Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2004 10:39:04 AM EDT
Looks like Ivan is spawning some nasty weather. Member in central VA you may want to start taking cover.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Gee thanx and you are sending it north to us you pricks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Nelson, Amherst, Buckingham, Appomattox, Halifax, Pittylvania, Campbell counties under tornado warnings
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Hasn't even rained here yet...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Ablosutely pouring here right now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hasn't even rained here yet...

Lookslike areas east of US 29 are going to get hammered by some severe thunderstorms and tornados.  Looks like the atmosphere is very unstable due to sunlight, high humidity and Ivan
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#6]
It is been raining hard all day and now it is getting darker outside.  I don't like it.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks.  I'm up on Quantico...but we live in south Stafford.  Better call the Missus to lay low and keep a sharp weather eye.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Tornado warnings now issued for Charlotte Courthouse and South Hill Va
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#9]
It always sux to be on the eastern side of these storms, as that's where the tornadoes tend to hang out. I'm on the west side and so far I've picked up right around 4" of rain and had no severe weather.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#10]
This data center doesnt have any windows so I have no clue if theres tornados or waves of topless women outside.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Charlottsville VA- Tornado Warning
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This data center doesnt have any windows so I have no clue if theres tornados or waves of topless women outside.

Too bad, it's raining Nekkid Womanz out there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#13]
NOVA is just cloudy at the moment.

However, I just noticed the wind is starting to pick up sharply.

Think I’m going to make a fast trip to the grocery store before everyone else does (in other countries, any kind of alert or crisis results in everybody going to church - around here everybody goes to the grocery store!!).
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
NOVA is just cloudy at the moment.

However, I just noticed the wind is starting to pick up sharply.

Think I’m going to make a fast trip to the grocery store before everyone else does (in other countries, any kind of alert or crisis results in everybody going to church - around here everybody goes to the grocery store!!).

Pick up some extra TP for me.

I'm on the Fairfax/Loudon border...It looks like we we get the squall that are currently South of Charlottsville.  Any idea how fast that stuff is moving?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like another line of storms is starting to form just west of I95 and are training north.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Nothing yet here in the Richmond area, but it's coming.  Hopefully, the slightly leaning tree in the backyard will make it through this round, but I have my doubts.  Too much rain lately has really annoyed me.  All I know is, when I'm elected God, shit is gonna change.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Nothing yet here in the Richmond area, but it's coming.  Hopefully, the slightly leaning tree in the backyard will make it through this round, but I have my doubts.  Too much rain lately has really annoyed me.  All I know is, when I'm elected God, shit is gonna change.

Good luck.  These storms have a bullseye on Richmond
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks.  

Not too worried though........the tree is leaning towards the neighbor's house anyway.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I spent the day in Dranesville (near Leesburg) and it rained HARD around noon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Raining like all get out here since 2:30 pm. Thunder storms.

Between Lynchburg and C'ville.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Gus,  you were right around the corner from me.  What were you doing down here?  It was a gully-washer there for a while.  I thought it would keep going but then the sun came out-weird.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gus,  you were right around the corner from me.  What were you doing down here?  It was a gully-washer there for a while.  I thought it would keep going but then the sun came out-weird.

I work for "A" major telecommunications company that has a big underground facility just off Leesburg Pike. I was eating at the Chick Filet when the rain came down. I was there yesterday and today. Luckily, I got out of there by 2:00 today, or it would have been another 4 hour ride home (like yesterday).

ETA - I often work a day or two in northern VA - usually Dranesville or Manassas, or sometimes in downtown DC (although I avoid that like the plague).
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I work for "A" major telecommunications company that has a big underground facility just off Leesburg Pike. I was eating at the Chick Filet when the rain came down. I was there yesterday and today. Luckily, I got out of there by 2:00 today, or it would have been another 4 hour ride home (like yesterday).

ETA - I often work a day or two in northern VA - usually Dranesville or Manassas, or sometimes in downtown DC (although I avoid that like the plague).

