Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2004 7:48:05 PM EDT
It's too bad somebody's death had to cause it, but at least the fat bastard won't pollute the air near my home.

Kennedy won't campaign for Kerry in our area after all

NANTICOKE: The death of Mary Jo Kopechne comes up as a possible reason.

By BRETT MARCY

[email protected]

First, Ted was coming. Now, he's not.

U.S. Sen. Edward Kennedy will stump for presidential candidate John Kerry in Harrisburg and perhaps Pittsburgh tomorrow, but he won't swing through Northeastern Pennsylvania.

A hinted stop in Nanticoke by the liberal Massachusetts Democrat is off the itinerary, according to Kennedy's spokesman.

On Wednesday, local officials heard Kennedy would be in the area to campaign for Kerry, the other Massachusetts senator. By midday, the visit had fizzled.

"Senator Kennedy will not be in Northeastern Pennsylvania on Friday," said Kerry campaign spokesman Mark Nevins, confirming a local visit had been discussed, but not finalized.

Carole Lewis, director of the Luzerne County Area Agency on Aging, said she received a phone call Wednesday morning from someone asking permission for Kennedy to visit the Nanticoke Senior Center to discuss senior health care issues.

"We were just asked if he could come and speak about it, because he is a sitting official and health care is something our seniors really care about," Lewis said. "But it wasn't long after that when someone called back and said that it had been canceled."

Also, one source close to the Kerry campaign said the Kennedy visit to Nanticoke was a "done deal" as of Tuesday night.

The source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the event was canceled by early Wednesday, soon after news reports of the visit surfaced.

Although no reason has been given for the cancellation, it's possible that Kennedy's ties to the area still haunt him.

Kennedy became forever entwined with the Wyoming Valley on July 18, 1969, when the car he was driving plunged off Dike Bridge into a pond on Chappaquiddick Island, Mass. His passenger, 28-year-old Mary Jo Kopechne, a Forty Fort native and Democratic campaign worker, drowned.

Those memories stick with area residents, said one source.

"I think people who were Kerry supporters told the campaign that they were crazy to bring Kennedy here. If he comes, it's going to be a negative, black mark for Kerry."

Kerry's sister, Peggy Kerry, will visit Hanover Township on Sunday as an attendee of Luzerne County District Attorney David Lupas' annual Fall Gathering at the Catholic War Veterans Grove

Har har you tubby bitch. Hope it haunts you forever.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Guns don't kill people

Ted Kennedy does
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Ted Kennedy, Swift-boat commander and naval hero of Chappaquiddick .
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Ted Kennedy, Swift-boatCAR commander and naval hero of Chappaquiddick .

Another Dummycrat Loser  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#4]
In his heart of hearts, Teddy knows this will be his legacy. Not as an older brother shot down in a bomber in WW II, not as a youthful President who brought hope to his party, and not as a civil rights crusader. He'll be remembered as a bloated, drunken, coward, who left a young girl to die so he could save his sorry fat butt to run in another campaign. He knows this, and he knows most of America knows it too. He's a disgrace as a man.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:30:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
In his heart of hearts, Teddy knows this will be his legacy. Not as an older brother shot down in a bomber in WW II, not as a youthful President who brought hope to his party, and not as a civil rights crusader. He'll be remembered as a bloated, drunken, coward, who left a young girl to die so he could save his sorry fat butt to run in another campaign. He knows this, and he knows most of America knows it too. He's a disgrace as a man.

If he had any courage, and insight into his hitherto miserable, wasted life, and his family's legacy, he would have gone back to the car, rescued Mary Jo, resuscitated her, told her he was sorry, left her on the beach, then dived back into the car, and drowned himself.

That would have been, his Godawful politics aside, the manliest thing he ever could have done.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#6]
The PC bullshit never ends:

"Kennedy became forever entwined with the Wyoming Valley on July 18, 1969, when the car he was driving plunged off Dike Bridge into a pond on Chappaquiddick Island, Mass. His passenger, 28-year-old Mary Jo Kopechne, a Forty Fort native and Democratic campaign worker, drowned."

