Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2004 6:06:46 PM EDT
I'm trying to get into shape for a PT test in the Army Reserves. I haven't run in about ten years. I have been running every other day but my endurance doesn't seem to be changing much. Any ideas for a 38 year old man?

I heard Createin(SP?) helps as a supplement.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#1]
take a ReD Bull beofre running.j/k

Just start out slowly.Everyone wants to run 25 miles the first night.Start slowly and gradually increase.

Get good running shoes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Any ideas for a 38 year old man?

Find a 17 year old girl to chase.  You'll be in shape in no time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
good shoes

appropriate socks (wicking)

STRETCH Religiously!!!

start slow and work your way up.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#4]
It starts to feel a lot better after a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Being a P.E. major here is my advice...

Find a good fanny-pack holster to carry your gun in! ( they don't teach us that in class? wonder why?)

Stretch every muscle you will run for about 12-25 seconds.

Drink plenty of fluids, avoid sugars if you want ot loose weight also/quicker.

use proper running form...

ANd Dr. Shoall's athletics shoe insoles (these help protect your joints)
BUy the best running shoes you cna afford also!

God BLess,
CHuck

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
good shoes

STRETCH Religiously!!!

Great advise.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#7]
When you puke, you've reached the 1/4 point. Gut it out. When  you see bloody froth coming out of your nose and mouth, you're 1/2 way there. You can turn around and sprint back to the starting point.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
good shoes

STRETCH Religiously!!!

Great advise.

+
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm trying to get into shape for a PT test in the Army Reserves. I haven't run in about ten years. I have been running every other day but my endurance doesn't seem to be changing much. Any ideas for a 38 year old man?

I heard Createin(SP?) helps as a supplement.

Do not take creatine as a supplement for running!!!

Ok, sorry about that,  Had to get that out quickly.  

Creatine is an EXCELLENT supplement for gains in muscular size and strength.... and endurance... but only in a LIFTING sense, not running.

I speak from EXPERIENCE.  Creatine has added pounds of muscle on my frame, but when I treid to run it gave me the WORST leg cramps I have ever had.  WOW.  PAIN.  I could not drink enough water or eat enough bannanas (potassium) to stop the cramps from happening.

Now, on a side note.... the SEXUAL side effects of Creatine are GREAT.

here is a snippet:

Brand-new research with creatine supplements and endurance runners has been carried out, and the news is not good for creatine advocates. In the current investigation, which was completed at the famed Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden, nine well-trained runners ingested five grams of creatine monohydrate four times per day (20 grams per day) for six days, while nine other experienced runners consumed a glucose placebo. After the six-day period, the runners completed a six-kilometre race over undulating terrain and (on a second day) a high-speed treadmill run to exhaustion at a velocity slightly faster than their best one-mile race speed.

Strangely enough, although neither creatine- nor placebo-group members were able to improve their performances during the treadmill efforts, runners actually fared slightly worse during the 6K forest trial after creatine supplementation (they required about 25 more seconds to complete the course). Following creatine ingestion, they also produced considerably more blood lactate during the sizzling treadmill effort

Just do a web search for "creatine and running"

Good luck and I hope you make it.

Stainless
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#10]
get the po po to chase ya
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:46:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I would start out by walking at first, THEN work your way up to running.

AB
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Yea, DON'T stop in the middle of the road to tie your undone shoelace like I did!!!!!

It was at night, dark, and I wasn't wearing bright clothes................there was a guy riding his bicycle behind me...............and he crashed into me............actually his front tire went into my asscrack.  We both lied there on the road moaning in pain for about 10 minutes.  lol, it's funny now though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Stetch BEFORE and AFTER.

Ice sore joints, even if they're only barely sore. When I say ice, I mean a bag big enough to cover the area for 20 minutes. You won't feel it after the first five...

Good shoes. If you start to get joint pain, run on a softer surface. Grass is best. Gravel is worse. Pavement is the worst.

Make a schedule for running (dates, distances) AND follow it. Only time yourself every week (if you run 5x a week) or every other week (if you continue every other day).

Slowly increase distance. Don't do it too fast.

This is what advice I can give, as a cross country runner in high school.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Focus on controlling your breathing, getting deep breaths of air in and out, slowly and surely.  It helps you get air and takes your mind off your legs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#15]
good shoes
extra socks

STRETCH before you start
watcho out for cars
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I smoke a pack of Marlboros, then do my workout.  I bypass all that sweat and distance.  Runners' High only takes me about 15 steps.  Why is my left arm all tingley?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top