Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2004 7:57:47 PM EDT
Lately I've noticed that when people greet each other in groups they refer to the group as Guys even if there are females in the bunch. I've even noticed girls greeting other groups of girls this way.

Not me. Aint gonna happen. It just don't seem right.

Should this be made a poll question?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#1]
just another sign of the appocalypse.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#2]
No, and you should hang out with people who do not think of girls as guys.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#3]
"Guy" is a generic term...it can mean either male or female...
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#4]

It started in the south as a gay term.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#5]
guy- noun. 1.Informal. A man; a fellow. 2.guys Informal. Persons of either sex.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey guy, have you seen the way sgar15 looks at my ass?  I don't know, guy but I think he wants some boy pussy.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#7]
"Guy" is not a generic term. Just as a lot of the words major news broadcasters use are not really words.

Just because you heard it somewhere does not make it real, right, or correct.

Edit to add, just because it is in this year's dictionary does not mean it is correct.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hey guy, have you seen the way sgar15 looks at my ass?  I don't know, guy but I think he wants some boy pussy.

You say that sgtar15 like that stick pussy?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#9]
back when bubba was president
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This "guy" must be from the south

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
"Guy" is not a generic term. Just as a lot of the words major news broadcasters use are not really words.

Just because you heard it somewhere does not make it real, right, or correct.

Edit to add, just because it is in this year's dictionary does not mean it is correct.

If a large proportion of the population uses it then it IS a word.

Languages change constantly. There is no such thing a a "correct" word.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#12]
So if I walk up to a mixed group and say "hey guys", I'm violating some kind of verbal aesthetic?

Please. At least come up with something less stupid than "gals", which is only used by people over 70.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So if I walk up to a mixed group and say "hey guys", I'm violating some kind of verbal aesthetic?

Please. At least come up with something less stupid than "gals", which is only used by people over 70.

"hey guys AND BITCHES"

yeah, that sounds good.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I think you girls be over reacting...
...!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I've never seen it used to refer to a bunch of girls, but here's a thought:

Could it be a remnant of when we all spoke latin?

In spanish, singular pronoun to describe a male is el

Singular pronoun to describe a female is ella

Group of males is ellos, and group of females is ellas.

However, you could have a group of 10,000 women, but if there is even one baby boy, grammar dictates you use ellos as if it were a whole group of men.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"hey guys AND BITCHES"

yeah, that sounds good.

If it's my wife's friends, that wouldn't be far off.. bunch of yammering hens.

I'll have to try that some time
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Think thats wierd?

The wife of one of my coworkers calls her female friends "dude" when conversing with them.

Just don't sound right.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Fuck those lesbian feminazis...get back in the motherfucking kitchen and sharpen my goddamn edger blades.....beotch!! Bitches belong in the house..serving.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#19]
"Guy" refers to a male.   As in "Guys and Dolls".
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally poseted by Philadelphia_GunMan;

No, it just means they received an inadequate education. The fact that 54%(a figure plucked from the air) of a given group thinks something is correct does not make it so.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Originally poseted by Philadelphia_GunMan;

No, it just means they received an inadequate education. The fact that 54%(a figure plucked from the air) of a given group thinks something is correct does not make it so.

Actually, it does.    

The proof of this is that we are not now having this discussion in Old English.

English is a living language.  This means that it slowly changes over time. You can either get used to this fact or hold all your conversations in a dead language such as Latin.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:00:04 PM EDT
[#22]
... some of you fellers need to make it into the city once in awhile
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:19:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Actually, it does.    

The proof of this is that we are not now having this discussion in Old English.

English is a living language.  This means that it slowly changes over time. You can either get used to this fact or hold all your conversations in a dead language such as Latin.

Oh, crap. Does this mean I have to start putting up with everyone ending their sentences with prepositions?

"Where'd you park the car at?"
"What time to you start work at?"

Or, how about the people who mistakenly say "good" instead of "well" as an adverb?

"I shot pretty good at the range today."
"Things have been going pretty good this week."
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#24]
If enough people start doing that, over a long enough period of time... you probably won't, but your descendants will.

Sorry.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:58:36 AM EDT
[#25]
We should all get an English dictionary from 1776 and never use any words that aren't listed in it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:37:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I never call an individual female a "guy," but I will address a mixed male/female group as "guys." "Dude" I use only as an exclamation, not to refer to a person.

What about "girl" vs. "woman?" When I was younger I thought any female over the age of 18 or so would be a "woman." But these days I feel more like you need to be married and have kids before I'll call you a "woman." Partly because "woman" has the connotation of older age, but also partly because it implies a degree of refinement and maturity uncommon in my generation.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#27]
As a generic term for a person, "Guy" is certainly better than "Dude".  I use "Dude" derogatorily.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Think thats wierd?

The wife of one of my coworkers calls her female friends "dude" when conversing with them.

Just don't sound right.

I've heard chicks calling each other dude as well. It's kinda like white guys calling each other brother.

AB
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
We should all get an English dictionary from 1776 and never use any words that aren't listed in it.

Anyone who disobeys goes to gaol.

Oh, and it's a Northern habit to say "You Guys" to mixed groups, not Southern.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top