Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 1:00:23 AM EDT
At least 90% of all the shooting I do is with one hand (competitve target shooting). I noticed that whenever I shoot combat handguns, I do much better with one hand rather than with two hands. I am faster and more accurate with one hand.

Since almost all of the shooting I do is with one hand, should I mainly shoot with one hand when combat shooting?

Shooting with one hand feels more natural to me, and I shoot better that way. But am I at a disadvantage if I shoot with one hand in combat?

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:06:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
At least 90% of all the shooting I do is with one hand (competitve target shooting). I noticed that whenever I shoot combat handguns, I do much better with one hand rather than with two hands. I am faster and more accurate with one hand.

Since almost all of the shooting I do is with one hand, should I mainly shoot with one hand when combat shooting?

Shooting with one hand feels more natural to me, and I shoot better that way. But am I at a disadvantage if I shoot with one hand in combat?

Whatever works? I've also noticed I shoot pistols better one handed, but with practice, I got better using two.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:06:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Your question answers itself.  

If you do better with one hand when doing combat shooting, then use one hand.

Do what works for you.

But honestly I find it hard to believe that anyone could be as fast and accurate with one hand consistantly over two hand shooting. But maybe that is because I only do combat type shooting and have always shot with the classic weaver stance etc.

Maybe your mileage varies.

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is  mine"  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:07:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
But am I at a disadvantage if I shoot with one hand in combat?

Only if you miss.

Shoot whichever way allows you to put holes in your target quickly and accurately.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:07:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
But honestly I find it hard to believe that anyone could be as fast and accurate with one hand consistantly over two hand shooting. But maybe that is because I only do combat type shooting and have always shot with the classic weaver stance etc.

The vast majority of the shooting I do is with one hand.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:20:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Your post here about this subject has me very curious.

I am curious what you define as combat shooting.  

It seems if we don't have an understanding of what we both are doing during combat shooting practice, then we could not arrive at an understanding.

Here is what I do.  

1.  I only use carry holsters or mexican carry when I shoot combat style. No special practical pistol compitition holsters for me. Or mag holders. Usually this means a shoulder holster. But I have an in the pants holster as well.

2.  No special clothing. I wear what I would wear when I carry.  That means if I am wearing a shoulder holster, I must wear some kind of coat over it as I would when I carry.  Same for an in the pants holster etc.

3.  I set up three to six human silowette targets at varying distances.  Usually five to thiry yards.  

4.  I have someone time me if possible.

5.  I have them also say go for me to start me if I have someone to do so.

6.  On go, I draw my piece and put two rounds in each target as quickly as possible.

I use a .45 sig usually but at times I use an colt type 45.  

Upon the draw I usually put two rounds in the center body mass (at five yards) in about five seconds.  

The odd thing about this is, that sometimes I get two bullets through the same hole or very close on one or more targets.

Now grant you this is close range. But I think most defense senarios will be at close range.

What is your combat shooting like?  

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:25:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

To me, it is shooting guns that are designed for combat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:31:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To me, it is shooting guns that are designed for combat.

I understand your definition, but what do you shoot, what kind of holster, what kind of target/targets how many rounds per target, and what are your times?

How can we answer your question if we don't know what you are doing?  

"To me, it is shooting guns that are designed for combat"  

With that definition I might assume you are shooting rifles one handed.  

Zen

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:40:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I understand your definition, but what do you shoot, what kind of holster, what kind of target/targets how many rounds per target, and what are you times?

I shoot a Glock 34 at a silhouette target.  None of the ranges around here allow holsters.  I don`t know about my times.  None of the ranges allow rapid fire (one shot per second only).  I usually go a bit faster than that, though.  Please understand that I do not specialize in combat shooting.  I have only been able to attend a couple IDPA shoots in the past year.  I wouldn`t say that I am fast and accurate when compared to the guys who specialize in this.  All I notice is that when I do shoot combat handguns, I shoot much better with one hand than with two.

edited because I can't speak good.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:49:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Wow, it gives me an appreciation for living in the semi free state of montana.

I won't tell you the kind of things we do at our range here. (it is out of doors of course with a nice big mountain as a back stop)  

Too bad about the restrictions at those ranges. Is it a calif kind of thing?  

You might try doing some of this kind of shooting (two handed weaver combat) as I and others do if you can find a range or a wilderness area to do it in. I think you would like it.

It's a blast.  (no pun intended)

And, ... I think you would be amazed at how quickly you would get real good at it.  

Good luck.

Zen

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:55:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Wow, it gives me an appreciation for living in the semi free state of montana.

I won't tell you the kind of things we do at our range here. (it is out of doors of course with a nice big mountain as a back stop)  

Too bad about the restrictions at those ranges. Is it a calif kind of thing?  

You might try doing some of this kind of shooting (two handed weaver combat) as I and others do if you can find a range or a wilderness area to do it in. I think you would like it.

It's a blast.  (no pun intended)

And, ... I think you would be amazed at how quickly you would get real good at it.  

Good luck.

Zen

I don`t know if it`s a Kalifornia thing.  I haven`t shot at many ranges out of state.  But, at all the ranges I have been to around where I live, they all say no holsters - no rapid fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top