Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2004 7:19:05 PM EDT
www.zanottiarmor.com/

Don't see anything about UL ratings anywhere on the site. Fire resistance sucks at "a good job for 20 minutes". But being able to get it in the house is a huge benefit. I've had some discussion with the pros about a one piece welded safe. Basically, getting a one piece of any substance into my basement can't be done. No room, can't make the turns. No options on placement. The basement is where it's got to go, so...

Please discuss.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been thinking about these safes for awhile now. I like the option of putting it together myself as I figure I'll purchase the largest and it will be heavy. As you noted, the fire resistance is very limited but I plan on adding fire resistant material around mine (everywhere except door) when installed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't get a 30 inch safe in my basement, and 18-24 inch safes are pretty small.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've been thinking about these safes for awhile now. I like the option of putting it together myself as I figure I'll purchase the largest and it will be heavy. As you noted, the fire resistance is very limited but I plan on adding fire resistant material around mine (everywhere except door) when installed.

The heaviest part is the door which is about 150-175lbs.  David_Hineline is right, it is going to cost you about the same as a safe with a 30-45 minute fire rating.  If you want more fire resistance, you could build a closet for it using a double layer of  fire rated drywall inside and put a metal fire door on it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
A BTT for Saturday night... Anyone else have opinion or comment?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I ordered one a month ago, and it's being delivered this week!

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#7]
all the drywall leaving the USG plants now are firerated  even the 1/4 inch drywall, but i would go with 5/8 inch drywall.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#8]
back40,
Can I ask what model you ordered and the price and delivery charge? I need better security than a Homack. I'm not seeing a lot of options besides a Zanotti, building a vault room in the basement or 3 or 4 small (18-24") safes along the lines of David_Hineline's suggestion.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:22:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I ordered a 60" ZA-II.  I wanted the 72" but the price was a lot more per cu with the 72" than it was for the 60", and since I mostly own rifles, the extra height wasn't useful to me.  If you have a lot of pistols, it might be a better deal.

I paid $1399.50 for the 60" ZA-II, combo lock w/key, full carpeting, brass color, and golden rod.

I don't know the freight cost yet, as they are shipped freight collect  He estimated $100, but I'm only 300 miles from the factory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top