Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2004 7:24:10 PM EDT
and I am looking at buying this 17hmr and notice a sign saying "out of state residents from these states  may purchase firearms in Arkansas" and I notice Florida is excluded.  I am currently in AR temorarily but am a Florida resident.  I was puzzeled why FL residents would be excluded from buying rifles in the Walmart AR.  Any ideas???

Nevada and some other gun friendly states were on the list as well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Try and buy it, and see what happens I guess
I was looking at a 17hmr at wal-mart, but they didn't sell ammo for it
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#2]
it already takes 3 hrs to buy a gun in walmart imagine how long it wouldtake if I am a Florida resident
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you still considered "out of state" if you reside in AR?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah, I am here only temororarily and am not going to get residency here
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#5]
You may already have it.  In florida you can establish residency (out of state can't buy handguns in FL) by having a driver's license, a utility bill in your name with an FL address, or a lease for a florida residence....
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah but I dont want to change my residency for the short time I am here and I am not paying any bills, I am here helping my father move and living in his house
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it just walmart policy becuase in some counties in FL there is a wating period for shotguns and rifles and when you purchase a Longgun in a state you dont reside in you have to obide by all laws in your state of residence and the state you arepurchasing in.  That might be the reason because wallmart isnt going to throught the trouble of finding out if my county has a wating period
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#8]
anyone else?? or what I said sounds like the reason
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Might have something to do with the GCA of 1968, which IIRC allows rifle purchases by residents of adjacent states (under some conditions).
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Might have something to do with the GCA of 1968, which IIRC allows rifle purchases by residents of adjacent states (under some conditions).

no here is a ATF FAQ QUOTE  (B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]

A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own state, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any state, provided the sale complies with state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]
, any resident  can purchase longguns in any state as long as the firearm sale is legal is both states.

But looking on the internet I found this

Under federal law, if authorities cannot complete a criminal background check on a gun buyer within three business days, retailers are allowed to hand over the weapon even though the buyer's status is unclear. Nine states, including California, have more stringent standards.(I think that list I saw had nine states)

The company "decided to take the extra step toward keeping guns out of the hands of individuals who possibly ought not to have them," according to the memo.

The move is a major change for a company that has sometimes been criticized for lax gun-sale policies. The Arkansas-based retailer's prominence in the national marketplace could put pressure on other major gun sellers to follow suit in voluntarily withholding firearms from buyers if it is unclear whether
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#12]
last BTT, anyone else?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:02:59 AM EDT
[#13]
have your dad buy it for you.  then give it to you as a gift.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:23:50 AM EDT
[#14]
seeing as how i worked the sporting goods counter at wally world for 5 years i will chime in. Many, if not all, states have their own laws that specifically say where residents can and cannot purchase longguns.

I'll use Kentucky as my example since I know their state law off the top of my head.

a resident of the state of kentucky may only buy a firearm in states that are contiguous to kentucky ie:Ky, Tn, Mo, Il, In, Oh, WV, and Virginia. If you are a resident of kentucky those are the only states, according to kentucky state law, that you can purchase firearms in.

the only non-residents that can purchase firearms in the state of kentucky are from the same states listed above, according to Ky state law. a person from florida cannot purchase a gun in Ky because florida is not contiguous to kentucky.

clear as mud right? i'm sure Arkansas has a similar law that specifically says who(non-resident-wise) that can purchase long guns there. there are many dealers that do not either know this or don't abide by it. I worked the sporting goods counter for about 3.5 years before i discovered it one boring evening while flipping through the different states laws in a gun law book we had.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:36:43 AM EDT
[#15]

5-73-125. Interstate sale and purchase of
shotguns, rifles, and ammunition.
(a) The sale of shotguns and rifles and ammu-nition
in this state to residents of adjacent states
is authorized pursuant to regulations issued by
the Secretary of the Treasury under the Federal
Gun Control Act of 1968 as the act is in effect on
March 4, 1969.
(b) A resident of this state shall be permitted
to purchase a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition in an
adjacent state as expressly authorized pursuant
to the regulations issued under the Federal Gun
Control Act of 1968 as the act is in effect on
March 4, 1969.

here is a the arkansas law stating you must be from an adjacent state to arkansas to purchase a long gun there.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:11:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Walmart blows dead bears.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

5-73-125. Interstate sale and purchase of
shotguns, rifles, and ammunition.
(a) The sale of shotguns and rifles and ammu-nition
in this state to residents of adjacent states
is authorized pursuant to regulations issued by
the Secretary of the Treasury under the Federal
Gun Control Act of 1968 as the act is in effect on
March 4, 1969.
(b) A resident of this state shall be permitted
to purchase a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition in an
adjacent state as expressly authorized pursuant
to the regulations issued under the Federal Gun
Control Act of 1968 as the act is in effect on
March 4, 1969.

here is a the arkansas law stating you must be from an adjacent state to arkansas to purchase a long gun there.

I think that quote is saying your allowed to but doesnt exlude other states from buying.  On that list at Walmart there were states that were allowed to purchase guns in that walmart that were not adjancent to Arkansas.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#18]
www.ammoman.com

Problem solved...
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
www.ammoman.com

Problem solved...

???,  I dont want ammo,  I want a 17hmr GUN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top