Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 6:38:30 PM EDT
when you get a call from your boss at 11AM telling you you're fired 'cause you haven't shown up for work and the only reason you're still in bed is 'cause you were out drinking too late the night before.

One of my friends that works for the same company as me got that call today.  I'm betting it's only a matter of weeks before that friendship goes in the toilet.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm...yeah...yeah, I can see that happening.  Its the real world.  Don't go into work, theres no make-up, you just get your ass canned.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't relate to it anymore
I haven't touched a drink in over 3 years now
No, I don't feel better for quitting but had no choice... stop or go 6 feet under... not much of a choice
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#3]
it's always 5'oclock somewhere
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Another way to tell is when you get to looking forward to it like a goal. When you find yourself thinking about it at odd times when you should be thinking about more important things.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No, I don't feel better for quitting but had no choice... stop or go 6 feet under... not much of a choice

Thanks for being honest.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#6]
That's exactly why I do most of my drinking on the job.  Show up sober, get off loaded.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Ya, I know the type. And I know what you mean about the frienship ending soon. Seems like at a certain point you just can't relate anymore.

Going out and getting drunk on a work night is one thing, but not being man enough to get up and go to work regardless is another!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ya, I know the type. And I know what you mean about the frienship ending soon. Seems like at a certain point you just can't relate anymore.

Going out and getting drunk on a work night is one thing, but not being man enough to get up and go to work regardless is another!

I have a sinking feeling that more than alcohol may have been involved as well.  I don't care what someone else does on their free time, but I won't be around it, and in our business you can't afford it.  One slip on a ladder or one dropped hammer and you'll be screwed after they give you the mandatory piss test.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Another way to tell is when you get to looking forward to it like a goal. When you find yourself thinking about it at odd times when you should be thinking about more important things.

i have NO idea what you mean.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Another way to tell is when you wake up after a hard night of drinking and your liver is laying next to you crying.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1  

Well said!  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Alcoholism & absentism is a big problem in the USA, and even more so than assualt weapons. But do you want a person(we are talking about guys here, but dolls have that problem too, just the movies don't talk about it too much) working on you with on your project, assemblyline etc.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

BUT I'M NOT BITTER ABOUT IT!!

(12 years here )
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Couldn't agree more - if you can play hard, you better be able to work hard (regardless of the order).

I remember PT early Friday morning in the army sucked.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
it's always 5'oclock somewhere

It's 5 o'clock all day in Margaritaville!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a guy that works for me that's around 26 and just got out of the army.  He goes out on South Beach several nights a week but he beats me to work every single morning.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#17]
If I don't go to work smelling like booze they think somethings wrong
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have a guy that works for me that's around 26 and just got out of the army.  He goes out on South Beach several nights a week but he beats me to work every single morning.

Sounds like a hell of a work ethic to me!

Seriously though, I'd watch that guy like a hawk if I were you.

I know guys who smoke dope who function fine on the job, but they aren't too crazy about it either. Felt fine working around them.

Serious drunks, and those with serious drug problems can be a danger to those around them, not just to themselves.

I know I don't have to tell you this, as I know you've seen what construction accidents can be like first hand.

But seriously man, watch this guy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like a hell of a work ethic to me!

Seriously though, I'd watch that guy like a hawk if I were you.

I know guys who smoke dope who function fine on the job, but they aren't too crazy about it either. Felt fine working around them.

Serious drunks, and those with serious drug problems can be a danger to those around them, not just to themselves.

I know I don't have to tell you this, as I know you've seen what construction accidents can be like first hand.

But seriously man, watch this guy.

Fortunately he's not really in a position to hurt anyone other than himself (management trainee for lack of a better term), and if he hurts himself and tests positive he won't be my problem either.  All I really need out of the guy is someone to update the schedule on the computer and hold the dummy-stick when I have to check elevations for my sitework sub.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
when you get a call from your boss at 11AM telling you you're fired 'cause you haven't shown up for work and the only reason you're still in bed is 'cause you were out drinking too late the night before.

One of my friends that works for the same company as me got that call today.  I'm betting it's only a matter of weeks before that friendship goes in the toilet.

Shit....that sounds like half my friends, but instead of missing work, they miss classes.
I just arranged my schedule so my first class is at 1pm.  

ETA:  I'm also the asshole who finds people to head to the bar anytime I'm bored -- KNOWING I'll suffer no ill effects from being up until 3 or 4 am.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a problem with my drinking when I run out of things to drink.

Thankfully, my liquer cabinet is very well stocked.

TXL

Chivas, Dewars White label, 2 bottles of jack, 2 bottles of makers mark, Cuervo especial, Jaurez tequila, El Capricha tequile (Exceptional stuff), 3 bottles of Khalua (sp), Creme de Cocoa, Crown, E+J brandy, Smirnoff vodka.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Or when you wake up with a loaded Ruger GP100 in your lap and you don't recall putting it there the night before....

Or when you lean over to get out of bed, there's a Mossberg 500 on the floor next to it and you don't recall putting it there the night before...

Or when you wake up with a puncture wound on your arm and dried, crusty blood all over it and you don't recall how it happened the night before.

