Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2004 2:26:42 PM EDT
I have heard about the M-16 contract or the M-4 or whatever it's current name/configuration may be but, I have never heard who builds the M-60.  Isn't it still in use today?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I am pretty sure if any are made any more its by SACO armaments, which I believe is a subsidiary of  General Dynamics
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Do they still make the M-60, I thought they are turning over to the M240B?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think it's been in use for years.  I don't know who made it.  The M240 family (made by FN)started replacing it at least ten years ago.  If there are any M60s left, they're in Reserve units.  I think alot of them ended up in Colombia as military aid.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have heard about the M-16 contract or the M-4 or whatever it's current name/configuration may be but, I have never heard who builds the M-60.  Isn't it still in use today?

The M60 Machinegun was classified in 1957 as a companion to the 7.62mm M14 combat rifle. The M60 Machinegun is lighter than the .30 cal. M1919A6 and only slightly heavier than the 30 cal. M1918A2 Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) which it replaced. The M60 7.62mm machine gun has been the U.S. Army's general purpose medium machine gun since the late 1950s. It has recently been replaced by the M240 machine gun which is the American built version of the FN Mag which is used by Belgium and the United Kingdom as well.

The M60 machinegun fires standard NATO 7.62mm ammunition and is used as a crew-served general support machinegun. The machinegun has removable barrel which can be quickly and easily changed to prevent the barrel from overheating. The M60 has a folding bipod that is integral to the machinegun and can also be mounted on a folding tripod. The M60 has a rate of fire of 600 rounds per minute and can be fired semi automatic or fully automatic. The machinegun is gas operated.

The M60E3 7.62mm machine gun was designed as a lightweight replacement to the M60 machinegun but due to problems with the barrel being unsable to sustain rapid fire, it has been poorly accepted by American soldiers. The lighter weight design was was fielded with the intent to reduce the load carried by the gunner. The M60E3 has several differences between it and its parent the M60 other than the lighter weight barrel. The M60E3 has a receiver-attached bipod which easily deploys for stability. In addition to this, the M60 has an ambidextrous safety, universal sling attachments, a carrying handle on the barrel, and a simplified gas system that does not require safety wire to prevent loosening.

Both the M60 and M60E is fed by means of a desintegrating 100 round belt.

Weight: M60 24.5 lbs (11.5 kg), M60E3 18.75 lbs (8.51 kg)  
Caliber: 7.62x51mm NATO (.308).
Barrel Length: 22 inches (56 cm).
Overall Length: 42.4 inches (107.70 cm).
Action: Gas operated .
Mode of Fire: Fully Automatic .
Rate of Fire: M60 600 rounds per minute / 200 rounds per minute sustained, M60E3 600 rounds per minute / 100 rounds per minute sustained.  
Range: 3609.1 feet (1100 meters).
Feed: 100 round belt.
Cost: $ 6,000.
Made in: USA.
Special: Extremely reliable, good accuracy, large base of repair parts.

US ORDNANCE - M60E4 COMMANDO, M60E4/MK 43, M60D ENHANCED, M60E3 AND M60 7.62MM NATO BELT FED MACHINE GUNS
US Ordnance Reno, Nevada USA, is licensed by Saco Defense (General Dynamics) to be the exclusive manufacturer and sole distributor for all models of the M60 Series machine gun and spare parts.

US Ordnance manufactures the M60 Series machine guns using US Government approved tooling, fixtures and functional gauges. Every US Ordnance M60 machine gun undergoes proof firing, functional and accuracy testing before it leaves the factory. Highest quality standards ensure full interchangeability of parts between all US M60 Machine guns.

We offer a conversion kit to convert your standard M60 to the new, M60E4 versions.

Ongoing production for the US Government assures availability of spare parts. All M60s, current and future, are required to have interchangeable parts.

M60E4 COMMANDO
M60E4 / Mk43 Commando light machine gun series represents the latest improvements to the M60 Series of machine guns. The M60E4/Mk43 Commando features a redesigned machined aluminum top cover with an integrated picatinny rail and an aluminum rail interface system hand-guard, providing for mounting optics, infrared laser systems and other sensors, giving the weapon 24 hour capability. The M60E4 series retains the best features of the M60E4/Mk43 and introduces the following improvements:

Machined aluminum top cover with an integrated picatinny rail eliminates the bolt-on fire control bracket of the early M60 machine guns
Aluminum rail interface system hand-guard provides protection from barrel heat and provides for mounting infrared laser systems and other sensors. Also allows for adjustment of the forward grip.
Improved carry handle allows clear sight profile with handle in up position
M60E4/Mk43 Commando conversion kit available

M60E4 / Mk 43
The M60E4 series retains the best features of its predecessors and introduces the following improvements:

The bipod has been strengthened and remains mounted on the receiver
35% improved belt pull power. This reduces the effect of dirt or other obstructions and introduces greater flexibility in how the belt is fed
Optional picatinny rail is integrated onto the feed cover, eliminating the bolt-on fire control bracket of the early M60 machine guns
One-piece forearm and pistol-grip assembly provides protection from barrel heat
The reliability of the flat spring attaching the trigger assembly to the receiver has been improved. The M60E4 design prevents accidental detachment of the trigger assembly and possible runaway gun.
Three chromed-bore barrels are available for M60E4 series machine guns. A short length sustained fire barrel is standard for the M60E4 light machine gun; the mounted and coax M60E4s have the long length sustained fire barrel. The M60E3's short assault barrel remains available for use with any of the M60E4 machine guns. All barrels have a reversible gas piston, a redesigned gas cylinder extension to improve ease of maintenance and a new firing suppressor that reduces the flash signature significantly.

