Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2004 10:21:06 PM EDT
I have a chance to buy a cheap AK (from a friend of a friend type deal), I was wondering if there is a national database on stolen guns. I googled it and I found some for other countries, but not the US. I would like to check and see if this gun has a background, I dont know this person very well and if im not 100% sure i'll just walk. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:41:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I usually just find a homeless person near the cop shop, slip him $5, and have him take it inside and ask them to run the serial number.

"Compassionate conservatism" at its finest.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Any police dept can run the gun for a stolen check pretty fast and easy...get the SN and just ask..

It will come back as STOLEN, or NO RECORD FOUND, or if someone actually registerd it, who the owner is...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:26:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]
If the price for a case of ammo for the gun exceeds the asked for value of the firearm, it just might be stolen.

If the cost of a magazine for the gun exceeds the asked for price of the gun, the gun might be stolen.

If you can get more money on a “Buy Back” than the asked for price of the gun, the gun just might be stolen.

If you are holding one of Sean Penn’s guns, you ARE holding a stolen gun.  (They weren’t returned yet, were they?)

Any others?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Any police dept can run the gun for a stolen check pretty fast and easy...get the SN and just ask..

It will come back as STOLEN, or NO RECORD FOUND, or if someone actually registerd it, who the owner is...

Well, yeah, but then what? If it comes back stolen, somehow I just can't see the police saying "Thank you for being a concerned citizen. Have a nice day and enjoy your stolen firearm."

Also, if requesting status was indeed free of repercussions, would not someone have set up an online service where you could anonymously make such a request?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:59:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:07:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, yeah, but then what? If it comes back stolen, somehow I just can't see the police saying "Thank you for being a concerned citizen. Have a nice day and enjoy your stolen firearm."

Well YEAH....just dont put down the cash until you check it.

Also, if requesting status was indeed free of repercussions, would not someone have set up an online service where you could anonymously make such a request?

There never will be an online service with access to the FBI's National Crime Information Center records

Dude, if it was YOUR stolen gun that someone was going to buy, wouldnt you want it back?

Ask NWRED, I had to clear one of his firearms that was stolen.....I have not seen him get any jail time, But Im pretty sure that there is a guy in Montana that is very  happy to have his Shotgun back!....

Im going to bet that your AK is just fine, but If it is not.....

Why not just do the right thing?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:13:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Get the serial number from them before you purchase it.
If it turns up stolen inform the nice officer that you will not give them his name and that you will have the seller turn it in.
Warn the seller that the officers have their name and are expecting a visit from him.
This way they dont shoot his dog and kick in his doors but someone will be happy to get their rifle back.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:25:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If it turns up stolen inform the nice officer that you will not give them his name and that you will have the seller turn it in.

That's called 'Impeding a police investigation' and its a Crime.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:27:25 AM EDT
[#10]

If it has someones "cold dead hand" still attached to it, ...... its definetly stolen!  

Zen
"This is my stolen rifle, there are many like it, but this one has cold dead fingers attached to it"  

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:37:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

"This is my stolen rifle, there are many like it, but this one has cold dead fingers attached to it"  

... You're the man ZEN! Sure good to see ya back home after all these years
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:39:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's called 'Impeding a police investigation' and its a Crime.

If it is a police investigation they can/will send a subpoena for the required information.
That is why you make the guy turn it in, hard to arrest you if you bring them the weapon.
The burden of proof is their's, if the only contact info you have is a phone number give them the wrong one, accidently.
Not trying to be an ass, I just don't think someone should be charged for something they don't even know about, like possession of stolen property.
If they refuse to go to the PoPo then turn their slimey asses in.
Give them one and only one chance to make things right.
Edit: remove an f up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:49:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Dude, if it was YOUR stolen gun that someone was going to buy, wouldnt you want it back?

Absolutely. But let's look at this from the reverse angle:

Let's say you make a face-to-face purchase at a fun show. Everything seems legit and there are no obvious red flags (no need to relist them here; I think you and I both know them well). You get home, clean it, admire it, pat yourself on the back for your score...and then start thinking, "Hmm...I wonder how many times this gun has changed hands...what if it was, four or five transactions past, stolen...and is still listed as such in the NCIC?"

I agree wholeheartedly that it should, if possible, be returned to its rightful owner. But am I wrong in wishing there was a way to accomplish that goal without going through "the proper authorities," and the inherent risks to ones liberty that such contact always involves?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:01:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quoted:
am I wrong in wishing there was a way to accomplish that goal without going through "the proper authorities," and the inherent risks to ones liberty that such contact always involves?

Civil Disobedience
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:18:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... You're the man ZEN! Sure good to see ya back home after all these years

Thank you Winston, I'm glad someone understands my bizare sense of humor.  

I am Zens spleen, ........  

Zen

"This is my angry spleen, there are many like it, but mine is stalking the halls with a 7.62 caliber gas operated AR-10 assault rifle"  

P.S. I will never be the same since I watched that damn movie. (and I wasn't packed to tight in the first place)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top