Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2004 11:10:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#1]

America lost in Vietnam not because Vietnam was an inherent quagmire, but because Lyndon Johnson turned it into one. Similarly, Iraq is not yet a quagmire and need not become one, its complexities as a multiethnic society notwithstanding. But in his effort to achieve multiple and in some ways conflicting objectives - building democracy, destroying the insurgency, involving the UN and so on - GWB risks turning it into one. If the president doesn't pause for a rethink, he'll lose more than just Iraq, just like the last Texan-born president did.

Wow. Insightful 'n' shit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Wait until November 3, my friend. Hell hath no fury like a Commander in Chief that doesn't have to worry about another term.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunatley I think any hard-hitting by the U.S. will wait until after the election.  A frontal assault would be effective in the "no-go" zones and we'd win but it would cost some military lives.  The Kerry campaign and the liberal media would absolutely love to hear about a high U.S. body count.  I'm not saying that they promote the killing of U.S. servicemen but the fact of such an occurance would be touted as GW mishandling the war.

I agree that we need to act now; today in order to lessen the chances of more cities falling into the hands of the insurgents.  Simply giving the responsibility to an Iraqi unit has obviously proven uneffective.

And if we send fast movers, AC-130's, attack helos, and artillery rounds in, GW would be blamed for all the civillian deaths.

Politics and war mix as well as oil and water.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#6]
The CIA gave some reports to the White house  --------
and in them they said we are screwed in Iraq --
after all we do they will resort to shit again ---------- so why are we still there

Over 1000 dead and still counting -- time to bail ............ ? Or is it ???
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Wait until November 3, my friend. Hell hath no fury like a Commander in Chief that doesn't have to worry about another term.

well thats nice of him, hey grunts just hang out for a couple more months then well let you fight.

We should have moab'ed that mosque.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The CIA gave some reports to the White house  --------
and in them they said we are screwed in Iraq --
after all we do they will resort to shit again ---------- so why are we still there

Over 1000 dead and still counting -- time to bail ............ ? Or is it ???

These 'reports' that the CIA gave the White House were not Top Secret?

I doubt that we can even begin to imagine what reports the CIA is giving the White House about Iraq.

Eric The(Right?)Hun

Time will tell my friend ----------- time will tell

The only problem, is to buy time  soldiers will die.

I hope we make the right decisions. Thats all I hope for.............. glad I do not have to make them.

Bush's  dad ------- made some decisions and they were the wrong ones, I still respect the man ------- but he goofed on that  one.

The excuse he used was "the UN mandate said --------------- " we all know we can tell the UN to pound salt if we want to -- don't we.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#10]
At first I thought the US had learned it's lesson in fighting a limited conflict .
Unless your committed to Genocide , fighting against religious insurgents is an impossible dream . Even if you can control your media and have no moral dilemma with wholesale killing does not guarantee you can win : See Russia vs. Afghan Rebels...................

I fully support our efforts there and our Troops , but I'm fearful that it's turning into a Police Action due to pressure from opponents within our own country .

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
We have an enemy in the midst of US Troops, who are told that no matter how hard they are hit, there are 'sacntuaries' to which the enemy can retreat and into which US Troops cannot follow!

What's even more hair raising is that the general population is doing little to help... maybe even doing us harm.
Two stories that caught my eye:

Marines grow wary of even friendly faces

"as a convoy of Marines pulled up to the school one day in late May to check on the contractors' progress, he said, a roadside bomb exploded in front of the building, wounding two Marines.

"It was extremely difficult for me to believe that none of the people that I was employing to do things to improve their lives and the lives of their children knew anything about it," Weiler said.

Likewise, Sgt. Curtis Neill cites a rocket-propelled grenade attack on his platoon as it passed some shops one hot August day. When the Marines responded, the attacker fled, but they found that he had established a comfortable and obvious position to lie in wait.

There, in an alleyway beside the shops was a seat and ammunition for the grenade launcher--along with a pitcher of water and a half-eaten bowl of grapes, said Neill, who was so amazed that he took photos of the setup. "

www.herald.ns.ca/stories/2004/09/14/f273.raw.html

""The Americans don't know it but they are sitting on top of an ant hill. . . . They (mistakenly) thought they sealed off the town after the air strikes. . . . They don't know what they're in for."

The journalist said the rebels holding the town "knew exactly" when the next air strike would come and moved out of the area in advance.

"All these guys with (rocket-propelled grenades) and AK-47s ... all these mujahedeen types, they got out of there and as they passed, the kids handed them water and grapes and cheered them on.

"Everywhere we went, there were places they would go to get food and change weapons. . . . I could not believe how big the network was."

He said it was obvious American-paid Iraqi police were working closely with the rebels holding Tal Afar. "
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#12]
The ONLY reason why Iraq is like Vietnam is that in BOTH cases, our efforts overseas are being undermined by the DEMOCRAPS at home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top