Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2004 10:53:36 AM EDT
I was approached at the range today by a couple of guys I see there regularly.  Apparently they are repo guys specializing in higher visibility cars.  I spoke with them for a while and it does sound interesting.  It is a complete 180 degree change from my current career.  What would you guys do?  Do you think it would be cool stealing back cars from folks who don't pay?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Yea, i watched the show it dont seem too bad
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

What show?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Life's short, Live it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I've watched the TV show a few times, and yeah it LOOKS like fun.  Doing it part time might be a hoot, but those guys have to be ready to go on a moments notice to make any real money.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What show?

The Repo Man
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Life's short, Live it.

Well that was one of my concerns that being a repo guy might contribute to making that short life a little shorter
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I remember the show, only watched it a few times. Can't remember when or what it is on, or what it was called even. Repo work can be very dangerous too. Neighbor does repo work, the last truck he had from the company was beat to hell from folks who "lost" their vehicles.Beat to the point it had chunks missing out of the rear panels. Even has had guns pulled on him.
He loves the work and works for a different company now. Makes enough his wife can stay home with their 3 little girls.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Kinda like pimpin your life for money. Far cry from being a soldier or police officer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Kinda like pimpin your life for money. Far cry from being a soldier or police officer.

Well isn't ANY job that's not working for yourself  Pimping your life for money"?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well isn't ANY job that's not working for yourself  Pimping your life for money"?

How many of those jobs do you stand a good chance at
getting killed ? That is pimping your lifenot just your time. Soldiers and cops have a higher calling so to speak. Repo man is just making money for some lardass in an office on the 50th floor.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I've driven the getaway car on two repos, my buddy's mom owns a tow company that does it. Let's just say it's all fun and games until you get shot at. Hell of an adrenaline rush, it's basically legalized Grand Theft Auto

All it took was one dude with a pistol to make me realize that I'm not taking a bullet for my OWN car, let alone someone else's. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#12]
The life of a repo man is always intense.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How many of them do you stand a good chance of getting killed ? That is pimping your lifenot just your time. Soldiers and cops have a higher calling so to speak. Repo man is just making money for some lardass in an office on the 50th floor.

OK  I understand you now.  I kinda like the idea of making the lardass on the 50th floor responsible for his actions.  But it is a huge difference in career.  that's why I was posing the question to others here.  Was looking for constructive views on a career change in collateral recovery.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I did it a couple summers on an Indian reservation. NOT fun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Man that's a classic film.  Shrimp, plate of shrimp!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#16]
If you're married with kids, you'll probably regret the choice.

If you're young and single, go for it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#17]
get some good body armor.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I talk to a lot of them every day, most seem like Retards that could not find their way out of a wet paper bag. The ones I talk to cant read a simple Impound form. Now the ones I dont talk to are more than likely O.K.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
i used to do it with a tow truck.

i quit the day a guy stuck a shotgun in my face.

Most of the time they doit really early in the am non-bill payers are sleepin wake up "Dude wheres my car?"
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#21]
hook it up to a tow truck-no way

snatch it like it was being stolen(usually with keys)- yep

danger is that the fuckers know they haven't paid the bills, and will be on the alert.

it would be a huge help to know how to install car alarms/ so you know how to defeat them

even my grandfather still does it on occassion for his friend, he is almost 80
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Low-lifes tend to go to bed around 5AM.  When I worked in DC I'd often times see the police raiding drug houses at around 7AM.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I trade risk every day for my green... laying upside down in a stamping press so that people can drive cars is a pretty scary thing, I'll bet that being a window washer on a sky scraper is pretty scary as well. Like most things in life, I suspect that risk management and a healthy dose of testicular fortitude go a long way in making a good repo man.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I can tell you that repoing stuff can make you feel like shit sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I fixed tires and pumped gas at a Shell station when I was in High School.  I once fixed a tire for a repo man that had a stealth pickup with a tow mechanism that would fold up and lay down in the bed.  The right rear fender and two bullet holes in it.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I can tell you that repoing stuff can make you feel like shit sometimes.

Yeah, but can't any job be that way?  I'm going on a run this weekend with them.  I'll see what it's like.  These 3 guys are knoking down an average of 3 grand a car.  That's a lot of money!  I don't know what they pocket.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Combining two of my least favorite occupations; Thief and tow truck driver.  They are right up there with defense attornies, bounty hunters, and mall ninjas...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Combining two of my least favorite occupations; Thief and tow truck driver.  They are right up there with defense attornies, bounty hunters, and mall ninjas...