I love the way they phrase that.  How about "he plunged the car he was driving off Dike Bridge"?  The way they phrase it you'd think it was some random malfunction with the car - hey I know, maybe the car was possessed at the time?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yet he still holds an elected office.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

"Kennedy became forever entwined with the Wyoming Valley on July 18, 1969, when the car he was driving plunged off Dike Bridge into a pond on Chappaquiddick Island, Mass. His passenger, 28-year-old Mary Jo Kopechne, a Forty Fort native and Democratic campaign worker, drowned."

I love the way they phrase that.  How about "he plunged the car he was driving off Dike Bridge"?  The way they phrase it you'd think it was some random malfunction with the car - hey I know, maybe the car was possessed at the time?

The Times Leader is a pretty fucking useless paper, but they were the only ones with the story.

Personally I hope that everybody who works there happens to be in the building one day, and a mine shaft gives way beneath the building. The deep mine shaft.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

How about, "when the drunken Kennedy drove the car of the Dike Bridge, drowning his passenger, while he swam to safety and ran away to find his lawyers?"
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Why wasn't he down at the Cape watching the men on the moon , that would have made a good photo for his next campaign.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yet he still holds an elected office.

Massachusetts is a one-party state. Demorat.

The old farts vote for him for SS and meds money; the freaks vote for him because he is ueber-liberal and is for giving more welfare and educ. money to bums.

The Irish vote for him because he's Irish and they remember how it used to be. Well, how they are told how it used to be.

The gays all vote for him because he is pro-gay. The women with comfortable shoes vote for him because he is pro-gay and pro-woman, and thinks they should get money for being both.

Unions vote for him because he is perceived as being the friend of the working man, although he's never done an honest day's work in his life, and he knows it. Anybody who is poor or working class votes for him because he believes in sticking it to The Man with higher taxes. Because of the EIC, in effect, poor people do not pay income taxes anyway, so it's no real skin off their noses.

Blacks and other ethnics vote for him....why? Because he's Democrat and brings home money and preference to them.

The environmentalists love him because he is for more money to green projects (Big Dig does not count, but unions love the BD because it brings home the bacon- and PENSIONS!)

Teachers and professors love him because he brings home the bacon for their salaries and pensions too. He is also anti-Christianity, despite his perfunctory attendance at Mass every few months or years- if he even still does. So, the teachers like him for that reason, too.

Many people in MA, mostly eastern MA, just think there should be a Kennedy in office. Any Kennedy. They may be looking at Teddy, but they see JFK or RFK in him.

Believe it or not, a lot of people feel sorry for Teddy because of Chappaquiddick....."He's paid his penance, and still does," some little old lady told me years ago.

In short, in a corrupt highly taxed and bureaucratic state like Massachusetts, which has few untouched areas left that are not developed or under state control, everybody has each other's hands in each others' pockets. The belief is that the gravy train will only continue to roll if the tax game and strangulatory regulation keep up. In short everybody has pretty much given up and said, "Screw it- where's my share?"

This is the oddly rational vote (given the situation). Then there is the irrational. I have discussed both above.

Teddy keeps the train rolling. As to whether the train is going to permanently come off the rails at some point, is immaterial. He'll just propose more taxes and rules on the rich. And when they don't pony up, he'll still have somebody to blame for MA's and America's troubles.

That's why he's still in office.

"An' whin ah retuhrrned, May-ree Joe an the cah wuh gawn...."
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#12]
"Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun."
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Had to post it again
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#14]
HAHA oh man, that is great!  I can't wait to get out if this evil commiewealth
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Times Leader is a pretty fucking useless paper, but they were the only ones with the story.

Personally I hope that everybody who works there happens to be in the building one day, and a mine shaft gives way beneath the building. The deep mine shaft.

Well I'm glad somebody in the media hasn't forgotten that episode.  Isn't the other paper up there named the People's Voice or something similar?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Isn't the other paper up there named the People's Voice or something similar?

Citizen's Voice, but close enough. Founded by guys that bailed from the Leader during a strike, IIRC.

They're pretty fucking useless too, but slightly less so.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#18]
That fat boozer & his cars have killed more people than my privately owned guns have!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top