroper2004
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Yes, get what's called a "roper" style boot, usaually a round toe and 1" heel.

What brands have "roper" style boots?  
Are "roper" style boots called anything else?

Thanks for all the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top