Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2004 7:08:26 PM EDT
Looking to buy, but don't want to go too much over 3 grand or so..
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#1]
No expensive tv owners, huh?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't go plasma, go LCD.  Just one mans opinion.  The Gateway LCD we have is very nice, having said that, "they" are making finer systems in HDTV that are LCD due to come out in the next year.  For what it is worth.

kentlik
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, that's what I heard. The LCD is much nicer, but cost significantly more than plasma as the size go up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Don't go plasma, go LCD.  Just one mans opinion.  The Gateway LCD we have is very nice, having said that, "they" are making finer systems in HDTV that are LCD due to come out in the next year.  For what it is worth.

kentlik

All true.. LCD's have better image quality, don't lose their gas charge, and don't burn in (a serious problem with the little network ID keys they put down in the corner). LCD is the emerging tech, plasma is a receding tech.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#5]
lcd's last 2.5x longer too though

3000 for an HD plasma?.....wont be a very good quality one

25,000-30,000 hr life span on plasma
50,000-75,000 hr life span on LCD's

most plasmas in the 3k price range are on EDTV(480p) not Hdtv(720p,1080i)
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
lcd's last 2.5x longer too though

3000 for an HD plasma?.....wont be a very good quality one

25,000-30,000 hr life span on plasma
50,000-75,000 hr life span on LCD's

most plasmas in the 3k price range are on EDTV(480p) not Hdtv(720p,1080i)

Well, I'm willing to spend what it takes to get something that is pretty nice. I want to stay in the 3-5 grand area, but I'll probably end up spending as much as 8-9 grand.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I own a Pioneer 52" Elite. Things to be weary of are when looking make sure the set (Either LCD or Plasma) is really 1080i.(1000 line) Many of these flat panels are 800 or less. What this means is that they are not real HD Devices. Even though they will present HD pictures there quality will be less on the screen!

The LCD Devices are cheaper to produce; though the better of them (1080i) will be more expensive. The strength of the LCD is they appear sharper. The reason being there screening is almost non-existent between presenting points. Images however can sometime get a pixelated look though when resolution being fed to them is not enough. Most LCD are not really 1000 line.

The Plasma screen does not have any of the draw backs of the LCD. Though they do have screening with seperate plasma points across the whole image. The production of Plasmas are more and many manufactures put the best screens in there higher end units (A Grade) their (B Grade in the Middle) and (C Grade in their lower). They rate these A,B,C Grades by the checking for the quality of the screens points and if the contrast/brightness and color response of them is strongest / best. The worst thing that can happen to a plasma is a non firing point; which will appear to be a black dot in the picture. This black point is a give away to a damaged unit!  Also Plasma screen can have images or text burn into the screen if the plasma is left on too long. (ie 12hrs)

From a performance point of view the Plasma is the one and I would suggest and there are many worthy ones just in your budget. There are some very nice inexpensive LCDs but the one I would suggest would be over your budget. (Since it would be the real thing)

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Save your coins and buy a DLP rear-projection set instead.  Much better picture quality and life.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Sony KF50WE610 which is one of the LCD projection systems. Went to Circuit city and looked at 3-4 different brands (Hitachi, samsung DLP, Pioneer) and I thought this was a pretty good 'compromise' unit.

It's not as thin as the 'hang on the wall' units but it's much, much smaller and lighter than a traditional rear-projection, it's hdtv capable (still need a HDTV tuner if that's something that's important to you) and the price point (online) was where I wanted it. For a 50" set in 16:9 format I thought it was a good deal at ~$2600.

There's no way I'd buy a plasma TV right now, the technology just isn't there if you're looking at price/performance. For me it came down to a DLP or LCD based set.

The picture quality is quite good once you've adjusted it (although I messed with the settings after I had everything setup and now can't seem to find the sweet-spot again), decent sound even without a home theater system and you can move it without needing a crane.

The online reviews talk about problems with early lamp-burnout but it hasn't happened to me yet and it's a user-replaceable warranty repair if it happens, so I wasn't too concerned.

I feel kinda stupid for spending over $2500 for a damned television but I was really tired of the 11 year old 24" mono Magnavox I bought at Sam's.

So far I'm pretty happy with the decision and the unit has performed well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Proud owner of a DLP.  It is very nice.  I looked at the rear projection LCDs.  Also nice, but went with the DLP instead.  If you can do without the flat t.v., then these are the way to go.  By the way, they are must thinner than normal rear projections.  Example, my 50+ inch t.v. is only about 12 inches deep.  

Having researched it all before buying, if you need flat, you need LCD.  Plasma is a waste of money.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Just to derail your thinking abit....

This is $3000 too:

So is this:

And this:

You're not seriously thinking of spending that on a TV, which will show you Dan Rather & Survivor in crisper detail when you can have more guns are you?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, let's see...I shoot guns MAYBE once a month. I watch tv almost every day.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Please let's not start the "do you know how many guns you can buy with that kind of money" nonesense again.

It's his money - let him spend it on whatever the hell he wants.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just to derail your thinking abit....

This is $3000 too:

www.tacproshootingcenter.com/pix/AI_05.jpg

Since you suggested this train of thought, scrap the AE, buy the real McCoy, there is a big difference.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:37:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

What do you think?

Maybe you should shoot your TV, then it would give you reason to get out and enjoy your guns more.

I'm just pulling your chain, don't get offended. I didn't know TV was such a staple of your personality.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:50:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Paging Paul, Paging Paul....
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:55:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No expensive tv owners, huh?

Problem is 3 grand is the real bottom o fthe barrel for these things, hard to recommend crap at that price point.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:05:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:09:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What do you think?

Shoot more, watch tv less.
The joy of shooting with family and friends is much better that riding the couch.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:13:14 AM EDT
[#21]
JVC's DILA rear projection TV in 50".  Killer.  Only 1280x720, but it's an LCoS system,  much better than LCD, no rainbows like DLP.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:14:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Too much for me right now ....

But I have read and did some research about it and LCD is the way to go.  Don't go plasma.

I would wait for a while and when the price drops down....I will get one.  Meantime, My Sony XBR will have to do.

Edited to add:  Plasma tend to leave residues from previous images that appeared on the screen therefore it is not as clear and as sharp as the LCD.  Plus the LCD have better and more color shades than the plasma.  I have right now a Flat Screen LCD computer display that I can watch DVD on occasion and it is quite nice.  The LCD TV screen had a lots more resolution than the Computer screen and thus give you a more sharper image.  Specially the HDTV ones. Wow.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top