Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/16/2004 2:20:53 PM EDT
That is what is causing all the hurricanes.

The damn greenhouse effect.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe its just a bad hurricane season, I'm sure that this isnt the first time there has been 4 hurricanes that hit the mainland in one season.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#2]
There were no multiple hurrcanes before this year?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh great, the lib parrot speaks again.

Tells us all about global warming, cyanide.

Make sure you refer to the periodic changes in weather that have been occuring for... well... ever.  Also, I would like to know the actual change in temperature from 1950 to 2004 and how this number compares to temperature changes that have taken place in the past.

Oh, and the info must come from a legitimate source.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#4]
we're all gonn die!

in other news many modern people are looking to new kinds of doomsday cults,  greenpeace is a good example.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Oh, and the info must come from a legitimate source.

Hmmm, guess that excludes CBS news....

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Greenhouse Gases, Global Superstorms, Climate Changes, Planetary Collisions, Asteroids, Polar Shifts, Dogs & Cats living together.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Gimme a bowl of chili and we can talk about greenhouse gases
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#8]
A .5 to .75 degree F increase in temperature over the past 100 years doesn't concern me much.  You also seem to forget, or didn't know, that Earth is still warming from the last ice age and there have been times when Earth was warmer than it is now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Geesz

you guys sure like to gang me ???

Let's all take a break --- ok ???
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A .5 to .75 degree F increase in temperature over the past 100 years doesn't concern me much.  You also seem to forget, or didn't know, that Earth is still warming from the last ice age and there have been times when Earth was warmer than it is now.

Plus, in addition to ice-age cycles we are currently in, and larger climatic cycles we don't understand, and sunspot and other sun-based cycles we don't undertand - the planet overall is VERY slowly cooling, as the molten core gradually cools down over millions of years.

So a little global warming - whether it's fiction or not - might be a very good thing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Geesz

If you want a break, why don't you try starting a thread with some actual content???

Peace brother.................................................................

In keeping with the hurricanes context ------
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yes, the earth was warmer during the Middle Ages, when the population increased along with the increase in temp. Moderate temp increase is therefore a good thing, based upon past history.

Most climate scientists don't believe that global warming is responsible for the hurricanes, by the way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Even if there is "global warming", it's a natural phenomenon, not caused by man. Don't worry, it will cool back down - and that won't be because of man either.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#16]
It's a 30 year cycle of activity.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It's a 30 year cycle of activity.

Good means I will never have to put up with this shit again.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#18]
If you do some investigating you will find that there were more hurricanes, and the were more intense during the first half of the 1900's.

Global warming is hogwash
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If you do some investigating you will find that there were more hurricanes, and the were more intense during the first half of the 1900's.

Global warming is hogwash

What I think is hogwash -------------- is the fact that they had the technical  means  to measure things like they do now back then ------------ or am I wrong ???
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Personally I believe we are definately warming our climate more then would naturally occur.  

I believe there are places in the poles and in AK that have risen by more then 4F in the last 20 years or so.  Large pieces of ice melting or breaking off, more then should have were it just natural.

But, opinions are like assholes.  Everyone's got one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Personally I believe we are definitely warming our climate more then would naturally occur.  

I believe there are places in the poles and in AK that have risen by more then 4F in the last 20 years or so.  Large pieces of ice melting or breaking off, more then should have were it just natural.

Don't ever apologize for having a thought or opinion -----------
some of the loud mouth pecker heads here think they rule the roost -------- screw them.
They are as dumb about things as the rest of us.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Personally I believe we are definitely warming our climate more then would naturally occur.  

some of the loud mouth pecker heads here think they rule the roost -------- screw them.

Awe look, the parrot found a friend.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awe look, the parrot found a friend.

I have many -----------------------------------

get over it -------------- or not.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Rotting vegetation ???

Just a thought ???
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plus, in addition to ice-age cycles we are currently in, and larger climatic cycles we don't understand, and sunspot and other sun-based cycles we don't undertand - the planet overall is VERY slowly cooling, as the molten core gradually cools down over millions of years.

