Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 5:07:59 PM EDT
How much do you guys pay for child care?  What sort of facility - day care, in home day care, family?  How many hours does your child stay in day care per day?

How much do you pay a sitter for a night out?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have kids, but 99.99% of the posters here are about to flame you for putting your kids in child care. Just thought you should know.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Never had our four in day care. I hear it is over 125.00 a week for one kid @40hrs plus food in some places and materials.

We pay a babysitter 10.00 an hr when my wife and I go out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#3]
i was paying 200 a week here in NY with food he was there for 3.5 years. Now he's in kindergarten Since we both work it will soon cost me $325 a week for a live in nanny type thing. bitch better cook and clean for that cash!!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Mom stays home. No amount of money would be worth doing otherwise, in my our opinion.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#5]
My son is a single parent and has to work; I pick up his child care expenses for my grandchild.  Cost is $17.00/day; a full day is considered anything over 4 hrs.  Day care is run by one of the local churches and seems to have a positive effect on the children.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Sitters $6/hour. Some are better than others. No day care unless my wife can land an architect  job paying more than 5x cost of daycare for two in a couple of years. We make do with less money.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Our day care just went up from $80 a week to $85 or $90.  It's at a home and our girl has been there from 0700 to 1700 Monday thru Friday since she was about 4 months old, she's now 4 and just started pre-K which is noon to 1430 M/T/TH/FR and she's at daycare all day on Wednesdays.  We pay $2/hour for baby sitters but that doesn't happen very often as both my parents (20 minute drive) and my wifes parents (5 minute drive) are within range and available most of the time to enjoy spending time with our daughter.

I just scrolled down and seen the post about being flamed for using/having daycare...you do what you got to do and feel comfortable with doing.  My wife and I both have full time jobs and two part-time jobs/businesses which keeps us very busy, but at least one of us is home to pick up our daughter from day care until she gets up the next morning and is taken to daycare again.  Sure I wish my wife could stay home all the time but she enjoys her job and we like to think we're working our asses off now so we can make a better life for our daughter here shortly, we have plans for my wife to quit her job either Jan 06 or 07.  Good luck and hope this helps...YMMV
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Let me get the nomex on.........

Ok.

Last year I spent just over 5k on day care for my now 12 year old daughter. That is with me getting a subsidy from them.
That gets me 10 hrs/wk durring school year and full time in the summer.
Oh, I forgot to mention that this is a center for children with special needs.
RN/LPN on staff, and a no more than 5 to 1 kid teacher ratio.

I'm a single parent, and I figure that I can either be a ADC dad, or work hard and live light.

Ok guys, start the flames!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I have cats.

They take care of themselves for the price of some dry cat food, water, and an occasional pat on the head.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Day-care it outrageous in my area.  Upwards of $230/wk at a nearby church and about 600-800/mo at a regular day-care.  My Mother watches our little rug rat and lives 15 min away.   If it wasn't for her Mommy would stay home.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Part time daycare where I live is $3.00 per hour per kid.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I switched to 2nd Shift and take care of both of my boys during the day.
When the wife is done work I go into work. Not everybody can do this BUT it saves on the child care issue and they are raised in a proper "gun culture" household.

RW3
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine is running about 470 month at a private inhome place just down the road. Know the family for years..
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to run a early childhood center in oklahoma, it was a church facility and for children 6 weeks to 3 years old we charged $525.00 a month, and for children  3 and up we charged $475 a month.  This included teachers with degrees in early childhood education(CDA) and atleast two years experience, we served breakfast, lunch and a snack(included in the monthly tuition).  In most states the Department of Human Services will usually rate the different Day Care Centers in the area by a set standard, usually the better rating the more expensive.  Also, check out  http://www.naeyc.org/ , this is a national accreditation agency for child care centers.
I know a lot of parent look down upon putting their children in daycares, but if the right school is selected, daycares can jumpstart the educational and social abilities in children.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I believe we pay for my 5 yr old to be in daycare/preschool after kindergarten 1/2 day, at 274.00 a month.  It is a very nice facility in our small town.  Prices have gone up every year.  I'm so glad he will be in school full time next year.  He likes it there, but he is a biological terrorist in our home.  Cough, sniffle,......
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Also, check out  http://www.naeyc.org/ , this is a national accreditation agency for child care centers.

The National Association for the Education of Young Children (birth- age 8) accreditation is the real deal and tough to get, not to mention expensive to acquire. When a center is NAEYC accredited, it usually means expensive but definetly worth the extra money if one can afford it. NAEYC schools have a standard that each teacher  have a degree in ECE (which means that it specialized in children from birth through age 8) and other stringent standards. What this translates to for the parents is that your child is getting extremely high quality care and education but also that the teachers have to be able to make a living at it. It's give and take. It also stresses continuing education for the teachers, not just a degree.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I don't have kids, but 99.99% of the posters here are about to flame you for putting your kids in child care. Just thought you should know.

