Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 11:41:00 PM EDT
Let's assume one of these "long arm of the law" stooges pulls me over at night for creeping over the speed limit.  Let's also assume I'm wise enough to pull off the road expeditiously and promptly turn off my motor, turn on my dome light, and place both of my hands upon the steering wheel.

After Barney blinds me with the artificial sun through my rear-view, do I have the legal capacity to do the same to him with my Surefire as he arrives at my window?
Please note I did not ask if the above was advisable.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

After Barney blinds me with the artificial sun through my rear-view, do I have the legal capacity to do the same to him with my Surefire as he arrives at my window?

No. While you may not be specifically prohibited from doing so by statute, its not the most brilliant thing to do.You might not get that verbal warning you were hoping to get.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll probably end up laying on the ground while he goes through your shit. If your in NY, going through your shit has a more intimate meaning

Seriously, don't piss him off after you break the law. What good does it do? Now if hes being a PITA somewhere and you haven't broken the law, go ahead and try it, see if its worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Try it.  It'l be a special ocassion.  You can come here and whine about the results and get support from the peanut gallery.

You've got a gift with words Lumpy, a fucking gift
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:55:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. While you may not be specifically prohibited from doing so by statute, its not the most brilliant thing to do.You might not get that verbal warning you were hoping to get.

So which is it?  If I'm "not specifically prohibited from doing so by statute", then the answer to my question is "yes."

You must have missed the last line of my post.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:06:45 AM EDT
[#7]
If they intentionally attempt to blind me I know it is for their safety, but I would like to know if it is a real cop or not.  There have been a couple of incidents.
I have one bright as hell back up light. Its a trail light usually found on a rednecks' rool bar.
If they put the light in that special melt your eyes spot I just turn the car off and leave it in reverse.(manual transmission.)
When I get a good look I pretend to suddenly notice they cant see shit and pull the shifter out of revers, that is when the Oh man, I'm sorry officer its just a habit to park my truck in reverse.
Then give them your papers.

I would not hit them with a surefire, If it was me I would only assume you were attempting to blind me while you retrieved a weapon.
You'd get tazered.

edit: spelling
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I would not hit them with a surefire, If it was me I would only assume you were attempting to blind me while you retrieved a weapon.
You'd get tazered.

edit: spelling

tazered as a minimum. More likely the weapon would say Glock on the side. You can be right and dead at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So which is it?  If I'm "not specifically prohibited from doing so by statute", then the answer to my question is "yes."

I didn't miss it. Believe it or not, legislatures have not felt the need to codify EVERY aspect of human life. There may not be a specific section that addresses that action by name ,"Prohibited Blinding of Officer by Artificial Illumunation in the First Degree", but it could be lumped into one of several more generic sections, depending on your state law.Why would you want to, anyway? What purpose would your action serve? If I was working nights again, I could interpret that as an action taken preceeding an attempted assault against me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:19:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, while your at it, just hold a 10 inch knife in your hands while talking with the officer. See what happens then. There is no statute specifically prohibiting you from doing that.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#11]
In my little scenario, the cop didn't walk up to the car wielding a knife either.  Nor could I envision that happening.  I am referring to something that is routine traffic stop practice, your retort be damned.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:35:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok, let me spell it out for you so you can understand.

If the above was to happen to me, the driver (you) would not be holding the light for long. Got it?

For futher information, refer to the avatar.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:36:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
In my little scenario, the cop didn't walk up to the car wielding a knife either.  Nor could I envision that happening.  I am referring to something that is routine traffic stop practice, your retort be damned.

The difference is that WE are not trying to blind you; its a side effect of checking your pupilary reaction, not the primary intent, as yours is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top