Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2004 7:00:33 PM EDT

How much does an average 18 year old grunt enlistee just starting out get paid in the Army?

Are there any taxes taken out of his paycheck? Is it subject to income tax, etc?

Would he pay more than $500/year in total taxes out of this?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#1]
This place should answer your questions.  

www.dfas.mil/money/milpay/pay/

You're looking for E-1/E-2 with less than a year.

When I was in I was required to pay State and Federal taxes from my pay as anyone else would.  Also Social Security etc.

bump... for a faster/better/more detailed answer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This place should answer your questions.  

You're looking for E-1/E-2 with less than a year.

When I was in I was required to pay State and Federal taxes from my pay as anyone else would.  Also Social Security etc.

bump... for a faster/better/more detailed answer.

Thanks Groov.

Umm that's monthly pay in that table isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#3]
yes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Pay is not by age.
It is by rank.

All base pay is subject to federal taxes.
Base pay may be subject to state and local taxes if applicable.

You would need to figure out the total yearly base pay and then use the appropriate tax chart from 1040EZ, 1040E or whatever tax table you want to use.

Housing pay, food pay, uniform allowance pay are not taxed.

Hazardous duty pay (special pay) is taxed.

No taxes are collected when in a combat zone on any pay.

MILITARY PAY POLICY AND PROCEDURES - ACTIVE DUTY AND RESERVE PAY
www.dod.mil/comptroller/fmr/07a/index.html
Check #44, tax withholding information

DFAS Military Pay information page:

Quoted:
How much does an average 18 year old grunt enlistee just starting out get paid in the Army?

Are there any taxes taken out of his paycheck? Is it subject to income tax, etc?

Would he pay more than $500/year in total taxes out of this?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Im about to enlist, and Im gonna be getting e3 before I go based on college credits, he said if I complete my pre-BCT checklist I might be able to bump up to E4 but he will have to check regs on that. It might be worth waiting the year and a half and attending a junior college and amassing as many creds as possible (easy fun classes, its just the credit count that matters) for a year and a half, and being able to enlist at a higher pay grade.

John

EDIT: As far as income tax, uncle sam wants his cut unless he is actively serving in a combat zone is my understanding. I do know that you can finish your degree once you are in and get a diploma from the Army. Army provides 100% tuition assitence for schooling taken during your enlistment, and credits earned go towards promotion points for your next rank.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Thanks guys. That just about covers it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Im about to enlist, and Im gonna be getting e3 before I go based on college credits, he said if I complete my pre-BCT checklist I might be able to bump up to E4 but he will have to check regs on that. It might be worth waiting the year and a half and attending a junior college and amassing as many creds as possible (easy fun classes, its just the credit count that matters) for a year and a half, and being able to enlist at a higher pay grade.

John

You will not go in any higher than E3 without a four year degree.
Go now, don't wait.
If you want more money get Airborne in your contract, extra hazard duty pay!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Already gonna see if I can get that....Im going 31Bravo. (MP) so I gotta ensure that school first

John

EDIT: And thanks for the heads up...I thought I had to pass a promo board for E4....sounded kinda funky to me....perhaps I should find the reg and inform HIM of it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top