Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 7:33:48 PM EDT
That's right boys.  You'd think an Air Force officer could get paid on the 1st & 15th, right?  Wrong.

Keep in mind that I've got bills that automatically deduct from my checking on the 15th, more than $500 worth.  And I'm married with a kid, both of which need food.

The morning of the 15th comes around.  I check the bank account.  There's no deposit and I'm running low on cash.  Great.  So at 0700 when I get to work I fire off an e-mail to the one person I know can solve the problem as he prepares my manual payments.  More than that I'm standing there at 0830 when the finance office opens for business.

Me:  Right...I didn't get paid this morning.  Where's my money?

civilian:  You didn't get paid?

Me:  No, where's Airman xxxxxxx.  He's handling my manual payments.

civilian:  Hold on, I'll go ask him.

Me:  Right.

civilian comes back:  Airman xxxxxx is terribly sorry, but you won't be getting paid until tomorrow.  Have a nice day.

Me:  Thanks for the heads-up

Sooo, the words "terribly sorry" don't pay the bills, but one day late. Not such a big deal.

The morning of the 16th comes around.  I check the bank account.  There's no deposit and I'm running even lower on cash.  So at 0700 when I get to work I again fire off an e-mail to the Airman xxxxxxx.  He calls me back a little later.

Airman xxxxxxxx:  Sir, I'm not really sure why you didn't get paid today.  I just called the office that processes the payments and they said they paid it yesterday.  When's the last time you checked with your bank?

Me:  I just refreshed the webpage for my account.  No new deposits as of right now.  What's the deal?

Airman:  Not sure sure.  [finance jargon]adsfjladskfj;dlsakfj;dlkfj;ldfj[/finance jargon]  I'll call them back and get more details, then I'll call you back.

Me:  Okay, I'll call my bank and see if they have anything pending.

Soooo, I call my bank.  They say there are no deposits pending.  I say thanks

Me:  Good.

Airman:  Not really good sir.  Apparently the person who submitted the payment to your bank entered the amount you should be getting paid where the should have entered the account number.  We have two options:  (1) Resubmit your EFT payment (2) Cut you a check today

Me:  Okay, well I'm mostly concerned with getting the money into my account so I can pay my bills.  Since my bank is USAA I can't exactly just take the check to the bank as the closest place I could deposit is outside of Sacramento.  So just reprocess the EFT.

Airman:  Not so easy sir.  I legally have to wait until we receive a rejected payment notice before I can process another EFT payment.  That could happen this evening and the EFT woulud hit Tuesday morning.

Me:  Okay, then just cut me a check this afternoon and I'll find some way to deposit it.

Airman:  Well sir, that probably can't happen today either as the vault door is stuck closed and nobody can get in there.  We've called a locksmith but he won't be here until Friday at best, so you would't actually get a check until Monday.

Me:  Fine, just reprocess the EFT then.  And I sincerely appreciate you going the extra mile to help get me paid.

Airman:  Yes sir, again I'm very sorry.

So, as an officer I just have to take it and smile.

Those are your tax dollars at work.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel real bad for you

ETA your headline doesnt really match your post
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I feel real bad for you

ETA your headline doesnt really match your post

The ones who I feel very badly for are the two-stripers who this happens to.  I had two stripes a long time ago and I know how much every dollar counts.

ETA, okay, I'll revise it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder what type of service you would have gotten as an enlisted man?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wonder what type of service you would have gotten as an enlisted man?

Unfortunately I think you know the answer to that question.

My main edge here is that I know who to sweet talk to get results.  To a junior enlisted type it's just "THEY didn't pay me".  A two striper would gripe to his boss, who would gripe to his boss, and it might get up to the first sergeant.  And if he's got a good first sergeant, well maybe he'd get paid a week later than me.  That's just junk.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#5]
"We're from the Government, and we're here to help."

Thanks very much for your service. Wish they paid you in a more timely fashion.

SG
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Call you uncle, see what he can do.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
"We're from the Government, and we're here to help."

Thanks very much for your service. Wish they paid you in a more timely fashion.

SG

It's more difficult to focus on the job when things like this happen.  And I think that's a real shame, especially at this time of the year.  I'm a buyer now and the end of the FY is very busy.  Too busy for me to deal with nonsense.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Call you uncle, see what he can do.

I'm sorry, but I don't know which uncle you are talking about.