Or when you walk into the bathroom, the rug is thrown out in the hall, all of the medicine bottles are lined up evenly spaced on the counter (labels facing outward).  Then you pick up the rug to put it back, and all the pills are in the rug.  ..  and you don't remember doing it the night before.  

I've got others, but these are the ones that really wigged me out.  FWIW I was drinking various types of booze including Olde English malt liquor, Kentucky Deluxe Whiskey (cheapest whiskey on Earth!), and some kinda cheap Vodka and mixing it with multiple doses of prescription sleeping pills.  

I've only had two doses and six shots so far tonight.... I should be OK.

Sleep tight.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Or when you wake up with a loaded Ruger GP100 in your lap and you don't recall putting it there the night before....

Or when you lean over to get out of bed, there's a Mossberg 500 on the floor next to it and you don't recall putting it there the night before...

Or when you wake up with a puncture wound on your arm and dried, crusty blood all over it and you don't recall how it happened the night before.

Or when you walk into the bathroom, the rug is thrown out in the hall, all of the medicine bottles are lined up evenly spaced on the counter (labels facing outward).  Then you pick up the rug to put it back, and all the pills are in the rug.  ..  and you don't remember doing it the night before.  

I've got others, but these are the ones that really wigged me out.  FWIW I was drinking various types of booze including Olde English malt liquor, Kentucky Deluxe Whiskey (cheapest whiskey on Earth!), and some kinda cheap Vodka and mixing it with multiple doses of prescription sleeping pills.  

I've only had two doses and six shots so far tonight.... I should be OK.

Sleep tight.

I dreamt that I ate a big fluffy sheep.  I couldn't find my pillow.

6 pack drinking problem:  6 beers, only two hands.

I'm a drunk, alcoholics go to meetings.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:30:32 AM EDT
[#24]
i used to work at a warehouse and there were a few guys that would come in drunk...  i made it a point to stay the hell away from them if they were forking.  i didn't want some dumbass dropping a pallet on me.  and i did see them drop pallets...

there was also a guy there who's truck was at the shop cuz he crashed it while drunk, and then he totalled the loaner car too.  good luck finding an insurance company who will cover ya!

also had a childhood friend who, years later killed someone while drunk driving.  his passenger fell out the window when he missed the turn on a curvy road.  the truck rolled over him, killing him.

i don't mind drinking, but i'm not a huge fan of it.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#25]
When I got my drivers license I stopped drinking as much. I remember a lot of days waking up on the ship and going to PT or quarters and holding on long enough to make it to the head to puke. I don't do that stuff any more. I hate puking. Love scotch though.To add a few signs, when you start putting limits on yourself. As in a certain time or so much. If you don't have a problem you don't have to worry about drinking too much. Using it as a reward for yourself. At least that's what my counselers have told me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I would say that limits are a sign you are still in control.  If my friend had limits he wouldn't be fired.  I generally limit myself depending on whether I have to drive later or not.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#27]
There's a guy at work that's missed the last six Fridays.............gets paid on Thursday...........wife left him with the kids about six weeks ago.   Calls in Friday before noon and sounds like he's still drunk.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#28]
As I got older, it became tougher to get up for work after a night of even mild drinking - even just a few beers. Nowadays I drink at most one night a week, usually Friday. Never on work nights.   Also, I don't touch liquor - beer only for me, and usually only at home.

Vacations are a different story though...
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Haven't had a drop since Feb, I think it was..... and I don't miss it. More money for gun stuff....

I used to love to drink, a sixpack a night usually when  I was single. Didn't have a choice about making it to work on time, as the USMC frowned on UA.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Or how bout when you wake up pissing in the corner of the living room,and your so tired and fucked up and it feels so good you just finish and stagger off to bed..
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Couldnt have said this better myself...... + alot!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Couldnt have said this better myself...... + alot!

I'll drink to that!!!! LIVE "IT'S SATURDAY NIGHT"!!!!

Used to drink every night.  Not any more.  Only drink Friday and Saturday.  Will not call in "sick" because of drinking the night before.  But it is Sat. night....
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#33]
When the bottles are always empty...

When you have a tab at a bar...

When the Old Guy at the liquor store knows your wife and kids names...

When you have to stop at your locker for a between classes nip...

When they name a drink after you...

When you hold your hand up relaxed and it makes an "O".

When the recycle man has a regular schedule to pick up your cans....

When one of your walls displays booze bottles instead of photos...

When your wife is in bed at home and you are out for just one drink with the boys....

ETC...

MT
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#34]
My entire family so far has had problems with alcoholism. With my mother it's so bad that when she developed diabetes, she opted for the pill instead of insulin, but was told she would have to quit drinking because the pills also caused liver problems. That was three months ago. She's yet to stop.

Which is why I plan to never drink. Because I don't want problems like that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Having to put limits on yourself is the sign. But like I said, that's just what I was told by m councelers. Everyone is different.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#38]
If you can't pay, don't play. The best cure for a hangover is"don't touch it if you can't handle it. Tell him to get his priorities straight,  i have been there i know it's not easy. Withdrawals from alcohol  are 10 times worse than any drug known to man, i wish him good luck !
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#39]
You know when you have a drinking problem

when you wake up in another country, from Osan Korea, to Clark AB Phillipines
or when you take a leak and you fly isnot down
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top