Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2004 5:19:58 PM EDT
At some point in the past, I started to refinish my Mosin Nagant M91/30. You know, strip the stock, do a hand-rubbed oil finish, reblue. The works.

After I reblued the metal, but before I started doing the oil finish on the stock, I had to stop working on it because I became very busy.

So I coated it with cosmo and put it in its case.

Flash-forward a couple months. The stock's been sitting in my garage for a while, and things have become less hectic, so I started on the stock. First of fifteen layers applied tonight.

I take out the gun to look at it. Minor surface rust. Started polishing it off with some Flitz. Out of curiosity, I look through the barrel.

NOOOO! Rust! So I immediately start cleaning it out. CLP, Gun Scrubber, Sweet's, and the surface rust is gone. But there is the enemy of all guns in there still: No, not John Kerry. PITTING!

Deep, heavy pitting too. No way am I using it again. So, I figure I'll get another one, polish the bolt-handle to parade-shinyness, and put the hand-rubbed stock on it, and then put the other stock on Mr. Rusty, solder a metal dowel in the barrel to prevent use, and have a wallhanger.

I still feel bad, though, especially since I paid about twice what the rifle was worth (I was stupid as to values then) to get it, and it didn't have a bayo, cleaning kit, or anything except matching numbers and an [SA] stamp. Not even the Finnish free-floating.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#1]
From a recent look, I believe I have allowed a Mauser to do the same thing, and I'm feelin' pretty damned bad myself.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Education isn't cheap.  Just be glad it wasn't a family heirloom.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate to rain on your guilt parade but  you'll be surprised how well that thing'll fire with some pitting in the barrel.
My dad's got two 8mm surplus guns; one with a pristine barrel and another that someone apparently filled with mud and salt and left capped for 20 years. I almost think you might see light shining in the pits from the outside.

You guessed it, the pitted one is about 1/3 more accurate. So shoot away, it's not a bench rifle anyway.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top