User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 4:52:58 AM EDT
Names Of Deputies Who Shot Narcotics Suspect Released
Suspect Allegedly Rammed Deputies With Vehicle

POSTED: 11:51 p.m. PDT September 13, 2004
UPDATED: 11:53 p.m. PDT September 13, 2004

Story by nbcsandiego.com

SAN DIEGO -- The names of two sheriff's deputies who shot a narcotics suspect as he allegedly used a pickup truck to try to run them down on a North County roadside, were released by Authorities Monday.

Detectives Gregory Basham and Michael Bowles allegedly wounded Jason A. Scaparo, 27, of San Marcos in the 1900 block of Commercial Street in Escondido on Friday afternoon, police said.

Basham and Bowles had been staking out Scaparo, looking for a chance to serve him with a warrant.

When Scaparo pulled over in front of a business in a an alleged stolen pickup truck he was driving, deputies pulled in behind him.

After the suspect noticed the officers, he allegedly repeatedly rammed the unmarked sheriff's vehicle Bowles was in, prompting the detectives to open fire
, Escondido police Lt. David Mankin said.

Scaparo suffered non-life-threatening wounds and was taken to a local hospital, the lieutenant said.

Scaparo was still in the hospital Monday under guard. An arraignment on charges of attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon is pending, Mankin added.

Alleged stolen pickup? Either it's stolen or it's not. When the owners signs the CHP180, its stolen.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:04:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Wait!  I thought the sensible thing to do when confronted by raging man in car attacking you was to run!  Those officers should have driven away and called the police.  

You have to preface everything with 'allegedly' now don't you know.   Even if the truck IS stolen and the police cruiser IS bashed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:09:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Wait!  I thought the sensible thing to do when confronted by raging man in car attacking you was to run!  Those officers should have driven away and called the police.  

You have to preface everything with 'allegedly' now don't you know.   Even if the truck IS stolen and the police cruiser IS bashed.

Just like if you walked up and shot a womn in the head with 15 people watching, and you sit down next to the body to wait for the police, and the police pick you up and take you to jail... the news will STILL report that you "allegedly shot Mrs. Splatter".
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:12:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just like if you walked up and shot a womn in the head with 15 people watching, and you sit down next to the body to wait for the police, and the police pick you up and take you to jail... the news will STILL report that you "allegedly shot Mrs. Splatter".

Yup...you must use "allegedly" until the person is convicted in a court of law of the crime.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:12:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
After the suspect noticed the officers, he allegedly repeatedly rammed the unmarked sheriff's vehicle Bowles was in, prompting the detectives to open fire, Escondido police Lt. David Mankin said.

<Dark Helmet>  KEEP FIRING ASSHOLES </Dark Helmet>  Hell, if you rammed my truck with me in it, you might get some 230 coming your way.

Scaparo suffered non-life-threatening wounds and was taken to a local hospital, the lieutenant said.

Shot placement, men.

Alleged stolen pickup? Either it's stolen or it's not. When the owners signs the CHP180, its stolen.

What's your point?  They rammed a police car.  Anyone with any common sense know that is a form of suicide here in the US.  My buddy is a cop.  If he shot someone for that and only wounded him, I would immediately take him to the range for retraining.  AIM CENTER MASS.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup...you must use "allegedly" until the person is convicted in a court of law of the crime.

Yeah, that whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing is a pain in the ass.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#6]
is the dog ok?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Those deputies just put him on easy street.  Once wounded it is only a matter of finding the right lawyer, suing everyone from the gun-maker to the ammo-maker to the deputies and the County.  Then collect the fat settlement check.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing is a pain in the ass.  

It's also meaningless outside the judicial system. Neither the newspaper, the victim, nor a net board kibitzer has any obligation to say "allegedly," or to presume the guy innocent.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#9]
On a related note, did you guys see that latest Reno 911 where Junior and Dangle try to serve papers on that guy? hahaha
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Why is this idiot still breathing?  A truck is a weapon!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
After the suspect noticed the officers, he allegedly repeatedly rammed the unmarked sheriff's vehicle Bowles was in, prompting the detectives to open fire, Escondido police Lt. David Mankin said.

<Dark Helmet>  KEEP FIRING ASSHOLES </Dark Helmet>  Hell, if you rammed my truck with me in it, you might get some 230 coming your way.

Shot placement, men.

What's your point?  They rammed a police car.  Anyone with any common sense know that is a form of suicide here in the US.  My buddy is a cop.  If he shot someone for that and only wounded him, I would immediately take him to the range for retraining.  AIM CENTER MASS.

Auto glass plays hell with bullets.  Strips the jackets and slows them way down.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shot placement, men.

Auto glass plays hell with bullets.  Strips the jackets and slows them way down.

Good point.  But the real point is, if you use a vehicle as a weapon, you are wielding a deadly weapon.  If you ram a COP car and they shoot you, you had better not have a surprised look on your face.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top