Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2004 11:27:52 PM EDT
  Ok here is the deal I left the house tonight at 5:45pm CST and went out with some friends. Later at right around 9:30pm CST my roomate and one of our friends leaves the house. Now mind this that when my roomate and friend left the house he had checked and made sure that the garage door, door connecting the garage and kitchen, and the backdoor were completely seure as in locked with all locking mechanisms on them. Now here is the problem. He cam back with me to the house at 01:15am CST and right as I pulled up I noticed something strange with the garage door and immediately recognize it as being open (roomate proceded to go wtf). Upon us checking it out it was opened a few inches, then we go trhough the garage and I begin to unlock the door but I decided to try it instead and sure enough it was unlocked now we both go wtf because I know for a fact niether of us leave the house without making sure everything is locked up. Moving on we check out the living room and kitchen and find that the backdoor is unlocked (2 locks on this door standard lock and a deadbolt) No we are really suspicious and we check the rest of the house and find nothing out of the ordinary and my roomate calls the cops so we are on file as to having a problem for the landlord. Moving along the Police Officer comes and takes a report from us and She says that she thinks it is wierd that nothing was taken and we agree. THe only thing that we can come up with is that they were in the house scoping it out. Now on a side note we had a maintenance crew in to check on our door that leaked last night when tropical depression Ivan blew through but I would hope it wasn't them and pretty sure it isn't because it happened between 10pm and 1am.

So the female officer has set up an extra patrol of our street at night for the next week. And tomorrow mornign we are going to the Landlords office and telling them that they need to come and change our lock in an expidited mannor.

Any ides anyone, and thanks for reading my ordeal of the day.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#1]
time to buy some claymores...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:33:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thinking its time to expidite the build of an AR also
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
take some 2x4's cut a notch in one end big enough for it to rest right up against the door knobs then mesure from the door knob to the floor at a 45 deg. angle and cut them to lenth instent door brace
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Change the locks ASAP.
Probably your landlord doing the snooping.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Change the locks ASAP.

On the list as first thing in the morning
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:44:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Change the locks ASAP.

Correct change all of your own locks.
I usually just replace the deadbolts and switch them back when I move.
If the landlord wants to doo a spot inspection, they can knock like any other visiter.
Also it i sometimes cheaper to buy one new deadbolt and take the rest in and have them rekeyed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:46:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks alot for the recomendations
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#8]
... two words - Passive Alarms
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:49:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm thinking four legged alarm system.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Would like to have a dog but the landlord wants a hell of a deposit for the tennants to have one
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Make sure the house does not go unoccupied until the locks are changed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, don't count on the cops for patrols.

Youi have weapons right?

Grab a flashlight, a shotgun and a nice shadowy place to wait.

And change the locks...you're being cased.  The reason everything was left unlocked was because you probably interuped them when you came home.  So they left in a hurry.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:21:58 AM EDT
[#13]
[tinfoil]You just got bugged[/tinfoil]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yeah, don't count on the cops for patrols.

Youi have weapons right?

Grab a flashlight, a shotgun and a nice shadowy place to wait.

And change the locks...you're being cased.  The reason everything was left unlocked was because you probably interuped them when you came home.  So they left in a hurry.

Sgatr15

Shit I never thought about that happening that way, because it makes perfect snese because I could not figure out why the backdoor was unlocked. My guns are at home in Memphis but the next time I go home I have a shotgun or two that I am bringing up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Change the locks yourself.  Screw the landlord. Locks only keep honest men out anyways. If they want in they'll get in.

oh yeah, +1 on the shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#16]
You need an attack tiger.
Exotic pets are cool!

