Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 3:43:49 PM EDT
Well, hit the range today with a couple friends to play "benchrest commandos".

We were all having a blast shooting our Hi Point carbines and all. They called a ceasefire and I went out to change targets, so.... as I am at the 100 yard line the RO calls for a COMMENCE FIRE!!

WTF? I am at the hunderd yard line with a ball peen hammer and a silouhette target scratching my nuts when I heard that. There were about 12 people on the line when my buddy yelled out to STOP, man down range!

The RO gets on his mega screaming ceasefire ceasfire!!

It was a good thing no dumbasses were at the benches or else i'd be swissjew

Well, the RO was very apologetic and I did get a free pass for next time.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Swissjew........lol.   That is pretty scary though.  What went through your mind as you heard "COMMENCE FIRE!"?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow 6 bucks for your life.  Mr. RO would be looking for a new jobbie.  If they have a pro shop, I would have some freebie hardware...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, thats a big whoops!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Thank god you're ok!!!

Holy cow!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Swissjew........lol.   That is pretty scary though.  What went through your mind as you heard "COMMENCE FIRE!"?

Damn gonna have to change my Depends undergarment.  That's what I would be thinking...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, I'da brown capped too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn gonna have to change my Depends undergarment.  That's what I would be thinking...

Hehe
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Good thing you didn't have a big Star of David pinned on your back and a bunch of  Palestinians and/or Germans on the firing line.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I was ready to hit the dirt as there is a little berm at the place I was setting up a target.

Good thing the chunky group of guys shooting next to us were eating Taco Bell at the back of their van.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Hell I did from just reading the post........
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Heh.. I had a RO almost call for a live firing range when I was walking back, about 50 feet out.  I told her she must not like me very much
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Are these budget or private ranges?  The public ranges I frequent use the buddy system so no one person can call an all clear.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Mortal danger vs Free Pass.  Oh yeah, that's 'equal'.
That RO needs a 'vacation', and you should get AT LEAST a full year free, and a formal apology from the range staff. Grind the lesson into their skulls, before their laxness gets someone killed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Skidmarks at least.

Glad you made it to post about it.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#15]
At my local public range you designate a RO. My buddy and I were out once and whle I was checking my target my buddy was talking to some guy there witha nerdy friend holding his pistol sideways like a gansta,
Anyway just as I was changing targets I heard someone empty a mag. I looked back and he emptyed his pistol at the pisotl targets at 25 yards   same line of fire. I droped and alost drew up. My buddy was all over his ass by the time I got up there.

I calmly asked if i could see his pistol. I took it apart and told him if he could put it back together we might let him stay and watch.

He left promtply.

scary as hell
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
At my local public range you designate a RO. My buddy and I were out once and whle I was checking my target my buddy was talking to some guy there witha nerdy friend holding his pistol sideways like a gansta,
Anyway just as I was changing targets I heard someone empty a mag. I looked back and he emptyed his pistol at the pisotl targets at 25 yards   same line of fire. I droped and alost drew up. My buddy was all over his ass by the time I got up there.

I calmly asked if i could see his pistol. I took it apart and told him if he could put it back together we might let him stay and watch.

He left promtply.

scary as hell

I would probably be arrested if what happened to you happened to me.  Dude would not have walked away from range...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#17]
you're Jewish?!?!?!?!?  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Angelas shooting ranges?  Their RO's cant see through their marijuana induced droopy eyelids and prison sunglasses.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe the RO was playing a joke on you; isn't Rosh Hashana Hebrew for "April Fool's"?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Makes me glad I live in a place where the mountains are only 5 minues away
and there are lots of places to shoot with no idiots around except me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#21]
+1 on the Angeles range.  Been there once, won't do it again.

I stick with San Gabriel Valley Gun Club, the range in Redlands, or our department range.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Godamn, that should be at least a season pass dude.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was ready to hit the dirt as there is a little berm at the place I was setting up a target.

Good thing the chunky group of guys shooting next to us were eating Taco Bell at the back of their van.

I was thinking the same thing..."Where's the damn berm!?!?"
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn. Lucky you had your buddy with you who accounted for your absence.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#25]
why is it all the scary range stories I see are at ranges with range officers?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Makes me glad I live in a place where the mountains are only 5 minues away
and there are lots of places to shoot with no idiots around except me.

well, I am only a few minutes from open desert, but I was meeting some friends from down in suburbia.

I actually have only been to pay to shoot ranges under 20 times. I love the open desert or mtns because I can set up my own course.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Perhaps he is a real 'range Nazi'...

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mortal danger vs Free Pass.  Oh yeah, that's 'equal'.
That RO needs a 'vacation', and you should get AT LEAST a full year free, and a formal apology from the range staff. Grind the lesson into their skulls, before their laxness gets someone killed.

+1
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The same thing that goes through your mind when you hear a pilot yell "Clear!" while you are disengaging a tow bar from the nose wheel of an aircraft. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The same thing that goes through your mind when you hear a pilot yell "Clear!" while you are disengaging a tow bar from the nose wheel of an aircraft. Planerench out.

That one of the reasons I'll stick with jets.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Were you wearing one of those hip new Kerry/Edwards tshirts?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Boy!  Glad you're ok Tac!  I'd a peed my pants for sure.  It reminds me of something an Army friend told me about his trips to the qualifing range.  He said that the RO before every string would ask, "Does ANYbody see ANYbody down range?  [pause]  I'll ask it again.  Does ANYbody see ANYbody down range?"  It was funny the way he said it at the time.  It's not so funny anymore.

-YJ
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Where you wearing MARPAT?  Glad you are OK!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Glad your ok man! I've had a few bad experiences at variuos ranges. Take care.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top