Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 11:37:35 AM EDT
As is the usual policy of our company, every so often we go through the supply rooms and develop a pile of stuff that is given away to employees.  The valuable stuff is raffled off (free), and the rest is just put on a table for first come first serve.  Well, I walk in there and in a mass of junk (obsolete letterhead, mugs, posters, etc...) There is a brand new AC Delco 78-6YR (840 CA - 675 CCA) battery still in the wrapper.  No date is visable, but one may exist under the documentation.  Since I have a full sized side terminal GM pickup, I figure why not snag it!  If I don't use it, I'll just dump it off on a recycling center.  

I have two questions.

1) Is this a decent battery?

2) If (Yes) to number one, after no useage for an unknown number of years (probably 3-4) is it useless no matter what?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Its free , so why not try it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Its free , so why not try it?

Because I want to know if I can count on it as a viable replacement option when I need it.  I don't want to replace my current one when it dies with a doomed one (after a good charge of course).  

I took it because it was free.  Guaranteeing that I'll use it is something else.  I'd have probably been asked to get rid of it anyway, so if it's worthless, it's a wash anyway...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#3]
i fucking HATE AC Delco batteries...............

the past two that came stock in my '98 and '01 silverados have leaked battery acid down the positive terminal and absolutely DESTROYED the positive cable thus making me have to replace them.  now i take the AC Delco, throw it in the fucking trash and get a red top optima right off the bat....................

that is all
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

the past two that came stock in my '98 and '01 silverados have leaked battery acid down the positive terminal and absolutely DESTROYED the positive cable thus making me have to replace them.  now i take the AC Delco, throw it in the fucking trash and get a red top optima right off the bat....................

that is all

The problem is less with the battery (all the side terminal batteries will leak) but with a poor design (top-post is better) and over-tightening battery bolts, which mechanics seem to love to do.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Get an Optima at Sams Club or Pep Boys.  That way it is new, 2 yr free replacement warranty, 5 year total pro-rated, massive cranking amps, and a much better design.  How much is it worth getting stranded or being late due to a poor decision?  Optimas are around $100.  I have three of them in service, as we speak.  My stock battery failed at exactly 4 years, which is typical.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get an Optima at Sams Club or Pep Boys.  That way it is new, 2 yr free replacement warranty, 5 year total pro-rated, massive cranking amps, and a much better design.  How much is it worth getting stranded or being late due to a poor decision?  Optimas are around $100.  I have three of them in service, as we speak.  My stock battery failed at exactly 4 years, which is typical.  

This one is now mine, and it was free.  Hence the questions...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#7]
After a full charge, take it to Sears or your favorite auto parts store to have it load tested.  Peace of mind is worth $100 Optima to me, particularly after my wife was stranded on a 105 degree day with perishable groceries.  

This is the most sane advice you could possibly ignore.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
After a full charge, take it to Sears or your favorite auto parts store to have it load tested.  Peace of mind is worth $100 Optima to me, particularly after my wife was stranded on a 105 degree day with perishable groceries.  

This is the most sane advice you could possibly ignore.

Load testing?  Is this usually a free thing done by Pep Boys, etc...?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

that is all

There's a HUGE difference in the quality between original and replacement batteries. The American auto manufacturers insist on buying the absolute cheapest POS battery that the lowest bidder can provide. However, in my experience, the replacement Delcos tend be very high quality – right up there with Interstate and Deka.

BTW, I'm almost certain that Auto Zone does battery load tests for free.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that is all

There's a HUGE difference in the quality between original and replacement batteries. The American auto manufacturers insist on buying the absolute cheapest POS battery that the lowest bidder can provide. However, in my experience, the replacement Delcos tend be very high quality – right up there with Interstate and Deka.

BTW, I'm almost certain that Auto Zone does battery load tests for free.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

that is all

Holy Shit! Me and "Cracka Azz Cracka" actually agree on something...

Lead/Acid batteries are for losers. Optima or any other dry cell beats the stuffin' out of them.

D.
AZEX
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Whatever you decide to do, dont store it directly on concrete.  I dont know what causes it to drain it so quickly, but it will.

And if anyone knows why, please PM me as this thread will most likely get buried.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top