Seriously, someone is screwing with you. Change the locks, the landlord might get a bit upset, but all he can do is ask for a spare. It's usually within their rights, it depends on the state. Ask your local Real Estate agency.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#17]
damn man, i bet it was those commies next door

"what's your's is mine"

are you all under metro or sherrif's jurisdiction out there?

careful man- i find it very strange that none of your all's stuff was touched- i'm freaked out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
[tinfoil]You just got bugged[/tinfoil]

+1
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thinking its time to expidite the build of an AR also

And a safe too!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, my roomate talked to the land lord today and they said the only lock we can mess with are the two that just happened to be unlocked. She also said that if we mess with the front door which is the one they have the key to we can be evicted. Also Grant I don't think it was the communists next door because I doubt they could figure out how to break in with thier f'ed up liberal, drug used brain.

Anyways we tried to secure the garage tonight with an opener and damned if that didn't screw up to. We installed it and found out the cieling was about a foot too low in comparison with the door so everything was flat against the cieling. Well, we finally ghetto rig the thing up and find out that the motor has ciezed the chain up so the unit is broken. I have come to the comclusion that isn't worth it so we are gettting lock for the garage door

Moving on I called my mom and stepdad today and they seem to think that it was one of the maintenance guys which I also agree with and that they were here as we pulled in last night because the back door was unlocked. Also, one more thing it seems that they (the landlords office) has my roomate conviced that it was not the maint. crew because they stop working at 4pm. Ok I am not a freaking idiot and think that if they quit at that time they won't come back after hours to steal something, you know what i mean. So this entire ordeal has really pissed me off because I know for a fact that someone was in my house which really pisses me off but if I ever catch wind of what happened with this or they show back up someone is going to be royally f'ed up.

*End Rant*
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Had this happen to a guy that worked for me. he told the land lord to screw off and he used his own lock. It usually takes a lot to evict some one. If they press it you can bring up the fact that it might have been a maintenance guy who unlocked the place for later. Either get out or use your own locks. and the 12 ga thing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah thats what me and my roomate just had a discussion/ me getting pissed off talk about the maint crew is supposed to be here either tomorrow or the day after and I said im locking my door which is understandable but he doesnt think that the maint crew did it because they have to check the keys out right before the job and right after but I said that if they saw somethign that they want its not going to stip them from finding a way and coming back "after hours"  But back to the eveiction thing I don't want to chance it with that too much becuase we are looking to rent a four room house from them in a year but I would like to go through a diff company but thats a different topic but if this happens again after they have been here I am personolly going to go up there and rip the landlord a new one because this kind of stuff doesn't happen by coincedence so I will probly be staying home the night that they do the job.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#23]
lights off and car parked else where.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
lights off and car parked else where.

+1 and wait with the shot gun drawn
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:42:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Well its Thursday morning and they haven't even sent the repair crew out to finish the work

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:45:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Well, my roomate talked to the land lord today and they said the only lock we can mess with are the two that just happened to be unlocked. She also said that if we mess with the front door which is the one they have the key to we can be evicted.

*End Rant*

Dude, don't ask for permission!

Just do it!

Fuck what they say.  They will never know the lcoks where redone unless you tell them or unless they try them without your permission!

Period!

Not all rules need to be followed.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Former tenant coming back?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:56:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Look for hidden cameras!

Samuel
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Change the locks ASAP.

+1

There is something called "right of domain" .....  landlord needs to STAY OUT unless you give permission.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:12:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, remember you have rights too. The landlord and maintenance crew sound fishy. Park the car somewhere where it isn't going to be seen . Sneak into the house and set up a video camera that would cover the greatest area or just keep it mobile ( with you) have your roomate there for extra witness and extra help if things get ugly. This may take awhile to catch somebody because now you are alerted. And the landlord knows it. Hopefully you will catch whomever it is. If it is the landlord you would probably be owning their property a short while after they are convicted. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks everybody, and no JLB its not a former tennant because I know all of them and we have thier keys
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#32]

Locks only keep out honest people. Dont count on them. Most of them are pretty much worthless
When I bought my house there was pad lock hanging on the front door from when the house was repoed. Nobody had the key so I purchased some cheap lockpicks off a fellow at a fleamarket. Well after practicing for a few hours I can now open up just about any lock within 5-10 minutes. Sombody that does this crap all the time can do it in seconds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top