Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2004 6:56:54 AM EDT
Feedback folks...Pro's/Con's Interesting points?  Anyone?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you referring to the Vortex?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Very nice.  A bit expensive.  Check out the AR-10 section.  There are current discussions on it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes the Vortex...I found it for 44.00...Wondering if it's worth it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
C4iGrant has them in the EE for $50. Check out what he says about them....

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=210555

He seems to like them well enough...He, like most others are out of stock.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Vortex is nice and functional...

Smith Enterprise's employees are a bunch of a-holes. I called and asked them to ship me one to CA for my pre-ban AR, and they angrily told me (just shy of saying the actual words) to go fuck myself. The guy yelled at me for suggesting purchasing his product.

Assholes, I would not go back, and bought a Phantom for my new upper.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Vortex is nice and functional...

Smith Enterprise's employees are a bunch of a-holes. I called and asked them to ship me one to CA for my pre-ban AR, and they angrily told me (just shy of saying the actual words) to go fuck myself. The guy yelled at me for suggesting purchasing his product.

Assholes, I would not go back, and bought a Phantom for my new upper.

Wow...So many assh*les in one industry it's really scary.  I just ordered one online.  I prefer to order off websites rather then talk to anyone these days.  

I liked the fact that the Vortex does not need a washer nor does it need to be indexed.  I guess I'll find out how good it is 1st hand.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought mine from Grant earlier this week.  They ordered a bunch of them that came in earlier this week but when I called to order one the day they arrived (UPS hadn't even delivered yet) I was told that all but 5 had alreday been spoken for and it would be a while before they would be able to get more.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#9]
The guys at Smith Enterprises have always done right by me, including custom machining a couple Vortexs to fit wierd muzzle dimensions for no charge.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Yelled at you?  I couldn't get Ron Smith to shut up about his work with the Army and his Crazy Horse rifle...  I find that hard to believe!  I've called and emailed and they were always nice but you could tell they were busy...

Spooky
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#11]
A number of people who have them really like them.  One's who have the Vortex and Phantom say that the Vortex works better.  I'm use to the A2 Birdcage and it was just OK.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the info Folks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#13]
It was designed by Ron's wife. Probably to help offset the cost of all her plastic surgery. If you try to question them about the science that went into designing it you wont get any answers because there isn't any science involved. They just took an existing flash hider design and added a twist to make it look cool. They work a little better than the old three prong (probably just due to the fact they are longer) but I have seen several of different vintage blossom and break. For this reason I would not permanently mount one on a 14.5" barrel. Use a phantom for that.

Here is a picture of Sonja Sommers who designed the Vortex.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It was designed by Ron's wife. Probably to help offset the cost of all her plastic surgery. If you try to question them about the science that went into designing it you wont get any answers because there isn't any science involved. They just took an existing flash hider design and added a twist to make it look cool. They work a little better than the old three prong (probably just due to the fact they are longer) but I have seen several of different vintage blossom and break. For this reason I would not permanently mount one on a 14.5" barrel. Use a phantom for that.

Here is a picture of Sonja Sommers who designed the Vortex.

web.archive.org/web/19980523101022/www.smithenterprise.com/img/titles/title1.jpg

She Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, rather- That works for me!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:47:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Vortexes seem to work very well, especially on shortr barrels.  I don't have one yet, it s in the works.  Ops
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I ordered on from www.CampingSurvival.com as I found it out of stock at our usual haunts with no ETA.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It was designed by Ron's wife......They just took an existing flash hider design and added a twist to make it look cool. They work a little better than the old three prong (probably just due to the fact they are longer) but I have seen several of different vintage blossom and break. For this reason I would not permanently mount one on a 14.5" barrel. Use a phantom for that.

For me the plain-jane USGI bird cage, just doesn't look as cool & awesome, but pretty much gets the job done. There is not magic or science behind a flash hider, looking cool is just as good of a reason as any. Note, though some flash hider also incorporate a muzzle brake, such as the out of production DTA unit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top