I have never liked either myself.  That was one of my initial concerns.  It feels like a "dirty" job.  But then again, I pay my f'ing bills so if some lame ass doesn't pay his, why should he get a free walk...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
danger is that the fuckers know they haven't paid the bills, and will be on the alert.

The danger is the owner, or cops, dont know you are a repo man and shoot you for a car theif.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I notice you're from Texas.

Remember the case where the repo guy was stealing a car back and the "owner" shot him with a .30-30 rifle?

In Texas you can shoot someone to prevent theft at nighttime.  That's what he did.

Repo man was DRT.

And it was ruled Justifiable Homocide.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I once fixed a tire for a repo man that had a stealth pickup with a tow mechanism that would fold up and lay down in the bed.  

That's what the ones working around here have too.  Now if they could just get valid driver's licenses and their parole officers permision to be more than 50 miles from home too...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Remember the case where the repo guy was stealing a car back and the "owner" shot him with a .30-30 rifle?

In Texas you can shoot someone to prevent theft at nighttime.  That's what he did.

Repo man was DRT.

These guys specialize in high line cars.  They claim almost all recoveries are done in parking garages on Fridays when the non payer is in the office.  They avoid night heists in driveways unless it's a tow and go, in which case your gonna be gone before the owner knows whats up.  They mainatain what they call a "Neutral" 3rd party who is armed and let's a "mouthy" non payer aware of the pending hydraulic failure if he raises a weapon during recovery.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Repo man was DRT.

They avoid night heists in driveways unless it's a tow and go, in which case your gonna be gone before the owner knows whats up.  

That's what happened here, except for the part where the .30-30 round came through the rear window of the wrecker and impacted the repo man's brain.

After that, it all kinda went downhill.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
That's what happened here, except for the part where the .30-30 round came through the rear window of the wrecker and impacted the repo man's brain.

After that, it all kinda went downhill.

You had to say repo man and brain in one sentance.  Here comes the peanut gallery for sure
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

You had to say repo man and brain in one sentance.  Here comes the peanut gallery for sure

Good point.

He may have had one before this incident.  He was surely without one afterwards.

It was then on the dashboard.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What show?

Show? Watch the movie! Decaying aliens in your trunk? Gov't agents coming after you?

Ferget it!

Actually it's a really funny movie.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#37]
So what kind of money we talking about here?
How much do repo men make?  Really.
Does anyone know?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Thief and tow truck driver

why the woody for tow truck drivers?

it didn't pay much, but i really enjoyed helping people out of jams.

Think impounding...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man that's a classic film.  Shrimp, plate of shrimp!
www.anti-heroart.com/repoman.jpg

People see me coming, they shit scared.  Know I'm not a cop, think I come to kill 'em. .. And I WOULD too.  I'll kill anybody that messes with me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

it didn't pay much, but i really enjoyed helping people out of jams.

What's that infamous S-10 rated for towing?  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Find one in every car...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#43]
I drove a tow truck for a recovery agency for a couple of years . It was easy money since I didn’t have to deal with the people .

I don't have any moral dilemma with it . I don’t buy what I cant afford and if I did end up in a situation where I couldn’t pay , I'd call up and surrender it myself !!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:48:43 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Predatory (illegal) tows. Towing from private property without a signed PPI.  Towing from 15 mins zones imediately. Ect.  Unfortunately the only redress victims of illegal tows have is civil court.  The law should allow the police to arrest tow drivers for auto theft if they knowingly perform an illegal tow.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Witout the repo man banks wouldn't loan you money to buy your car, when I was taking my CCW class the attorny hosting the legal part of the class,said to be sure and put down any and all tickets,warrants and everything on record about you!!!

And the reason was one of our class had been arrested for assault and battery several times,and would still get his permit because of all things he was a repo man and had his ass almost handed to him many times in the normal duties of his job!!!

He never assaulted anyone just defended himself many times in his job discription!!

It does sound like OP said could go really bad at anytime!!!

When I see bail bondsman or a repo man or a high wire walker I always think to myself gee he must have way many more bills than I do!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#46]
I watched the show, whatever it was called.  It was a husband and wife team from Utah. They repo'ed two jet ski's from a guy on a lake. The moron repo guy had a gun in the small of his back, clearly visible, trying to "show off" that he was carrying. Thats going to get himself hurt one day, it's one thing to carry for protection, it's another to try and intimidate people, acting like a tough guy. The guys on the dock could have easily grabbed that gun as he was getting on the jetski. Real bad tactics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top