Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2004 5:03:02 PM EDT
Yesterday evening, I took a 30-minute nap. When I woke up, I had been laying on my left arm in an awkward position. Part of my arm.....specifically, the two fingers fartherest from my thumb, and the muscles associated with them, from my fingertips, through my hand and forearm to a point just above my elbow, were sort of numb, and tingly....as is normal when you've cut the circulation off to a body part for a while.

After I got up, i went and did my normal friday evening workout, with my hand/arm still partially 'asleep', and went to bed. This morning, it's still asleep. This evening, same thing.....and it's starting to worry me. This evening I was doing some work on the tractor, and while swapping implements, my left arm was less than its normal useful self.....not quite as strong as normal, and with half my hand being numb, it was kinda hard to use my hand.

Right now, I'm only using 1 finger on my left hand to type....I can't find the keys with the two fingers that have been numb for 26 hours now.....

Ok, here's the question:

What the heck is wrong with my hand?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Same thing happened to me .......... I thought it was something like carpel tunnel syndrome.

Been like that for over a couple months now ???
TAGGED.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll bet it's a piched nerve in your neck.

YES that can affect the hand/fingers.

Find a Chiropractor.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Hows your neck feel?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 one on the neck.

MT
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Neck feels fine......

It just occured to me that this is EXACTLY what it feels like when you hit your 'funny bone'.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Same thing happened to me once, pinched a nerve sleeping. Took a week before it was normal again.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Neck feels fine......

It just occured to me that this is EXACTLY what it feels like when you hit your 'funny bone'.

That sensation is elicited from the ulnar nerve.
You been leaning on your elbow alot while posting and such??
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#10]
AR,
It is called "Saturday Night palsy".  It's a mild compression of one of the nerves leading to the hand and
fingers.   It is temporary and will go away in a few days.  It got it's name from people who go out and binge on Sat night, then pass out and wind up laying on one of their arms for an extended period.  It is very common.  Don't worry, you'll be ok.  I am in graduate school getting my masters in Occupational
Therapy. This is one of the syptoms of nerve compression - numbness and tingling.

Take care,

bdog60
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Neck feels fine......

Actually, no. I had kinda thought of that, but I rarely lean on my elbows.

Think this'll work out in a day or two? Any excercises to speed up the process?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Possible thoracic outlet syndrome.  Try stretchingyour arms back like you are walking into a corner, infact try putting your arms out and SLOWLY leaning into the corner remember to keep your arms lower than 90 degrees.  whats happening is the nerves are compressed slightly and you need to create a little space.  Just a thought.  Later.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Saturday night palsy.....How did I manage to miss out on that all the years I drank (to excess) and now I get it when taking a 30-minute power-nap?

Oh well, as long as it'll go away......I was mainly concerned whether it was a sign of a mild stoke/aneurysm/heart attack.

Thanks for the info, guys.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Slap ice to the "hot" spot on your elbow.
Leave ice on for NO MORE than 15 min.
After ice, raise hand above head for as long as you can stand, 5-10 min.
Then down to you side for the same ammont of time.
Reduce the ammount of gripping that you do as much as possible with that hand.

The phone is right next to me, also!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
AR,
It is called "Saturday Night palsy".

That is entrapment of the radial nerve.  It presents with weakness of the wrist and finger extensors and numbness in the webbing between the thumb and index finger.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AR,
It is called "Saturday Night palsy".

That is entrapment of the radial nerve.  It presents with weakness of the wrist and finger extensors and numbness in the webbing between the thumb and index finger.

C-4, correct.

This is a C6 sensory dermatomal problem.
Digits 4-5.
Ulnar nerve.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Your neck doesn't have to hurt to have a nerve pinched.

MT
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1

You likely compressed the ulnar nerve.  It supplies almost all of the intrinsic muscles of the hand except for those that control the thumb.  It also supplies sensation to the little finger and half your ring finger.  There isn't much you can do other than giving it time.  It can take days to weeks or longer for it to get back to normal.  From what you describe it should get better rather quickly, a few days at the most.  A brain stroke doesn't look like what you are describing.  You can have a stroke of the nerve itself but that is very rare and occurs almost exclusively in diabetics.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Your neck doesn't have to hurt to have a nerve pinched.

MT

That is correct.

But with accute onset such as this, that is a common complaint also.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#20]
No joke , 4 hours ago I asked my mother in law the same question.  Mine has been feeling that way for 3 days now.  Then I just now read your post.  weird huh?  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#21]
You can have a stroke of the nerve itself but that is very rare and occurs almost exclusively in diabetics

Can you expound on this for me ???

As I said I have had this problem for a couple months.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You can have a stroke of the nerve itself but that is very rare and occurs almost exclusively in diabetics

Can you expound on this for me ???

As I said I have had this problem for a couple months.

In people with vascular disease risk factors, such as high cholesterol, smoking, high blood pressure, and diabetes, blood vessels develop atherosclerotic narrowing.  Sometimes the narrowed blood vessels that feed peripheral nerves can acutely clot and cause strokes of the nerve itself.  It is rare and 95%+ of these people are diabetics.  The hallmark of acute nerve infarction is severe pain in the distribution of the nerve.  If you just fall asleep on the nerve, it usually doesn't involve more than a mild to moderate amount of pain along with the tingling, numbness and weakness.  The other 5% of patients with nerve infarctions have unusual inflammatory illnesses such as lupus.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks
scratch that
No pain just woke up one day and the two fingers next to the thumb were "asleep" loss of sensation .
Have been like that for a couple months. I do have a bad habit of sleeping on my arm/hand with it

how do I describe this , folded under me , as in a come along hold position.

That is why I thought carpel tunnel syndrome ???
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Despite everyone's ostensibly best intentiopns, the Internet is a LOUSY place to get medical advice. Go call your doctor Mon. AM. Or call his answering service now (they are on 24hr call- if not him, then another one is) and go see a doctor in person. That's the only way you will be sure.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Despite everyone's ostensibly best intentiopns, the Internet is a LOUSY place to get medical advice. Go call your doctor Mon. AM. Or call his answering service now (they are on 24hr call- if not him, then another one is) and go see a doctor in person. That's the only way you will be sure.

The internet ain't so bad .......... sometimes better, always cheaper.

Now I am not a cheapo-- but a Doctors visit in my area is 269.00 for an appointment, and they run that up quick
blood tests - 400.00
x rays  -------- ? 300-600
then referrals -- ?

prescriptions  ----- lets not even go there
after awhile ------- a body has to say , screw it -- I will just live with it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#26]
It sounds like carpal tunnel syndrome to me, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top