Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2004 2:07:04 PM EDT
I was thinking the other day when I was stuck behind a old man in my car.
Why do old people drive so slow? You would think that they would want to
hurry up and get where they are going before there time runs out.
Just my thought.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Because they are stoned on prescription drugs
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#2]
They probably fear getting a ticket and having their driving skills scrutinized.  Many people advocate removing driving priviledges from persons over a certain age.  Others promote making seniors take frequent skills tests to prove their ability to function safely.

I disagree with that.  That automobile means freedom to them.  If you take that away, they'll need to depend on others to do everything for them.  I'm sure a lot don't even have "others" to take up that task.

I know it can be frustrating at times but think if their independence when that occurs and safely move around them.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Be patient with them, because you will be in that boat also. Personally for me, I'm a concerned of them running into, and not driving too slow. As you get older your reaction times starts to slow down, and you've got to compensate for that by driving a bit slower.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Well...Don't move to Florida
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Be happy that they do...if they drove FAST, all Hell would break loose!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Their vision and reaction times are not what they used to be. Be glad they are driving slow and not running down your kids in the street, T-boning your wife on the way to the supermarket or smashing your fender in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#7]
My dad drove slow till he had his eyes fixed (cataracs).

Now get out of his way.

Most old people drive as fast as they can see or react.

Be patient, you will be there some day.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Down here in NC the "old" drivers come out on Saturday morning while I'm on my way to a gun match.  I've looked real close at what they're doing while driving so slow.................counting cows in the pastures as they go down the road.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#9]
ALL older drivers need to be tested REGULARLY/YEARLY after a certain age.
I'm not sure at what age though.
Also, anyone who's doctor feels shouldn't drive due to eyesight, injury etc should not be driving.
I went through this two years ago with my father. He doesn't think he has any problems but is legally blind and has serious problems with his motor skills.
He's 83 years old, retired Colonel and knows it all.  He cannot read street signs, see stop lights, read or see his guages/speedometer.  After cornea transplant surgery his doctor told him he would not be driving again. This wasn't good enough.
After a 11 months of no driving, he was hard up and wanting to drive so I got him to agree to go and take a driving class knowing they would fail him and take his license away.
They did.....after only ten minutes on the road.
He was and still is PISSED !!
For an otherwise rational man, he literally had NO CONCERN for others safety, saying anyone can get in an accident at any time.
The state is VERY lax on their rules for the elderly since they are a huge lobby here.
Something has to be done though, not a day goes by that I don't see older people having serious driving issues.
Same goes for younger drivers as well, but that wasn't the topic.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I know I will be there someday and it will break my heat almost as much when eye sight gets to bad to shoot.
I have two girls who will be driving next year and really scares me. Mandatory testing is a good thing or at
least a valid eye test at license renewal. Maybe that should be at any age.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#11]
you should have seen my grandfather drive...then again he used to be a pilot.  FAST!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm old and don't drive slow at all. "get outta the way ya punk sumbitch".

AB
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They probably fear getting a ticket and having their driving skills scrutinized.  Many people advocate removing driving priviledges from persons over a certain age.  Others promote making seniors take frequent skills tests to prove their ability to function safely.

I disagree with that.  That automobile means freedom to them.  If you take that away, they'll need to depend on others to do everything for them.  I'm sure a lot don't even have "others" to take up that task.

I know it can be frustrating at times but think if their independence when that occurs and safely move around them.  

Tell that to the man and his child that were run over by the goddamn 80+ year old carpet-bagging geezers down here a couple of years ago.  The old cunt actually had the nerve, on the news, to blame the pedestrian.

I don't give a shit if it means you can't get around, they are a menace even more so than an inconvenience.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#14]
We use to use code and call them "blue hairs"

Respect your elders -- you young whippersnappers.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Leave them alone. If you were driving to your own funeral would you drive fast?
Gerry
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Old people will never be required to be tested on a more frequent basis than anyone else because they vote more than young people.  It would be carreer suicide for a politician to propose it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Spectre has seen the same as I have here.