Underground....HUMMMMMMMMMMM-Lotsa underground facilities in this area I'd say.  Next time your down, stay over and use the NRA Range.  It's not too far away.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Underground....HUMMMMMMMMMMM-Lotsa underground facilities in this area I'd say.  Next time your down, stay over and use the NRA Range.  It's not too far away.

Is the NRA range at the HQ in Fairfax?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Our Twin Otter is stuck up in Va right now. Has been since before Frances. It would be ironic if a twister took it out while its up there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the NRA range at the HQ in Fairfax?

Sure is!  Around back to the left-Lower level.  The Museum is on the groundfloor.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Our Twin Otter is stuck up in Va right now. Has been since before Frances. It would be ironic if a twister took it out while its up there.

You moved it to the wrong spot.  It's getting bad all over the state and they have already declared VA a Federal Disaster zone...and it's still early.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Hhhmmmm - we have a HUGE facility in Oakland Mills(?) very near there. In fact, last time I was there I stayed at the Holiday Inn within view of the HQ building. I wanted to go to the museum, but my work hours wouldn't get it done.  Next time...  There's always next time....  What are the hours at the range?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#29]
My parents just got hit in Greene county.  Houses 1 mile away are completely destroyed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#30]
You guys stay safe down there. It's coming here next, but I appear to be just to the east of the worst stuff...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#31]
i'm in eastern goochland off of Rt 6 and the rain is COMING down. supposedly there's a tornado near by, but i haven't seen it yet. we'll see how things go! everyone stay safe!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Hhhmmmm - we have a HUGE facility in Oakland Mills(?) very near there. In fact, last time I was there I stayed at the Holiday Inn within view of the HQ building. I wanted to go to the museum, but my work hours wouldn't get it done.  Next time...  There's always next time....  What are the hours at the range?

Til 9-10 pm IIRC. The Arfcom'ers try to shoot Wed evenings.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Til 9-10 pm IIRC. The Arfcom'ers try to shoot Wed evenings.

Noted! Next time it can be done, it WILL be done!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#34]
any word on the weather in wise county (coeburn) have a bunch of family down there
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
any word on the weather in wise county (coeburn) have a bunch of family down there

Do you have a zipcode?  you can go on the Weather Channel website and check it out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

No tornados, only flooding...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#37]
My parents just got hit again.......
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#38]
My parents just called from their closet because the neighbor down the road had called them to say that the twister was headed right for them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
My parents just called from their closet because the neighbor down the road had called them to say that the twister was headed right for them.

WOW!  Are they OK???

Where are they?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I just got a call that a funnel cloud just touched down near Wegmans in Dulles. Stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I just got a call that a funnel cloud just touched down near Wegmans in Dulles. Stay safe.

Holy $HIT!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WOW!  Are they OK???

Where are they?

I just got of the phone with them.  They are ok

They live in Greene country (Just north of Charlottsville)  The county has been hit by 2-4 tornados.  My parents have heard on the radio that hundreds of houses are destroyed and that the red cross is opening a shelter for those who have loss homes.  However, roads are blocked by trees and powerlines.  This is a very rural area and some people may not be able to get out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Weather channel has said that there are CURRENTLY 3 sighted tornados in NOVA and in MD near Dulles, Sterling, Fredrick MD and Winchester.

stay safe!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the alert... Sterling is the next town over...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Our Twin Otter is stuck up in Va right now. Has been since before Frances. It would be ironic if a twister took it out while its up there.hinking.gif

damm good aircraft good luck I hope it fairs well!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Closet or Coffin,,,it does not take much to make a secure safe space if you do it your self....and of course have to easy know how,,which is easy as sht to learn
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

damm good aircraft good luck I hope it fairs well!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Winchester, Va
So far all the major stuff has gone east and west of us.

3 buildings near the airport were hit by reportedly a tornado. major damage.:( hope everyone is ok.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm watching News8 and they are showing houses in Remington that lost their roofs to a twister earlier this afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy $HIT!

yeah Holy Shit!  I work less than a mile from there and left work about 20 minutes before you posted this!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top