Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2001 11:00:01 AM EDT
Hey, I had read 2 or so years back that one could make their own buffer out of an old piece of rubber or leather.  I tried it and it worked great.

At work, we have mouse pads that have a rubber backing that really work good.  They are thin and can be used single stacked, double, or triple.  I have used them with great success as they cut easily and can be form fitted.

My company wants us to give them out as promotional gifts to clients.  I assume you are all POTENTIAL clients, so if you want one, please email me and I'll send one, or a few out to you, and I'll pay the postage.  I've done this once or twice on Bowers and had quite a few take advantage of it, not sure why I haven't posted it here???

Also, please, if you do take advantage of this offer, please note so on this message so as to return it to top so that someone else can see it.

Thanks,

email name and shipping address to:

[email protected]

Buffer example:

[url]http://www.mousepadintobuffer.homestead.com/[/url]

Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#1]
mmmmmmmmmmmmm free stuff.....cool!
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Uh, can these be used in a 10/22 or a .38?
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's what I've used them in:

AR15/M-16
Daewoo
AK47
SKS
HK91
M11/9

Not sure about the 10/22 as the bolt comes into contact with a rod/pin, and as for a .38? not sure where or why you would use a buffer in a .38

Why did I answer this question?  it just occurs to me that it's Embryo(glio) asking.  I should know better!
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Is that like a hummer, or something?
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#5]
ya, I'll take one or two... whatever yer sendin'

thanks much
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Mr Spock:
Is that like a hummer, or something?
View Quote

yeah spunk, I mean spock, we got whatever you want...
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#7]
so how does this work?
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By The Beer Slayer:
U da MAN!

mike harrell

Ps. check yer email
View Quote

I second the nomination!

[beer]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#10]
You got mail!
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Free is me!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
so how does this work?
View Quote

How does the offer work?  or how does the buffer work?

The offer works like this, email me your name and address, I mail you some rubber mouse pads, and then I delete your name and address email.  You receive mail in a few days and enjoy [:)]

How does the buffer work?  It's just like a shock absorber in your gun.  Take for example an AK-47.  When the bolt carrier moves rearward, it's backwards momentum is ceased when the bolt carrier slams into the back of the receiver.  Metal on metal contact is pretty rough.  Sure an AK will last almost forever, but why not be nice to your friend?

Take a mouse pad and cut out a "U" shaped piece and put it into the rear of your receiver.  Add some legs to it, or cut a hole in it to fit around your return spring.  Or use one drop of rubber cement to hold to back of receiver.  For an AK with decent recoil, I'd do 2 maybe 3 stacked up.  You can even glue them together with some rubber cement.

Right off you'll notice a softer recoil, less snap in your shoulder and on your cheek.  Makes it more comfortable to shoot.

On my 10 1/2" M-16 commando barrel, I glued a piece to the front of my buffer tube.  This way the back of the bolt carrier is coming into contact with rubber rather than metal.  This solves the "bolt bounce" phenomenon for me as the rubber deadens the bolt cariers rearward movement after battery.

Anyhow, knock yourselves out, I have plenty to mail.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Mail call. [8D]

COLTSHORTY

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Post some detailed pics. The description of how to use these mouse pads as buffers is vague at best. Maybe some pics would clarify it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#16]
ME ME ME ME
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Post some detailed pics. The description of how to use these mouse pads as buffers is vague at best. Maybe some pics would clarify it.
View Quote

Oh, sure, I have nothing better to do with my evening...geez

Ok, get to try out the new digital camera.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok, 2 hours 15 minutes later, here is what we have:

[url]www.mousepadintobuffer.homestead.com[/url]

I hope this satisfies you DJbump!!!!!!!!!

Did anyone see the site?  Did it make sense?  DJ?????  come on, I put some work into it, at least give me your opinion.

Still have more buffers, anyone else?  Those that emailed yesterday they shipped today, those that emailed today, will go out tomorrow.  Post a note and let me know if they arrived.

Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm in.thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Still have more, any takers?

BTW, did anyone see the site?  Was it ok to understand?

