Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2004 9:41:54 PM EDT
I have been around here for a while and have been around guns a lot longer but have never had length of pull explained to me. What is it? Why is it important?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#1]
LOP=The distance from the front of trigger to the center of the butt.

Most common is ~ 13.5". Adjustable LOP stocks were created to fit different frames/bone structures*.

*ETA: And in some cases shooting positions; some guys prefer a different LOP for prone vs. standing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, the length of pull is the distance between the end of the stock and the trigger. It's a fitting thing. Depending on how long your arms are, your LoP is different. Ideally, when you hold your long gun in your hand against your forearm, the end of the stock should be in the crook of your elbow.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
If you pull too hard, you may need some ointment  

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:12:08 AM EDT
[#4]
So does it have any significance to shooting other than comfort?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:32:47 AM EDT
[#5]
most stocks are too long for "tactical" use gawd, i'm cringing as i say the word, but it's the simplest description... a sporting clays SG can be long, a riot gun shouldn't be.

add to that the fact that many people try to put their head way at the back of the stock instead of up close to the reciever... on the AR, your nose should be touching the charging handle, on an HK, your cheek should be against the hump at the back of the reciever, on an AK, your cheek should be in the saddle behind the reciever... really hard to do that on an A2 or similar length stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top