Which reminds me of another story involving a friend of mine and his USMC Colonel uncle.  My buddy risked losing his Euro-Nato Joint Pilot Training slot for a phantom blood pressure issue, but the funny thing is that the hospital paid no attention to his case.  Time was running out.  The Marine paid a visit to the hospital.  As the story goes, it was one of those things a person would even feel comfortable witnessing at a distance.  He got his slot back shortly thereafter.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I can feel your pain.
If they would have overpaid you, it would have taken < 5 minutes to get the money out of your bank account.

Fritz   - still waiting on a travel claim check from 1986

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, its a PITA for me too, as a reservist on 17 weeks AD orders. I don't fall under normal USAR pay regs, but not under AD and have to deal with the finance civilians here on post who are not nearly as familiar with  reserve pay issues as they are AD.

It was a full 5 weeks after went on AD before my first deposit.

That, and it still irritates me that as a reservist I don't get any money for housing since I won't be on this particular order for over 140 days. I guess they expect us to move out of our homes while we are on TDY.

The fact that may house flooded and my fiance and I lost almost everything we owned last week and I had to take emergency leave just to salvage what little we could and get her moved into a new place makes that little issue grate on me even worse.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I can feel your pain.
If they would have overpaid you, it would have taken < 5 minutes to get the money out of your bank account.

Fritz   - still waiting on a travel claim check from 1986

Actually, when I got out 3 years ago I got E-5 pay for 3 months.  So I just stuck the money in a savings account and turned a few cents on interest.  I called Denver every two weeks and told them to stop paying me.  They told me that I'd get paid for the three years I had left of college until I came back on active duty.  Eventually I gave up and they finally stopped paying me and sent me a bill!  I just cut them a check and hoped that would be the end of it.  And it was.

And your travel voucher from 1986.... YEAH RIGHT!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yeah, its a PITA for me too, as a reservist on 17 weeks AD orders. I don't fall under normal USAR pay regs, but not under AD and have to deal with the finance civilians here on post who are not nearly as familiar with  reserve pay issues as they are AD.

It was a full 5 weeks after went on AD before my first deposit.

That, and it still irritates me that as a reservist I don't get any money for housing since I won't be on this particular order for over 140 days. I guess they expect us to move out of our homes while we are on TDY.

The fact that may house flooded and my fiance and I lost almost everything we owned last week and I had to take emergency leave just to salvage what little we could and get her moved into a new place makes that little issue grate on me even worse.

That's just a real headache.  No matter how badly my woes are, somebody else can top me.  So in that respect I'm just very fortunate.  My heart goes out to you brother.  I hope you had renter's insurance!!  And I hope your girl has income.  And I hope your people supported you in your time of need.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#13]
that sucks balls, but you should have atleast 2 months wages saved for shit like this. my brother is a SS in the army and he has loaned money to his men many times. maybe you could ask your superior officer for some help.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#14]
We had renters insurance, but sadly it doesn't cover flood damge! But our friends and family, and her employer have been great.

In the end, its just stuff. We are alive, healthy, and have what matters!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
that sucks balls, but you should have atleast 2 months wages saved for shit like this. my brother is a SS in the army and he has loaned money to his men many times. maybe you could ask your superior officer for some help.

I had enough to take care of it, thats no problem, but its just irritating as all get out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#16]
And Kerry wants the same Government to handle your healthcare ladies and gentlemen, we are all DEAD if that happens!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#17]
That sucks, I have just been waiting 3 months on a raise myself.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Next time IM me and I'll have one of my Sacramento friends run it out to USAA for you.

CW
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Next time IM me and I'll have one of my Sacramento friends run it out to USAA for you.

CW

The thing is that USAA isn't actually anywhere.  Apparently there's a system where certain banks will accept deposits on the behalf of any bank that is part of some organization.

Thankfully I've only mailed checks in when necessary.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Screw the gllitch. I'm wondering why an Air Force Officer / Family man is living paycheck to paycheck. wtf? time to tighten the belt a little bit and get your finances under control.
And don't whinge about 'low pay in the military'. My pop was a Navy man / Officer during the Cold War / Vietnam, and I put a tour in with the Marines. I know all about pissant military pay and PB&J sandwiches every day.
You're a grown-up fer F's sake, and an Officer & a Gentleman by act of Congress. Pull your head out. Sir.

