Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 4:41:56 PM EDT
Greetings.

I need a 5x5 plate heater for my hot tub. In searching the Idiotnet, I find a fairly staggering variety of prices for the 5.5 kW unit I need. This is basically what I'm talking about, from PoolandSpa.com

They're asking $68.63.

Spasandmore.com ask $60.00 for a similar item, however it's got unspecified wattage. Hmm.

So, in the ARFcom sphere of influence, do I stand a chance of getting such an element at my local spa supplier for a reasonable price, or have deals on such things been relegated to the Idiotnet?

However, if Jennifer (BOTD LINK) were willing to deliver the element, I'd be pretty flexible on how much I'd pay!

I can't believe I burned post #3,000 on this stupid topic.

Regardless, anyone with spa experience, please help me out.

Thanks. On to 4,000.

Edited title to hopefully draw more traffic. Heh.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#1]
As a pool and spa repair company owner I would say you probably would not get close to that price locally as installing those parts and standing behind it is not worth 60 dollars and change.
I would replumb the whole spa to use a gas heater and pump located remotely.
Quick heating, more powerful jets, more reliable, servicable etc.
My 1.5 cents
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I wasn't suggesting getting a company like yours to replace the thing for $60, just that some of the spa places might have the part available for maybe $75 or so. I'll pay a little more for the part locally to help the local guy and to have some comfort in holding the new article next to the old one before buying it.

I've been recommended to replace the heater and pump as you describe by others, but that's not in the cards, at least not in the forseeable future.

Thanks, though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]
tag, wife's around...
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:44:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I operate a spa service in Kansas and can tell you you can expect to pay ay least $150.00 for that element.

That is if anyone is willing to sell you one. The distributors in the KC area are to the trade only.

Watsons and the Catalina are the only people I know that are willing to sell parts to the public.

Should you buy this element on line I would also replace the pressure switch while your at it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:10:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, we see Jennifer on every Watsons commercial. Her body is ok, I kind of find her face a little off though. Just me I guess.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I operate a spa service in Kansas and can tell you you can expect to pay ay least $150.00 for that element.

That is if anyone is willing to sell you one. The distributors in the KC area are to the trade only.

Watsons and the Catalina are the only people I know that are willing to sell parts to the public.

Should you buy this element on line I would also replace the pressure switch while your at it.

Thanks, OldGuy. I will look around for the pressure switch as well. The stainless steel shroud is in great shape, and there is no problem with the housing.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Jennifer...hot tub...clothing optional...'nuff said!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:30:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Jennifer came into the restaurant I worked at in Nashville a few years ago one time. Even though the commercials get payed to death I didn't recognize her until a co-worker told me who she was. Pretty girl, but Nashville is full of better looking ones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top