Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 7:40:13 PM EDT
When a dog growls at you, do you growl back?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope I either taze him or shoot.

I do give a warning shot though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, 100% yes with my 1 vote.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I call up my Leo friends and they shot it for me.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#4]
All dogs but my own get quiet after I say QUIET!!!.  Dunno why my dogs wont though.  *searches for a shrugging smiley in vain*

And yes, I do growl back.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I let the fucker know who's in charge.

Ain't had a problem.

If I did, well, better them than me.

SG

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#6]
If they're small I sometimes do that to mess with them. Larger dogs I don't do that with, but have been known to give them a nice kick in the throat/under the jaw. They don't seem to like their teeth slamming together that hard.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#7]
If you plan on biting them after they bite you, then 'yes.'

If you talk the talk, then be prepared to walk the walk.

I checked 'Yes' by the way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I tell 'em to STFU!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I call up my Leo friends and they shot it for me.

Sgatr15

I need friends like that.

I let the car growl at them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There is an excellent book--I think the title is Understanding Canine Behavior, and I think the author is Dr. Michael Fox (not that one)--and it goes into great detail regarding dog behavior and what they are capable of understanding.  Bottom line--when people say "He/she thinks she's a people" they are completely FOS.  The dog thinks YOU and I are dogs--and members of their "pack."  You MUST establish and show yourself to be the "alpha dog" in order to maintain control.  This is true of your wife and children too--every human must be dominant over the dog--or they will get snapped at, and possibly bitten.  If a dog growls at you--even if it's not your dog--you can put a quick end to it by grabbing it by the back of the neck, pushing it harshly to the ground, and put your mouth near there, teeth bared, snarling LOUDLY (like a dog).  This is a harmless, but strong display of dominance.  It is important to do this when the dog is a pup, in order to teach it its place in the "pack."  It will flip onto its back (or crouch/cower) and (likely) tinkle on itself.  This is the proper show of submission.  If you watch a mother dog, this is how she "spanks" or corrects her pups.  They respond immediately and absolutely.  You must be the "dominant bitch/mother" with your pup--and you won't have problems later.  It is important not to strike the dog, "rub its nose in its mess" or use other human-oriented discipline--they are not capable of understanding those things.  With adult dogs, you run a small risk of the dog refusing to submit, and actually getting into a "dog fight" with you.  If you have a good grasp of its neck, you can control it easily without being bitten, but DO NOT let go.  Snarl louder, and use your other hand to get it by the throat and choke it until it submits.  It's not nearly as violent as it sounds, and is harmless to the dog.  You will be friends after you are done.  

+1
Works for cats as well. When my cat gets uppity I bare my teeth and stare at her while holding her by the back of the neck and she gets the message quick.
I dont make cat noises.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is an excellent book--I think the title is Understanding Canine Behavior, and I think the author is Dr. Michael Fox (not that one)--and it goes into great detail regarding dog behavior and what they are capable of understanding.  Bottom line--when people say "He/she thinks she's a people" they are completely FOS.  The dog thinks YOU and I are dogs--and members of their "pack."  You MUST establish and show yourself to be the "alpha dog" in order to maintain control.  This is true of your wife and children too--every human must be dominant over the dog--or they will get snapped at, and possibly bitten.  If a dog growls at you--even if it's not your dog--you can put a quick end to it by grabbing it by the back of the neck, pushing it harshly to the ground, and put your mouth near there, teeth bared, snarling LOUDLY (like a dog).  This is a harmless, but strong display of dominance.  It is important to do this when the dog is a pup, in order to teach it its place in the "pack."  It will flip onto its back (or crouch/cower) and (likely) tinkle on itself.  This is the proper show of submission.  If you watch a mother dog, this is how she "spanks" or corrects her pups.  They respond immediately and absolutely.  You must be the "dominant bitch/mother" with your pup--and you won't have problems later.  It is important not to strike the dog, "rub its nose in its mess" or use other human-oriented discipline--they are not capable of understanding those things.  With adult dogs, you run a small risk of the dog refusing to submit, and actually getting into a "dog fight" with you.  If you have a good grasp of its neck, you can control it easily without being bitten, but DO NOT let go.  Snarl louder, and use your other hand to get it by the throat and choke it until it submits.  It's not nearly as violent as it sounds, and is harmless to the dog.  You will be friends after you are done.  

+1
Works for cats as well. When my cat gets uppity I bare my teeth and stare at her while holding her by the back of the neck and she gets the message quick.
I dont make cat noises.

Its kind of hard to make cat noises and be alpha dog

- BG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top