Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2004 7:21:07 AM EDT

"Mr. President, I have a question for you.  When I filled out my loyalty form at the door here"

"I couldnt find a box to check that said "Promises not to vote for liberal flip flopping surrender monkeys"

"Mr. President, if there HAD been such a box, I'd have been HONORED to check it!"

"YEAA! | Wow! Another great question!"
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#1]
nice!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#2]

I have no idea what that means.

That isn't even a question he's asking.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't get it.  What's that thing he's talking to anyway?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I am not so sure it is 'pro' bush. First of all- it is doonsbury. The leftist cartoon. next if you look at the last frame, they are portraying bush as a cruisader, under the guise of the united states flag. Anyhow, that is what it looks like to me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Somehow, I think that was meant as sarcasm toward Bush, meaning if you ask hard questions, he doesn't answer your questions. And I do understand they said "flip-flopping", but Doonesbury has a pretty piss-poor track record of hating everything we stand for politically.  I wouldn't get too excited.

eta: yeah, I forgot to mention the "crusafer" in the Roman outfit under a flag"
And why is he invisible?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:26:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't get it.  What's that thing he's talking to anyway?

Well, you cant see it in the image but the reporter is wearing a BUSH button.

The thing he is talking to?  Well I assume it is a symbolic cartoon reference to a patriotic and steadfast president?  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#8]
That was pro-Bush?

The characters seem pretty sarcastic to me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:28:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Somehow, I think that was meant as sarcasm toward Bush, meaning if you hard questions, he doesn't answer your questions. And I do understand they said "flip-flopping", but Doonesbury has a pretty piss-poor track record of hating everything we stand for politically.  I wouldn't get too excited.

eta: yeah, I forgot to mention the "crusafer" in the Roman outfit under a flag"
And why is he invisible?

Well. yeah the thought had entered my mind.  But I guess you can take it one of two ways.  What it should mean.. and what it might mean.... ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Um, it's not at all pro-Bush. It's satirical.

He's mocking the concept of patriotism, and those in the press who might support the president.

And it's an asterisk * standing in for Bush in regards to other presidents. It means he was "selected not elected."

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, you are very optimistic in your looking at the cartoon as a glass half full kind of thing. It is an attack at the GOP. Liesure has it right. According to the cartoon the press is throwing softball questions, and bush is represented as a dictator.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#12]
This was NOT pro-Bush.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:32:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Pro-Bush? I think not. This is a parody indicating the left's view that Bush doesn't really answer questions, and that attendees to functions at which he appears are generally very thoroughly screened.

The Roman centurion icon was added after the beginning of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, to indicate the military focus of the Bush presidency (or so the left believes). Note that the President is actually represented by "*", indicating the left's belief that Bush was elected on a technicality, much in the same way that certain baseball statistics are demoted with an asterisk, to indicate special circumstances under which some milestone was reached.

You guys really need to spend more time reading the comics.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Why post a scan when you can get the full-color original right off the web?

Of course, I don't see the slightest hint of sarcasm in this one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:35:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You guys really need to spend more time reading the comics.

well.. i usually just read dilbert and foxtrot.. I guess I should have read more into this one... obviously I screwed up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I quit reading Doonesbury in the 80's when I woke up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Remember, fellas, hold your friends close, and your enemies closer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

He's mocking the concept of patriotism, and those in the press who might support the president.

And it's an asterisk * standing in for Bush in regards to other presidents. It means he was "selected not elected."

+1 Garry Trudeau is a hard left type.  This particular cartoon is attacking the Republicans for not allowing their events to be hijacked by Bush-haters.  This is one thing the left is doing now, they want to shout down anyone who disagrees with them and if you try and prevent them from doing that, they cry about how THEIR rights are being infringed.  I have no problem with what the Republicans do to make sure that their events are not disrupted by the moveon.org fanatics.  Americans have the right to hear from their President and the President has the right to address the American people.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
This was NOT pro-Bush.

Agreed...

I don't know why anyone would think it is.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#21]
The "feather" now has a helmet.  Kind of a take-off on the emperor has no clothes, ....this "Emperor" (Bush) has no substance, i.e. "brain".  Nothing new for Doomsbury.  If he had one kind or complimentary word for Bush he would be banished from the party circuit and have to buy his own alcohol and friends.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:35:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 Garry Trudeau is a hard left type.  This particular cartoon is attacking the Republicans for not allowing their events to be hijacked by Bush-haters.  This is one thing the left is doing now, they want to shout down anyone who disagrees with them and if you try and prevent them from doing that, they cry about how THEIR rights are being infringed.  I have no problem with what the Republicans do to make sure that their events are not disrupted by the moveon.org fanatics.  Americans have the right to hear from their President and the President has the right to address the American people.

Yup. They'll cry about their "free speech" if you prevent them from infiltrating Bush rallies to shout everyone down. But if you slip some Republican protesters into a Democrat rally, they'll complain about how the Democrat speakers' free speech rights are being infringed. In their world, free speech only exists for those who toe the party line.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#23]
It is sarcastic and criticizing the press for not asking tough questions of the president.  Rather in their press conferences, the reporters just ask softball questions and reprint whatever Bush says.  I happen to think this is true by the way.

From the reporter's standpoint, if he doesn't make waves and sucks up to the president he will continue to be invited to white house press dinners and the next press conference.  If they asked tough questions and wouldn't accept just a mindless soundbite for an answer, they would soon not have a job.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
if you slip some Republican protesters into a Democrat rally, they'll complain about how the Democrat speakers' free speech rights are being infringed. In their world, free speech only exists for those who toe the party line.

Actually, the Dems will have some union thugs pummell you into submission.  That's their dedication to the freedom to dissent.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Am I the only one who thinks that outfit would look really cool on Bush?

Maybe he should dress like that at the Inauguration in 2005!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It is sarcastic and criticizing the press for not asking tough questions of the president.  Rather in their press conferences, the reporters just ask softball questions and reprint whatever Bush says.  I happen to think this is true by the way.

Have you ever even watched  a press conference with Bush, or heard the plainly antagonistic questions asked of his press secretary??? They are anything but soft with him.  

From the reporter's standpoint, if he doesn't make waves and sucks up to the president he will continue to be invited to white house press dinners and the next press conference.  If they asked tough questions and wouldn't accept just a mindless soundbite for an answer, they would soon not have a job.

Yeah, just like Helen Thomas.

It depends less on the President, and more on the people running the newsrooms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top