Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 6:55:13 PM EDT
Do any of you geel regrets about not selling your receiver for a grand before the ban dropped?  My local gun store guy is pretty mad about not being able sell his preban glock mags and etc...  How do you guys feel?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally, don't give a crap. Mine is the only rifle I have, and the only rifle I want.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got an SP1 that I picked up back in the spring for a little less than $1,100 - I don't regret getting it one bit since I doubt Colt will be making SP1's again anytime soon (or any rifle with assault-weapon features).  I am glad that I didn't buy a "blue label" rifle, though.   The value on those will drop some (except in states with the permanent AWB).
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#4]
well, i only bought 1 pre ban rifle after the ban---paid 1100 for it.  i was looking in the for sale threads (LE) colts and they are selling for around 1100 too---so, i don't feel too bad since i have been shooting mine for the last 2 years.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I shot someone's preban once.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#6]
hopefully they feel fantastic.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#7]
i feel fine.  i just traded my lower for 2 bushmaster lowers to someone in CT.  i also sold a cast dpms lower last year for $650.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I buy my stuff to shoot and not as an investment.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm good.

AB
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#10]
The only part of this whole subject that ticks me off is the money I will be spending on my post-ban rifles to get flash suppressors installed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I sold a Colt preban AR lower for $1,000 and used the money to build 2 postban rifles (ahem).
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I feel all tingley.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#13]
As for dealers - hey, business gamble......

As for an individual like myself, can't make fun of a guy for having a fire extinguisher just because there wasn't a fire.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Do any of you geel regrets about not selling your receiver for a grand before the ban dropped?  My local gun store guy is pretty mad about not being able sell his preban glock mags and etc...  How do you guys feel?  

I feel great!

I have a bunch of prebans, both pre '89 and '94.  I'm not in this for money.  If you are, you should check your motivation.  Sounds like if you were an NFA owner, you'd be one who wanted to keep the database sealed to keep the NFA club exclusive.  Buying a preban during the ban meant your rifle was fully configurable in the present as well as being a hedge against a permanent ban.  It didn't show up, the hedge was not needed, but it was definately worth it.  Besides, in terms of ARs, the price difference between a pre and post wasn't that significant as to make it a the possibility of sunset a real factor in the purchase.  

I always get a kick out of arfcommers playing cheapskate then talking about their moded jeeps, choppers, Range Rovers, etc...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#15]
... Couldn't be happier about the sunset. My two prebans devalued overnight this week and I raised a toast the minute they did.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I have made some money and lost some money on preban stuff.  Lost a LOT more money driving a new car off the lot

I do find it funny all the guys who said for the last 10 years that pre ban features were no big deal are rushing to buy all the banned goodies now.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the look of the SP1 and I got to use it for a year before the AWB ended so I still would have made the purchase again.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Warm and fuzzy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I do find it funny all the guys who said for the last 10 years that pre ban features were no big deal are rushing to buy all the banned goodies now.

Good call...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I love it my post bans they are now prebans my preban is going to ny to help out a ny guy . never payed that much for my ar 15 mag because i look in the old bargan bin mags or miss marked mags and rebuild them and throw them in a box and never look bad the ban will come back in 3months to 4 year from now on never looking back buy more so when we do fight we will have them to do so
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a pre-ban M4gery and a pre-ban Polytech underfolder AK.

I was tickled pink when their values plummeted after the sunset (well, the M4 did, anyway....).

I value my freedoms more than the value of my gun collection. I wish there were so many guns out there that I couldn't GIVE mine away.

That said, I'm daned happy I kept them. LOVE the damned things!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have 2 pre-94 AR's. 1 is a Colt I bought for $400 and a Glock 21 and the other is a never fired Sendra, originally sent from Sendra to John Ross from whom I bought it from so that is a gun I'll never sell....I have a gun "Henry Bowman" owned.

My only preban is a Henry Bowman as well. I shoot mine though, good thing too because it wasnt a runner.

ETA: Mine is a keeper as well. Hasnt lost a cent in value to me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good call...

I don't know man . For the most part I don't need any of that stuff . I sure as hell don't need to spend an extra grand to get it . But now I can , and I can get it at a reasonable price . Shouldn't I do my part to say FUCK YOU!!!! to the gun grabbers?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#24]
My older brother just squeked in the purchase of a Colt  ar15a2 pre ban before 1994 passage, he never fired it, the value went ballistic later when i asked him how he felt about it going back to it's original market value and loss of hundreds of dollars in value he just said and i quote:

"I don't care if it means people can buy what they damn well please again!" He works for Grice Gunshop Clearfield Pa. The guy With "Brick" on his shirt at the black powder counter, stop in and say hi!

Another guy wasn't so impressed when he tried to sell his used Olympic M-4 gery at the local shop and couldn't get anything over $400 for it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
...  How do you guys feel?  

All warm and fuzzy inside....
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I feel really good about having a preban but I feel even better about not obeying the AWB in the first damn place.  All my postbans had preban features anyway so no need to change anything.  

I am kinda sad that I didn't really gain anything on September 13th as far as a FH a Col. stock or a bayo lug.  I have to keep reminding myself that I did gain some freedom and now I can also buy standard cap pistol mags for a normal price.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I sold all my prebans during the ban. I also, sold over 100 USGI mags, a BetaC and MGW mag all for significant profit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Just fuckin peachy
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Most of my "prebans" were bought before the term PreBan was invented. None were bought as investments. They were bought because I wanted them. I don't sell my guns.

The difference in selling price between pre and post was never enough to rationalize the "importance" (or lack of) that the two camps seemed to obsess over.

And now it's a moot point...

(except for the waycool unobtainum imports)
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Do any of you geel regrets about not selling your receiver for a grand before the ban dropped?

No regrets because I sold mine 2 years ago when the Republicans carried the House again.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good call...

PPl. only want what they couldn't have...if someone can tell me why they need a bayonet lug I'll be surprised...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I solf ALL my pre bans late last year and early this year.  Sure I took a chance, but it has payed huge dividends!  I miss a few of the rifles like my Hebrew marked UZI's.  But it was a good move in the end.

What I am most happy of is never buying a stupid Beta C.  I was always amazed at friends that dropped 599 on that thing.  How utterly silly.  Even at 215 or so now, it's waaayyyyy over priced.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I still enjoy my SP2. I love the way it reads AR15-A2...
However, I hate that damn large pivot pin. I am going to buy a no-ban lower just to have normal take down pins.
Off to the Shows~~
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#34]
My 3 were so inexpensive,  I really haven't thought twice about it.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought all my "preban worthy" rifles and accessories before the ban.

Thought about selling for a profit,but I'm not really into it for money and I wanted to keep the stuff I have.

I never made any money,but I never could bring myself to pay the outrageous prices people were asking on these things during the ban either,soo...... I'm even

Guess that means I don't really give a shit
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I feel good because all my "COLT" AR's say AR15 on them
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Free. I feel free.

Freedom is worth ANY price.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#38]

I feel great. I had plenty of chances to sell my AR and CAR-15 Colts, Bushy's, PWA's etc but  no chance I'd do that.
And I don't care that the market price dropped a bit. If the ban had been renewed and my AR's were still "prebans" I would feel a lot worse.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top