/Sgt Ray.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#21]
You should send some transfer papers to Minot for him, and tell him that it is not a mistake
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Screw the gllitch. I'm wondering why an Air Force Officer / Family man is living paycheck to paycheck. wtf? time to tighten the belt a little bit and get your finances under control.
And don't whinge about 'low pay in the military'. My pop was a Navy man / Officer during the Cold War / Vietnam, and I put a tour in with the Marines. I know all about pissant military pay and PB&J sandwiches every day.
You're a grown-up fer F's sake, and an Officer & a Gentleman by act of Congress. Pull your head out. Sir.

/Sgt Ray.

Is this supposed to justify their screwing it up?  And he never said he was living paycheck to paycheck.  He wasn't overdrawn.  And FYI, I would have been overdrawn, but not from "living paycheck to paycheck".  It would be because excess capital sitting in my checking account isn't earning me money, and it would take a few days to EFT money from my money market account.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

/Sgt Ray.

Guess what genius, the reason I'm receiving manual payment is because I'm an accession.  I came back in June 29th and I'm concentrating on paying down a high interest credit card that got me through the summer.  Why's that?  Because upon commissioning, you're on your own for 60 days until you are activated.  So during that time we had a baby and moved cross-country.

So maybe give me a couple of months to buckle down before thrashing me?

ETA:  And I never once whinged nor did I whine about the amount of pay.  I'm living on easy street.

If somebody says they're going to pay me on the 1st and 15th, then I damn well expect to see the money in my account.  Otherwise tell me not to count on it so I can plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Fortunately I have never had any serious problems with finance, but I've witnessed others encounter them. That's why I won't use the auto payment process that bill collecters offer.hug.gif
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

/Sgt Ray.

Is this supposed to justify their screwing it up?  And he never said he was living paycheck to paycheck.  He wasn't overdrawn.  And FYI, I would have been overdrawn, but not from "living paycheck to paycheck".  It would be because excess capital sitting in my checking account isn't earning me money, and it would take a few days to EFT money from my money market account.

Thanks for having my back, I was just about to go to bed when I noticed that little lovely.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Fortunately I have never had any serious problems with finance, but I've witnessed others encounter them. That's why I won't use the auto payment process that bill collecters offer.

Normally I wouldn't either.  But the loans that are automatically taken out are also through USAA and it is part of the agreement.  3.5% APR isn't bad for a car loan, so I agreed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fortunately I have never had any serious problems with finance, but I've witnessed others encounter them. That's why I won't use the auto payment process that bill collecters offer.hug.gif

Normally I wouldn't either.  But the loans that are automatically taken out are also through USAA and it is part of the agreement.  3.5% APR isn't bad for a car loan, so I agreed.

Point taken. I hope everything works out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:52:49 AM EDT
[#28]
When I got recalled for the First Gulf War it was for "90" days.  And at that time every body recalled had to get on direct payment, but it took a few cycles to get started so we got live checks in person.  Whcih is great if your overseas and Mom and the kids are back stateside.  I think we got one deposit and then started getting live checks again. WTF over??? "2 months before you separate you start getting live checks from the local PSD again. and it's 2 months till your 90 days are up."  We got  "extended" another 90 days and did the same thing again.

When I finally got separated 11 months later, I was flying home to arrive 3 July 1991 which obviously was the day before the 4th and the Friday before a 3 day week-end. Well I live in Orange County , CA and I needed to check in to and then process out through the PSD in San Diego.  Fly into LAX on the Friday before  a major holiday weekend or fly into San Diego and have the family meet me there, check in and get the heck out of Dodge.  Simple, San Diego and I'll still probably get home sooner than into LAX and I'll have the check-in accomplished.  So I requested San Diego, and people at the commandprobably the Master Chief who was trying to help,  changed the request to LAX which theoretically is closer. (Never having tried to get from the LAX area to Orange County on a regular late Friday afternoon he didn't know better.) So he did his best to fix it, and being the Senior Master Chief in both Yokohama and Yokosuka it got done almost immediately.  Then my Unit XO (who really needed a keeper) saw it and changed it back.  The Master Chief fixed it again and then somebody down at  the PSD in Yokohma fouled it up again and so on Friday morning 5 days before I flew, including a week-end I'm down at Yokosuka from Yokohama at about 1100 which was as soon as I could after getting off watch and giving the Command Brief to the Commodore at 0900. 9including changing out of uniform to ride the train and changing back because PSD required Uniform of the Day.  The Second Class" Sorry, Sir the person you need to see is on the first lunch shift (at least they made an effort to be open at lunch) could you come back at 1300?"    Back after chow and a disappointing session at the slots, I show at 1300.  Hmm the YNSA is the only one around.  "There is a Hail and Farewell and nobodies back yet.  And frankly Sir, I'm sorry, but I don't think anybody will be back this afternoon.  The 2nd class said he could probably take care of it Monday morning."  "Oh and who does the 2nd Class work for, PN1 xxx, who is at the party, "  "PNC and PNCS and the Lt."  "So really there isn't anybody but the CO or XO in your  office that can help me today?"  "XO is on emergency leave, so only the CO is here."  

