Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2004 5:44:48 PM EDT
Been considering shaving my head. As is, it varies between 1/2" and 1-1/2", depending on when I got a haircut (it grows fast, in about a month it's to the 1-1/2" length). We've got the clippers, and I've been wanting to try it, and if I don't like it, it's back to normal in about 2 weeks.

Just not sure.

Pros:
Might look better
Soap is cheaper than shampoo
With a shaved head, you can look badass even in a hawaiian shirt and birkenstocks.

Cons:
Unfavorable comparisons to Michael Stipe and skinheads
Sunburn on top of the head
Somewhat unprofessional looking, and I'm trying (desperately) to get a job
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as you don't have a funny shaper or lumpy head. Chics dig a bald head.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Bad idea for someone frsh outta college (so I assume) trying to get a job.

Shoulda done it a year ago, got it out of your system.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#3]
fk professional looking......i work ina corporate office and they all think im in a militia...so what?
I dont go down to skin, but i get a buzz at 0 up to the ears..and then a 3 for the top.

No maintenance at all...nothing to comb or brush.....roll out of bed, wet it and go.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Junior year high-school, actually.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Junior year high-school, actually.

Well keep your pants pulled up junior and join jrotc
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Buzz yes...shave no...
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Well keep your pants pulled up junior and join jrotc

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have hair that grows on your head, I would wait until you don't.

I started shaving mine when my wife started looking puzzled when I asked her to trim it?

MT
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't shave it if your trying to get a job.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't shave my head, but I do try to keep a #1 buzzcut...zero maintenance, and still looks badass...
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't be ghey.  Get a high and tight.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Shave it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Shave it.

I keep my head at either stubble or clean-shaved.  Gotta keep that pesky afro away.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I was SOOO dissapointed when I saw the topic and that it wasn't in the womens forum!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I haven't earned the right to wear one of those yet.

ETA: It's marginally humorous that half as many people think I'm gay as think I should shave my head.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you really have nothing else to do than post here about how short you should cut your hair?  You're young, go have lots of premarital sex and enjoy your youth while you can.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1

Ah, you get haircut...numbah one all the way...

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: It's marginally humorous that half as many people think I'm gay as think I should shave my head.

They don't really think you're ghey - just offending you with humor.

And thank you for having regard for the military.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#20]
A close buzz cut will get you the best of both worlds.  Minimal maintance and the ablity to operate in so-called "normal society" with hardly a second glance.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I take a Mach 3 to my head every other day. I have been doing so for the last 4 months. I love it and would never go back to having hair. My hair wasn't bad, but it was starting to thin and It would look terrible if I didnt get it trimmed at least every 3 weeks. The thinner your hair, the shorter it should be. Don't be one of those losers that is still trying to hold on to their hair.

As far as the professional thing goes, a bald head is very acceptable these days. I work retail sales, in a professional environment, and I wear a suit to work everyday with my bald head. People are not freaked out by it or think I'm a skinhead or anything like that. A shaved head is the mark of a confident man who does not need to hide anything.

As far as the sun thing goes, you do have to be careful. I wear a cap or at least a bandanna if I'm going to be exposed to a lot of direct sun. I was trying to get some color on my head and left that tender skin exposed for a little too long and my head peeled preatty bad.

One thing I would suggest is to work out though if you are not in good shape. If your pudgy, the shaved head will just make you look fatter. I am in preatty good shape and the shaved head helps portray an athletic image as many pro athletes have gone to the shaved look. Go for it!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#23]
MagKnight, sweetie, girls like hair.  Employers like hair.  Nine times out of ten, 17 year old guys who shave their heads look like cancer patients.  Unless you are looking for a sympathy fuck (can I say that to a 17 yr old???) KEEP YOUR HAIR.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#24]

girls like hair

I had one girl that would lick my shaved head.ooooooooooooooooooooo
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
MagKnight, sweetie, girls like hair.  Employers like hair.  Nine times out of ten, 17 year old guys who shave their heads look like cancer patients.  Unless you are looking for a sympathy fuck (can I say that to a 17 yr old???) KEEP YOUR HAIR.

Fuck that noise

+1 !
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Dude, it's a haircut, not Marpat. The Marines don't have a patent on their haircut, it's just traditional.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
MagKnight, sweetie, girls like hair.  

Far more women I've talked to think I would look hotter with a shaved head than I would with my current haircut... and the general consensus on long hair is that it sucks on me.

Employers like hair. Nine times out of ten, 17 year old guys who shave their heads look like cancer patients.  Unless you are looking for a sympathy fuck (can I say that to a 17 yr old???)

You can say whatever you please to anybody, and a sympathy fuck would be quite nice, although even I would consider it immoral to say anything like "oh, I have cancer, woe is me, let's go do the nasty."

KEEP YOUR HAIR.

I'll just put you down for the "no" option, then, shall I?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top