Whoa, Nelly!

I see old people here during the winter months and there is NO GODDAMN WAY they belong behind a wheel.

And I don't go fo that "Someday you'll be in the same boat" load of crap, either. When I'm too old to drive and I'm a menace to myself and everyone around me, I hope someone has the GOOD, COMMON SENSE to take my keys away from me.

I was up north the last few days camping with some friends of mine that got drawn to elk hunt. (archery)

I came back today and of a 110 mile drive the ONLY problem I had with an arrogant/inconsiderate driver was just ouside of Phoenix, some old-as-dirt woman from Iowa, likely getting ready to roost here for the winter, who had decided that going 65-70 in a 75MPH area is fast enough and is not gonna get out of ANYBODY'S way, by God. She was cruising merrily along in the passing lane.

It's tourist season here, why can't I shoot them?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

There's a book by that title.  It takes place in Florida, but you'd probably find alot of parallels.
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0446343455/qid=1095556789/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-9660131-4503256?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Some old peeps drive poorly, for sure. I sure am glad I dont live in Asia and have to deal with old peeps there.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I am disabled due to an older driver.  eerybody over 70 shouod be tested annually for vision and reaction times.  Some of these old fools need a wake up call bigtime.  Ops
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah he or she was probably driving at about that speed posted on that sign hanging right there near the roadway!!     And you know thats just way too slow!!!

I'm running down I-35 at 65 and cars are passing me like I have the brake on!!!

You want to run 70 or 80 have at it ,I'm sure not going to get in your way!!!

Just don't get on my ass cause if I am in your way you can pass me ,or leave a little earlier!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Spectre has seen the same as I have here.

Whoa, Nelly!

I see old people here during the winter months and there is NO GODDAMN WAY they belong behind a wheel.

And I don't go fo that "Someday you'll be in the same boat" load of crap, either. When I'm too old to drive and I'm a menace to myself and everyone around me, I hope someone has the GOOD, COMMON SENSE to take my keys away from me.

I was up north the last few days camping with some friends of mine that got drawn to elk hunt. (archery)

I came back today and of a 110 mile drive the ONLY problem I had with an arrogant/inconsiderate driver was just ouside of Phoenix, some old-as-dirt woman from Iowa, likely getting ready to roost here for the winter, who had decided that going 65-70 in a 75MPH area is fast enough and is not gonna get out of ANYBODY'S way, by God. She was cruising merrily along in the passing lane.

Up untill lately, my standard line has been .....Welcome to Arizona !!, now GO HOME !!
Now I think I will just go with.......Hey snowbirds, go the fuck away !!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#24]
How do you guys explain the fact that the old folks -------------

pay less for insurance..................... Ha ha ho ho.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yeah he or she was probably driving at about that speed posted on that sign hanging right there near the roadway!!     And you know thats just way too slow!!!

Just don't get on my ass cause if I am in your way you can pass me ,or leave a little earlier!!!

Bob

Then you keep your slow-ass in the slow-ass lane and quit cruising along in the left hand lane doing 9.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Well...Don't move to Florida

+1
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I want to know why all the old drivers stay at home during the week, then come out in swarms on the weekend?

Gaaaah! That's the only time I have to get out and do errands and stuff, and they're clogging up the roads, the supermarket, even Home Depot every Saturday and Sunday.

Please! You are retired -- you have all week while everyone is at work to take care of your business. Stay home on weekends so the working stiffs can get things accomplished.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I love older drivers!!!

There were 2 older ladies who bought a car together.

1 old lady lost her license for driving the wrong way on the freeway.

The other lost it as she could not pass the driving test.

The car sat in their backyard for 2 years geting ugly and faded.

I bought it for $2,000.  A 1996 Geo Prism W/24,000 miles on it.

It had so many dents & dings, I think they drove by braille.

If you live in CA the worst are the old drivers from AZ. They make right hand turns from the left lane!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
How do you guys explain the fact that the old folks -------------

pay less for insurance..................... Ha ha ho ho.

