Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2004 3:06:54 PM EDT
I posted this here because of the high traffic on this board.

I found a .223 in my stash made by UMC lot# L223R3 that had a defective brass. The forming process was incomplete and left a void in the case neck that ran almost completely through the shoulder of the case. It is rounded on each side and about 3/16 inch wide at the top and approx 1/4 inch long. It leaves the knurled part of the projectile exposed and is almost wide enough, deep enough to let powder out.

As if you stood a case up on its base end and filed a "V" in it with a tail on the "V" running almost to the side of the case.

If it seems like I'm giving too much detail, sorry. I just wanted to make a description that even TNFrank could understand.

Should I just throw it away and forget it or let the manufacturer know that they might want to look at their brass on that lot? I shot all but that one before I happened to see it. That was back when I had a loose gas block on my bolt and was diagnosing the problem so  could it have been a part of the problem too?

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this thing on?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Just toss it mate
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I'd let them know.

Who knows, you might get a freebie out of it.

And QC will appreciate the feedback.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn’t hurt to let them know a bad one got through.

Still, over the years I’ve seen a fair number of bad rounds come out of factory boxes, it’s not like it never happens!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I knew a guy that reported some bad rounds on some federal 22 match ammo. they sent him a couple bricks to make up for the inconvienence. might be worth a shot.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#6]
What the hell. I'll let them know.  It's probably way to late to do a sampling survey but it could keep them from screwing up in the future.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Incidentally, Remington will probably want the Lot Number off the box the round came in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top