Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 11:49:32 AM EDT
I go to the range to do some plinking and test fire a No Ban AR that I assembled. While loading mags, I noticed a bee hovering over my hand. I gave subtle "go away" sweep with my arm. That was a bad move. That sweeping motion, caught the bee between my watch and my wrist. Guess what? He was pissed and preceeded to show me how much so. Yup, I got stung. This makes two bee stings in two consecutive trips to the range (same range). The other time hurt a bit and left welt the size of a quarter for about a week. This time, my wrist and backhand are swollen to the point of medical concern. Maybe it's because he got me in an area that was thin skinned and near my veins. Last time, it was just above the knee. I tried to take pics, but I'm left handed, and that's where I got hit.

The G/F is deadly allergic to bee stings and isn't taking this lightly. So, after lunch, I'm off to the Dr.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess the next time you go to the range, you need to put on some insect repellant.

At the local range where I go to, every once in a long while you see snakes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The G/F is deadly allergic to bee stings and isn't taking this lightly. So, after lunch, I'm off to the Dr.

... sounds like you have a potential for an allergic reaction as well. BTW, how'd the no-ban run?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#3]
For some people, bee stings are one of those "gets worse every time it happens" kind of things.

Poison oak and Ivy are similar.  As a kid I used to be immune to the stuff, but as time went by, I started to get alittle, then alittle more, them alittle more, etc.  Once your exposed to it, it can get worse and worse with every exposure.

I currently still only have a mild reaction to poison oak and ivy, but I stay away from it because I don't want it to get to the same point as my brother who is almost deadly allergic to the stuff and has been for most of his life.

My brother also started out as having little or no reaction to bee stings, but as time went by while we were children, the more he got stung, the worse it got and now he is almost to the point of a hospital visit every single time it happens.  I on the other hand have taken bee stings like they were nothing more then a poke with a needle from a doctors office and I don't seem to get any worse every time they happen.  Different body chemistry I guess.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I got stung about a month aog while cutting grass. Seems there was a nest of wasps inside the framing of my grandfathers boat. I had forgotton how bad it hurts not having been stung since elementry school. We are only so lucky that we dont have the giant asian hornet. Those are deadly scary
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Were they "Rio Salado" bees? Those things used to get me on a fairly regular basis.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Were they "Rio Salado" bees? Those things used to get me on a fairly regular basis.

Yeah, leave a soda open, and watch them swarm!
I swear the bastards can see a Pepsi at 800 yards.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Tell the Doc you want *two* Epi-Pens. Then just remember to throw one in the range bag. If you feel your throat start to swell..... It's like a weapon, no substitute when needed
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Alot more people die from bee stings, then from accidental or neglagent discharges.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I The G/F is deadly allergic to bee stings and isn't taking this lightly. So, after lunch, I'm off to the Dr.

G/F should check all other areas for un-expected "swelling" and administer aid as needed.
I'm not a doctor but...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yup, thems the little bastards. I didin't even have a soda with me. I quess they could smell how sweet I am.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Tell the Doc you want *two* Epi-Pens. Then just remember to throw one in the range bag. If you feel your throat start to swell..... It's like a weapon, no substitute when needed

And a lot of Morons panic and shoot themselves when they dont need to , or a family member in panic shoots themselves trying to give it to you...

Im  a firefighter and went to 3 of these type of calls in August alone, not one time did the person need that EPI pen...

Make sure your Doc tells you how to do it, Make sure you know WHEN  you need it, and most of all make sure those around you know how to use it and are not scared of it!... Panic Kills more than Bee stings...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Hope you're feeling better. I hate bees. Never been stung and don't ever want to be. I hate bees.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Not to hijack (ok, yes, to hijack) but is that your AR in your avatar? That wood furniture looks very cool. Got larger pics?

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#14]
did you bring an HMR .17? that's be about right for bees, huh?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Take a Benydrl antihistamine and chill out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#16]
A couple of weeks ago I had a Wasp pestering me at the range . He refused to leave
my bench , buzzing around my head and hands  . I kept shooting hoping the noise or smoke would drive it away , but it wasn’t working . Finally I had enough and went to the garbage can and found a Pepsi can with a drizzle in the bottom , I poured a few drops on the Muzzle brake of my AR-10 and then sat and waited . Sure enough Mr. Wasp took the bait and started buzzing around the end of the barrel , I waited till he was about a 1/2 inch away from the blast enhancer and vaporized his ass .