'Cuz they have paid more of it in the course of their life and AARP gets them a group discount.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

Then you keep your slow-ass in the slow-ass lane and quit cruising along in the left hand lane doing 9.

No sir that right hand slow ass lane is for all the young(that don't know how to enter a freeway corectly)  I drive right in the middle lane at the Max speed!

You got two other lanes to end your Fast and Furious lives in!!

The proof of the pudding is in the eating,and I would almost Guarantee I will be around a lot longer than your Assumming Whipersnapper attitude leads me to think you will be!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

No sir that right hand slow ass lane is for all the young(that don't know how to enter a freeway corectly)  I drive right in the middle lane at the Max speed!

You got two other lanes to end your Fast and Furious lives in!!

The proof of the pudding is in the eating,and I would almost Guarantee I will be around a lot longer than your Assumming Whipersnapper attitude leads me to think you will be!!

Bob

I have no desire whatsoever to live to be that old.  I live around all these old geezers and I can't honestly figure out why most of them bother holding on.  I guess it's just a total fear of the unknown.  Living simply because they don't want to die.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I have no desire whatsoever to live to be that old.  

[who] ....hope I die before I get old. [/who]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Just don't let the oldies drive one of these;

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#34]
So Norman74 you are one of these Hud people that just can't wait for us Baby Boomers to get out of your way are you?

We are the sons of our fathers the WW1 old farts that you feel have no use here also,we are the 1960's Vets!   Get used to it whippersnapper we will drive these roads and have paid our taxes and have paid for you to have the freedom of life and to share this world with us!

If you don't like us old farts then by all means stay away from us as you are as welcome as a wet fart!!

If you ever meet one of us grey panthers try to be nice to us,as some of us have never forgotten how to put a man down hard!!!

Not a threat just a fact!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
So Norman74 you are one of these Hud people that just can't wait for us Baby Boomers to get out of your way are you?

We are the sons of our fathers the WW1 old farts that you feel have no use here also,we are the Viet Nam Vets!   Get used to it whippersnapper we will drive these roads and have paid our taxes and have paid for you to have the freedom of life and to share this world with us!

If you don't like us old farts then by all means stay away from us as you are as welcome as a wet fart!!

If you ever meet one of us grey panthers try to be nice to us,as some of us have never forgotten how to put a man down hard!!!

Not a threat just a fact!!!

Bob

OK old man, carryon with your ramblings.

Ya know what's funny, it's your generation that's widened the generation gap more than any other.  I never once heard any one of my grandparents (all would be around 80 if more than one was still alive) make any kind of comments about them being better or different than any other.  Yet all we ever hear from you goddamn baby-boomers is about how fucked up the next generation is.  Guess what?  It's your damn fault!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Just dont let them near any farmers markets.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Thats because they are afraid of you GenX,we are not!

You have what you have because we gave it to you!

Grow up Little Norm!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#38]
I won't say anything about old drivers because I will be one before I know it, but I am for everyone one taking a mandatory THOROUGH test every 5 years minimal to keep their driving privaleges
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Just don't let the oldies drive one of these;

that truck gives me a hard-on
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Old people will never be required to be tested on a more frequent basis than anyone else because they vote more than young people.  It would be carreer suicide for a politician to propose it.

But if they can't drive to the polls... How could they not get re-elected
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:29:54 AM EDT
[#41]

Sounds like you have thaken to much Gerotal or your Depends are on to tight.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:35:24 AM EDT
[#42]
They should have to take a test every year after 75. They are unsafe to other drivers.
I think they just don't give a shit if they hit someone else.

Ban them
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:44:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:12:59 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I was thinking the other day when I was stuck behind a old man in my car.
Why do old people drive so slow? You would think that they would want to
hurry up and get where they are going before there time runs out.
Just my thought.

You'll be old someday. Get back to us.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Just dont let them near any farmers markets.

+1

That didn't go over everyones head.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Thump-Thump-Thump-Thump-Thump-Thump-Thump-Thump-Thump-Thump-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top