Ogre's son posts here and has his own AR, and is a tad old for day care...  I suspect she's looking to it as a way to make some money.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I think $800/month is a common figure aorund here for home day care. I'm sure it's difficult to find someone you can trust.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think $800/month is a common figure aorund here for home day care. I'm sure it's difficult to find someone you can trust.

+1  

We have it good.  Family friend who does in-home and she only charges us $100 per week.  Kirstyn really seems to enjoy it too.  Good thing.  It's only till she starts school.  My wife is a teacher so it's easy to match hours with the kid coming home.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:30:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

My four kids range in age from 11 to 20 and have never been in day care of any kind.  I have had an in home day care for the last 15 years and and now I am seriously looking into opening a day care outside the home.  There is a need for it in the area.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:41:44 AM EDT
[#21]
My daughter stays with the same lady that babysat her when she was a kid. On a farm, 10 miles from town and 80% of the time she is the only kid there. It costs about $300 a month and she is there 4 days a week.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#22]
My sister pays $550 a month for her son, thats for ages under 2, when they are older she gets some kind of discount, not really sure how much.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#23]
We will be paying $90 a week, starting next week when Mrs. Wedge goes back to work.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:48:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
How much do you guys pay for child care?  What sort of facility - day care, in home day care, family?  How many hours does your child stay in day care per day?

How much do you pay a sitter for a night out?

Daycare was ridiculous and utterly moronic, so I quit my job to raise the kids. Babysitters around here, if you can find trustworthy ones, run about $10-12 an hour. It too is ridiculou$. I've looked after neighbors' kids in the past, in the hope their parents would return the favor, but it rarely happens.... "Lemme get back to you on that- we're really busy right now...."
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:49:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:49:30 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
i was paying 200 a week here in NY with food he was there for 3.5 years. Now he's in kindergarten Since we both work it will soon cost me $325 a week for a live in nanny type thing. bitch better cook and clean for that cash!!  

Be careful what you wish for- you might actually get it. BTW also Google "Louise Woodward".....
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:03:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Ogre,
Daycare is always needed it seems.  As a librarian, I visit 3 or 4 every week and even in the rural area that work in, there is ALWAYS a waiting list for the good ones.  I visit one that doesn't have a waiting list, but it sucks.  The "teachers" are not certified, there are no separate rooms for the different age groups and it is always loud.  I think cost is directly related to the quality of care because the one bad one is the cheapest in the area.  I think having home day care experience would be a big plus for you.
Good Luck!
ML
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#28]
My onbase daycare provider is certified to both Dept of Defense and NY state standards.

For my 7 yo daughter and 10 yo son, I'm paying:

During the school year, $120/week for before and after school. I drop the kids off at 0630, She feeds them breakfast and gets them on the bus at 0830. A little after 1500 that afternoon, the kids are back, she meets them at the bus stop, gives them snacktime, and shepherds them through the day's homework. If they're done quickly, and correctly, she'll take them for walks or playtime outside, I usually pick them up before 1700. All I have to do then is review the days completed homework and let them out to play until dinner is ready.

Summer (and other holidays) vacation comes up to a $240/week rate....

I still figure that I'm getting off cheap.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:13:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Mom stays home. No amount of money would be worth doing otherwise, in my our opinion.

Yup. Second one due any week now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Well we took turns . The first year she stayed home . The second and third I did . I couldn't take the "You are a peice of shit as a father for not working ."Bullshit anymore so for the last year I fought tooth and nail to be ableto go back to work . Granted she was makeing good money , but still .
Now we both have two jobs each . Our kids are in a preschool .Our son 4 days a week our daughter 2 days a week . Other than that we scheduale our jobs to where we can spend the most time with the kids that we can . When we can't one of the grandparents watch the kids for an hour or two until one of us can be there. All told preschool costs us $350 a month for both of them .
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Yup. Second one due any week now.

Hey, same here (well, about six weeks, anyway).
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

ANd rightly so...if that is her plan

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#33]
About $50/foot, depending on the voltage requirement...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
My onbase daycare provider is certified to both Dept of Defense and NY state standards.

For my 7 yo daughter and 10 yo son, I'm paying:

During the school year, $120/week for before and after school. I drop the kids off at 0630, She feeds them breakfast and gets them on the bus at 0830. A little after 1500 that afternoon, the kids are back, she meets them at the bus stop, gives them snacktime, and shepherds them through the day's homework. If they're done quickly, and correctly, she'll take them for walks or playtime outside, I usually pick them up before 1700. All I have to do then is review the days completed homework and let them out to play until dinner is ready.

Summer (and other holidays) vacation comes up to a $240/week rate....

I still figure that I'm getting off cheap.....

WOW! That is pretty good... mine are older and I pass them back and forth with my ex, but back when we both worked, it was like $400/week...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top