M60E4/Mk43 Commando conversion kit available

M60D ENHANCED
The M60D machine gun fires 7.62mm NATO standard ammunition, that can penetrate light armor. The ring sight and spade grips makes acquiring and tracking a target quite simple, even while in motion. The weapon is also readily removable to permit loading/unloading of a helicopter and to provide protective fire outside the aircraft after landing.

The M60D model is designed for mounting on wheeled and tracked vehicles, naval craft, and as a door gun on utility and cargo helicopters. Mounted on pintle type assemblies, the M60D provides fire support for ground operations.

M60 STANDARD
Spare parts available

US Ordnance, Inc.
PO Box 70425, Reno
Nevada 89570-0443
USA
Tel: +1 775 356 2380
Fax: +1 775 356 2388
Email: [email protected]
URL: www.usord.com

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't think it's been in use for years.  I don't know who made it.  The M240 family (made by FN)started replacing it at least ten years ago.  If there are any M60s left, they're in Reserve units.  I think alot of them ended up in Colombia as military aid.

Yes, some National Guard units still employ that weapon.   A damn fine machine gun, I might add.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I know my guard unit still uses the m60 but at basic all of our training was on the 240B.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#8]
The good ol' M60 is now the FN 240B.   There might be a buch still in use but's it's been officially replaced.  

M60 : "Just give me that good ol' Rock n Roll, the kind of music that sooths my soul, I reminiss about the days of old, just  give me that good ol' Rock n Roll............."  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#9]
The Navy is still using it. Of course, we still use the M-14, and we had the M1911 until 1996.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Having served in units with both the 60 and the 60E3, I found the E3 to be much the better machine gun.

In addition to weight, the sights on the barrel made  that gun 1,000% better on barrel changes (and the bipod being on the gun was great, too).

It was a little lighter, but the sear still sucked ass.

The feed tray cover still sucked ass as well, I think that was the biggest flaw in the design (something we could debate--what's worse? a runaway gun or one that jams a lot?).

EDIT for replacing the period in the number with a comma, typing with your little finger in a splint is tough
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
...and we had the M1911 until 1996.

lucky dogs!!

OT. Yeah that's my second favorite sidearm I've used in the Navy. Second to the M11 (SIG P228). I know, I know it's a 9mm, but it feels GREAT in the hand.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...and we had the M1911 until 1996.

lucky dogs!!

OT. Yeah that's my second favorite sidearm I've used in the Navy. Second to the M11 (SIG P228). I know, I know it's a 9mm, but it feels GREAT in the hand.

Yeah, but you can't ride high-thumb!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It was a little lighter, but the sear still sucked ass.

The feed tray cover still sucked ass as well, I think that was the biggest flaw in the design (something we could debate--what's worse? a runaway gun or one that jams a lot?).

In the 2.5 years that I was a pig gunner, I only had a runaway 1 time.  That was due to somebody else putting it back together instead of me.  It was absolutely embarassing to have that happen on a live fire range.  I had to catch the charging handle to stop the damn thing.  A quick switch while a flanking maneuver was occuring and I was back in bid-ness.

It was simple enough to remember to lock the bolt back before closing the feed tray cover.  That was never an issue.  The only people who seemed to have issues with the gun were those who weren't fully aware of its functionality.

"Always make sure the click is quick!"  Having a dirty gas tube can slow the piston down and make the gun sluggish.  The bipod was excellent on it.  The extentions could have been engineered a little better.  I've had those pull out when getting snagged while moving through thick brush.  I never had an issue with quick barrel changes - flip the switch grab the barrel (with and asbestos glove) throw the spare in - another flip and you're rockin'.

Any malfunctions could be reduced rather quickly if you kept the 8 cycles of function in the forefront of your mind.  There were several tricks you could learn after working with it for an extended period of time; after gaining  some experience.

I recall being bothered by not having enough room between the table and overhead cover whle in a defensive position.  Then a more experienced gunner showed me how to load a belt without opening the feed tray cover.  

It really is a great gun that has survived many years of time trials in combat.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#16]
The USAF still uses them. On helicopters and mounted on vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't know about the other services or even other bases but I know that the armory at Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson had a couple racks of  M60s including E3s I believe when I visited it last year.  (They also had racks of  SAWs.)  So I assume other services MPs may still have access to them.  I also know a local suppressor outfit that builds for some SEALs and they're still using M60E4s (they have some other designation I can't remember).
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#18]
M60...When you wanna kill every motherfucker in the room.

S.O.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top