"I thanked him, hell he tried to help, so it wasn't his fault he was the junior guy there and new." and on up to the COs office.  No Secretary (no proportional Selectric either)  KNOCK KNOCK "Pardon me Sir, I've got a problem, and unfortunately I'm out of time and there isn't anybody down below that that can help me today."

"I check out of Yokohama on Tuesday to fly out of Narita on Wednesday and they keep fouling up my flight arrangements and I can't get a hold of anybody to take a look at it today.  I've been trying by phone and came down to try ."  "Isn't  PN2 xxx,?'" "No, Sir, it's you and the SA today."  Asked for what I want flight wise, destination, he understood the traffic situation.  Told me to go on back to Yokohama and things should happen.

Back to my quarters  and the phone rang, the LT, "What's wrong I thought it was correct? " "Nope, still wrong, I keep requesting San Diego and it keeps getting changed to LA."  "But I signed off on San Diego, sorry LT, but I got the tickets in my hot little hand right now and they are for Los Angeles."  "Shit, don't go anywhere and I'll get them to you this afternnon before dinner."  "As soon as I hung up, the phone rang again.  The Senior Chief, "How can I fix things?"  "Work with LT yyy, I just got off the phone with her, she's got the bubble, I want to fly to San Diego."  "No problem, I'll get right on it'  Hang up and the phone rang again, The YNC.  I guess the CO found a few people that could help.

So my suggestion is to find a way to jump the chain to an O-5 or O-6 and let him find out there is a problem.  They usually are fat dumb and happy and don't know about the little problems and they love to be helpful, and can usually be counted on to jump in with abandon to be helpful.  They are especially helpful if it is a unique problem, if it's a system problem and everybody is honked, they probably know and have given up.

However, it is not always the solution.  I helped establish a new Reserve Unit.  The CO was an O-6, and coincidentally was the Senior Criminal Auditor for the IRS in Los Angeles.  It took almost a year and a half to get his pay caught up.

First thing every week-end we had briefings from all the Departments on things that had transpired.  We had two fresh caught young Ensigns out of the national and California  Maritime Academies who were in charge of reporting attendance and getting people paid.  He'ld call them up.  Ensigns,  I'm not getting paid yet.  I thought last month you said yopu had assurances it was fixed.  By the way, did I happen to mention I'm an IRS Auditor.  See what you can do.  Thanks."  They'ld zip out and a few minutes later, the Center CO, an O-3 and the Command  Master Chief would arrive.  "Tom, Master Chief, I'm still not getting paid.  Didn't you tell me lasst month it was fixed?  By the way, did I mention I'm an IRS Auditor? See what you can do.  Thanks" and they would spend hour trying to get it fixed.  I once heard the Master Chiefm "You know he works for the IRS?  I'm going to tell him your doing it on purpose."  Took a year and half to get it straaightened out.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:54:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Not to sound like a jerk, but here's a suggestion:

Next time you come into some extra money (like a tax refund, or maybe just start putting some away or forego your next gun purchase) sock some money away so you can pay 1 month's bills from your savings account so that these things don't affect you too much.

I never feel safe unless I have 6 months living expeneses in liquid reserves.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:39:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Hehehe, you got caught.
Not much you can do when two fuck-ups (pay-clerk/bank vault) are working against you.
The joys of manual pay!

After I retired I kept getting active duty paychecks (direct deposits) for 4 months, including comrats, flight pay, housing and a uniform allowance.
I didn't get retired pay as I was still on "active duty" because my DK (Navy pay clerk) messed up on my retirement papers and the command had not submitted my DD-214 (as they were on deployment to the gulf).

Between DFAS, BUPERS, Retired Pay in Kentucky, the USS Vinson and 4 months I got the mess straightened out.
The Wing Commodore asked me if I wanted to 'extend' instead of retiring.

If you are "hurting" you can always ask USAA to give you a quick loan or else ask one of the service groups (Navy Relief, etc) for a payday loan. Of course you probably already knew that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top