[url]mousepadintobuffer.homestead.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#23]
very interesting, why didnt i think of that..

i have a new use for all those old mouse pads i have aquired over the years now, thanks  
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Excellent idea~!
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#26]
free cool
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#27]
mousepadtobuffer.com?  Gotta love it!  Thanx for the instructions.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Nothing like a do-it-yourself modification on your AR15 to make you feel like you accomplished something for the day !

Thanks for the freebie !
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#29]
[B]"thanks for the "buffers" i just got them and looks like they will work great,
thanks

tattoo"[/B]

No problem tatoo, glad they arrived.  I almost didn't see your message, was looking for an old string and just came across it.  

Anyone up for some buffers, I just checked my email for this weekend, and I have less requests than I have supplies at work.  Send me an email.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#30]
On another note, for those of you with collapsable stocks that have "bolt bounce" problems, I put a circular piece of mouse pad on my 16 car buffer and it completely solved that problem.

At the Texas Military Weapons Shoot yesterday the 16 purred like a cat all day without a single failure.

If you do make one, make sure that it is just slghtly smaller circumference than the existing buffer.  I just put mine in with crazy glue, holds just fine since it's always in contact with the back of the bolt carrier.

[B]NOTE[/B] to get your upper back on, you will need to remover both takedown pins and lower your upper to your lower with about 1/8" gap between the buffer and the back of the carrier.  Once down, then slide the upper back the 1/8" and push in your takedown pins.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Ticonderoga,

Received mine yesterday, now it's time for some fabricating. (yea I know, just a fancy word for cutting)[%(]

Thanks again!!!

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Hope ya got some left. It seems I may be a little late.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#33]
You have mail!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Last call before I close this out.  Still have TONS of these left.  Anyone want one, email me.  I'll put the offer out again at a later time as it's just as much work to do 1 as it is to do 20.  So see how many orders you can all send me in the next 48 hours...
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 4:50:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Got 'em.  Nice buffer material.  I'm even using one for a mousepad!!!  

Thanks,
Norm
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:11:51 AM EDT
[#36]
maybe im lost but, where exactly does it go on an ar 15?    [>:/]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:34:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
since it's always in contact with the back of the bolt carrier........
View Quote

Question: Since the carrier is always in contact with the buffer, isn't the "slam" felt when the buffer hits the bottom of the buffer tube?? Would this still work well if the mousepad buffer were to be placed at the back of the buffer tube?? That way, you could take down and re-assemble the weapon as usual?? I am not sure, just curious. What do you think??

DK [:D]

By the way, thanks for the information........
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#38]
All of my ARs and M-16 have a rubber buffer built into the back of the buffer, hence no need for me to put a mousepad buffer into those guns, except for the M-16.

For the 16 I was having a "bolt bounce" problem caused by a buffer that was too light.  I had heard that by padding the back of the carrier or the front of the buffer, it would eliminate the "bounce" when the bolt and carrier lock up.  On a full length stock, the heavier buffer keeps the bolt and carrier from bouncing back out of battery that you can experience with a Car buffer.  With the padding between the buffer and the carrier, it can eliminate this.  Much like dropping a steel ball bearing on concrete, if it's rubber coated it will bounce less.  

I tried this and it completely eliminated my "bolt bounce" problem.  

SO, the answer to your question is:

If you have a car stock and get the "bolt bounce" phenomenon, padding the front of your existing buffer can fix this.

If you have an existing buffer with a rubber back, you don't need one.

If you have an all metal buffer, cut one or two pieces of mousepad (just slightly larger in diameter than the inside of your buffer tube) and push them to the back of your buffer tube.  This will eliminate the metal to metal contact between the existing buffer and the back of the buffer tube.

Last call, get'cher orders in.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#39]
I have sent you an email.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:26:46 AM EDT
[#40]
You've Got Mail   [dracula]

Lwolfnky1
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:19:00 AM EDT
[#41]
While shooting some steel cased ammo, I noticed a bit of hammering on my deflector, a 1cmX1/2cm piece of buffer material attatched with some crazy glue fixed this.

I'll post a pic this weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top