Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2004 9:16:54 AM EDT
I'm a super for a large home builder.  During my 11 hour days I'm on my feet for about 9 of them.  By the end of the day my feet are killing me, they feel like they have been walking barefoot on cobblestone for hours.  I'm a heavy guy, around 300lbs. and I have flat feet.  During the course of the day I do a lot of walking and climbing on pavement, dirt, rocks, wood, mud etc.  I hear red wings and danner boots are good but I have no idea which brand or model to get.  I don’t care how much they cost as long as they get the job done.  Any recommendations would help and anyone in SE PA who could tell me where to find a place that stocks decent boots would also be helpful.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#1]
     I have had good luck with Red Wings.  Don't know the model but they make a pair with relatively flat bottom soles that don't accumulate a lot of mud or snow or debris. That is the type I always thought were best for construction workers.  I worked 36 yrs in construction and felt that Red Wings were the best.  I don't know if it is still there but there used to be a Red Wing store outside of Lancaster on Rt 30.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the Red Wing boots.  You'll be very happy with them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
     I have had good luck with Red Wings.  Don't know the model but they make a pair with relatively flat bottom soles that don't accumulate a lot of mud or snow or debris. That is the type I always thought were best for construction workers.  I worked 36 yrs in construction and felt that Red Wings were the best.  I don't know if it is still there but there used to be a Red Wing store outside of Lancaster on Rt 30.

+1

I've used Red Wings for oveer 20 years.  Wouldn't have any other brand, and like you, I too am a big guy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Red Wings with the Comfort Force insole and footbed. The particular model depends on you. Do you prefer high-top or low-top, pull-on or lace-up, heel or no heel, etc. They have dozens of styles to choose from, and in my personal experience, the guys in the retail stores are expert at helping me find a style that will work for me. I have about 6 pair right now of all different style that I rotate around depending on what I'm doing.

They're not the cheapest, and they're not the highest priced boots either. However, they are still (mostly) made in the USA, and they generally have a no-questions-asked return policy. Look here for more.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Danners or Red Wings.  Can't go wrong with either.

Or...in the tradition of ARFCOM:  GET BOTH!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#6]
DANNERS
DANNERS
DANNERS
DANNERS
DANNERS
DANNERS
DANNERS
DANNERS
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I wear a pair of Hi-Techs' that feel like tennis shoes.

FWIW
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I had red wings for years but I also tried wolverines. And I have found that the wolverines were more comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Danners!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#11]
See an orthopedist and get a professionals opinion on what if any corrective liners you should be using.

All the major boot brands are decent, but the problem lays with your feet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll second the Wolverines. Even after nine or ten hours on concrete floors my feet don't hurt at all. Most comfortable work boot I've ever tried.  Red Wings are a close second.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 on the Red Wings.  We get a $200 voucher from work, so I guess Im fortunate.  They are the most comfortable and rugged boots I've ever worn!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#14]
There's a Red Wing store on Aramingo ave. in Philly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Im a welder so if its not  leather it gets burned up fast

redwing's are  nice ive had good ones and bad ones. they wear like iron , But they take forever to break in,
I had a really bad experience with one particular redwing boot that has the met  guard on the top. Wearing those things for 8 or more hours felt like i had a pair of cinder blocks tied to my feet.

On the other hand carolina's  break in quick but dont last long. I wore a carolina boot with a similar met gaurd as the redwing's i wore previously but they were toast after about a year.

Imo the best pair of work boots i have tried were a pair of carolina 4x4's like these.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'll second the Wolverines. Even after nine or ten hours on concrete floors my feet don't hurt at all. Most comfortable work boot I've ever tried.  Red Wings are a close second.

Red Wings are made in USA and they are definately better than Wolverines!!!  Red Wings stores will re-sole your boots for $50, so you only need to buy new boots every 2-3 years.  They will also water-proof them for you for free any time you stop by their store.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Danners...You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Well thanks for all the input fellas.  I had two stops on my trip today one was the Red Wing Store in Allentown and the other was the Army Navy Store in Allentown for Danners.  I never made it to the Army Navy store.  The people at the Red Wing store were extremely helpful.  They helped me choose the right boot for the job and will guarantee it.  They will give me 100% back if I'm not happy.  They will fix anything on the boot free of charge if it breaks, except a resole.  If I bring my boots in and drop them off they will have them waxed and/or silicone with in 24 hours for free, for life.  My boots were $165, model 606, and they knocked off $25 for the sale next week, they also switched out my insoles for the upgraded $22 insoles free of charge.  Well their sales pitch and customer service has impressed me so far, we'll find out what the boots do tomorrow.  Thanks again for the input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top