Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 8:24:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw this last night on the news.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Gee what a shocker.

I'm not sure, but I think this has been covered in another post.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Amazing.  Burkett has a grudge against the Guard.  His lawyer wants to be a judge.  Burkett lost an appeal for money against the Guard.  The Kerry campaign needs dirt.   Burkett and his lawyer concoct an idea to get Burkett money, his lawyer to get either a Judge-ship or appointment in the Kerry Presidency and help the Kerry campaign.  They contact Cleland, make a bargain and send the documents.  Cleland sends the document onto CBS to get it out as fast as possible to begin the attack.

No one in this enterprise thought that people would question them or the documents.  I looked at the comparison of a real docs and the fakes.....even Killian's signature is COMPLETELY different, like there was no attempt to copy an original.

As long as this is not some sort of gargantuan setup, this has got to be the torpedo in the ship.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Even at my age, and from my years as a journalist (I have been in recovery for 20 years), I am still amazed that CBS thought they would get away with this.

Because they wanted this story to be real, they were happy to violate all the rules of good journalism (as taught to me in the '70s) and ran with a nothing story after FIVE YEARS of "investigation."

The part of this that doesn't seem to get discussed is that after FIVE YEARS OF INVESTIGATION, all CBS had was forged documents from a bitter, partisan, head case.

Dan once said during a trial that, "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, it's a duck."

Well, Danny Boy, this story looks like shit, feels like shit, and smells like shit.  Using the Rather test of truth, this story is pure shit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:17:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I saw this last night on the news.

TV actually covered it?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Even at my age, and from my years as a journalist (I have been in recovery for 20 years), I am still amazed that CBS thought they would get away with this.

Because they wanted this story to be real, they were happy to violate all the rules of good journalism (as taught to me in the '70s) and ran with a nothing story after FIVE YEARS of "investigation."

The part of this that doesn't seem to get discussed is that after FIVE YEARS OF INVESTIGATION, all CBS had was forged documents from a bitter, partisan, head case.

Dan once said during a trial that, "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, it's a duck."

Well, Danny Boy, this story looks like shit, feels like shit, and smells like shit.  Using the Rather test of truth, this story is pure shit.

They convinced themselves it was true because they so badly wanted it to be true.  Watch them scream partisan motivation if somebody gets prosecuted (as they deserve to) for forging those documents.  Letting this one slide will only set another precedent for lower campaign standards in the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top