The guy at the next bench must have been watching the battle of wits between me and the insect because he laughed his ass off when I did it . Funny how small thing can be so amusing
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yep.

One crawled out on my friend's lip last week.  It was in his soda can.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
A couple of weeks ago I had a Wasp pestering me at the range . He refused to leave
my bench , buzzing around my head and hands  . I kept shooting hoping the noise or smoke would drive it away , but it wasn’t working . Finally I had enough and went to the garbage can and found a Pepsi can with a drizzle in the bottom , I poured a few drops on the Muzzle brake of my AR-10 and then sat and waited . Sure enough Mr. Wasp took the bait and started buzzing around the end of the barrel , I waited till he was about a 1/2 inch away from the blast enhancer and vaporized his ass .

The guy at the next bench must have been watching the battle of wits between me and the insect because he laughed his ass off when I did it . Funny how small thing can be so amusing

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, thems the little bastards. I didin't even have a soda with me. I quess they could smell how sweet I am.

Ahhh, the "Rio Bees"....I drank one of the little bastards one day.....crawled right down the straw of my thirst buster...how I did NOT get stung is a mystery to me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok, it looks like my hand will be puffy and painful for a while. Other than that, I'll be fine. The Doc gave me some Prednisone for a couple of days. He even said I could take a day off. Unfortunately, unless he's going to take me off for 2 or more, I may as well go back to work. My work has an attendance policy that counts it as 1 occurance. Too many occurance in 1 year is BAD.  So, I'll have to buck up and tough it out.

Next time, I'll employ chrome1's tactic. A Bushy upper with an AK brake should do nicely.

Winston - I'll get the range report on a separate thread

the- Yes the avtar AR is MINE MINE MINE ALL MINE!  Pic sent

No epi pen for me, the reaction wasn't severe enough.

The sucky part is that I'm left handed, and that's where the bugger got me. I can fuction fine, just with a bit of discomfort.

I'm sticking with making dinner tonight. Tonights menu consists of fettucine alfredo with broccoli and baked chicken breast. After dinner and a movie, the G/F can check and treat any additional swelling.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I consider myself lucky in that  I don't have any allergic reactions to bee stings.   I get stung every year.   Last year while cutting the grass, I got hit once on the chin and once on my upper lip.   This year while checking out my dove lease I grabbed the gate to open it only to find out that I grabbed a hornets nest on the opposite side of the gate.   It was the deep red ones.   One got me on my little finger, one on my wrist, two on my elbow and three on my back.   The only one that bothered me was the one on my little finger.   My brother in law who was in the truck laughing said the rest of the hive chased me about 30 feet and then returned to the nest.   He also said for a big guy you move pretty damn  fast.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I remember, very vividly, getting stung on my tounge by one of those little bastards. Yup, was in my soda can.

That hurt..... bad.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Baste your targets with soda or some other similar substance. Put it out at 7, 25, 50 yards or whatever strikes your fancy. Then go to town on the 200 or 300 yard diamonds of the turkey they've got at Rio. Should you notice any bees on the prepared target, get out your .22 (pistol, but I much prefer my rifle) and go to town.

Never been stung at Rio yet, and I don't plan to either.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Just one of my pet peeves: Was it a bee or a wasp? Bees are generally non-agressive (except for killer bees), because if they sting, they die. They're usually brown, and hairy, and don't have the characteristic wasp-waist. Yellowjackets, a type of wasp, can sting as much as they like, because their stinger isn't barbed. They're yellow and hairless.

It just bugs me when people get them confused. Maybe because we keep bees, and the neighbors kept complaining, when it turns out that yellowjackets were their annoyance.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Oh it was a bee allright. I watched the guy try crawl out from under my watch, while leaving me little keepsake. Since I could see the stinger he left behind, I was free to squash him like a bug with no ill consequence. The bees are known to frquent that particular shooting range.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Just take a couple of benadryl.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#27]
september and october are two of the worst months for bees because thier venom is at full blast.  picked up a 7 year old today at a footbal game got stung 2x within 2 hours. Bye the time we got there her eyes were swollen shut and she could not swallow. Epi did the trick along with some benadryl.

Get an EPI pen it might save your life.

I don't care if its a bee, yellow jacket, wasp, hornet or whatever i don't like em.  

I do like honey though so I guess bees are ok as long as they stay away from me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Just take a couple of benadryl.

I went and got some, thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top