So a little global warming - whether it's fiction or not - might be a very good thing.

Also, don't forget that the Sahara Desert actually use to be all forest. However, from what I've read, the axis of the planet's rotation shifted something like 1/2 to 1 degree and just completely changed the environment of the planet.

One of my favorite things when countering global warming is the fact that we have had four known ice ages. I ask people that think global warming is such a concern if they know about the ice ages. Most do. I then ask them what do they think caused the ice to melt in between the several different ice ages. When I ask them what they think caused the ice to melt in between the different ice ages they have several different response to even saying, "I don't know".

However, when I ask them what they think about what is causing the globe to heat up today, if in fact it is, they always claim that's it's because humans have put so much green house gases into the atmosphere. So I ask them about green house gases. The only one they can name is CO2. Then I inform them, that from ice samples taken, there was twice as much CO2 in the atmosphere 160 million years ago than there is today. So I ask them, what caused all that? Dinosaur farts?

Were there comet impacts around that time?  Maybe hightened volcanic activity.

The better questions would be, how do the GH gasses compare between now, and the other warming periods (including the one you mentioned).
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Rotting vegetation ???

Just a thought ???

No idea really. I just thought it was strange that I learned that from some "Global Warming" display in the air port on Kuai Hawaii. They didn't say what it was caused by. My point was that humnas didn't even exist then and something else created all the CO2 back then which means we aren't even as significant as we think we are. My guess is that we have had absolutely nothing with global warming. If we have, it has to be so minute that it isn't even mentionable.

With every automobile that runs
smog in large cities

I have to feel we contribute to Greenhouse gases in a major way --
-- it would be interesting to see how (the cause) people die along major routes of travel as opposed to those that live in rural ares.

Cigarettes bad for you ----------
auto emissions have to be worse, just have to be , it is a common sense thing ???
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Cyanide,
Everyone is right. Our planet, including the climate and physical geography is, and always has been, in a constant state of change. Our ever changing solar system is also constantly exerting changes on our planet.  
So I guess its O.K. to say FUCK IT! and pollute all you want because there is no proof  that anything you do has any adverse effect on the future existence of mankind!  
I think most people like to right it off that way because it makes them feel warm and fuzzy to be able to say they haven't done anything to contribute to any problems.
My opinion is "I don't know but maybe we should start 'thinking' about being a little more careful just to be on the safe side."

Regards  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Your problem is giving more weight to what "feels" than hard scientific FACT.
Global warming is a liberal creation of the "freeze to death in the dark" crowd, more "feelings" rather than hard FACT.

This is not meant to be a liberals against whomever thing -- this is meant for us to look at the world we live in today ------------

thousands upon thousands of these have to have some impact on our climate -- again common sense kind of thing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#34]
It's me.  I've been releasing a lot of greenhouse outhouse gasses lately.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
It's me.  I've been releasing a lot of greenhouse outhouse gasses lately.

One word Bean-o

But in reality they have measured methane gases  from satellites  ------ on large dairy farms !

Again just another source  of GH gases --------- among many.

Maybe we are just going to populate ourselves out of existence ???
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
With every automobile that runs
smog in large cities

I have to feel we contribute to Greenhouse gases in a major way --

Feeeeelings, oh oh oh feeeelings . . . .

Quoted:
-- it would be interesting to see how (the cause) people die along major routes of travel as opposed to those that live in rural ares.

It doesn't sound like a practical study. Too many variables.

Quoted:
Cigarettes bad for you ----------
auto emissions have to be worse, just have to be , it is a common sense thing ???

CO will kill you right off. It just doesn't have much in the way of long term effects. The major emissions with potential long term impact are not dangerous. They be CO2 and H2O. Although I hear H2O can be dangerous . . .

Cyanide, I suggest you stay away from open 5 gallon buckets containing H2O. You could be killed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Geesz

Take a break from posting stupid crap and maybe they will.

But that's probably hard wired in you, isn't it? The need to post the most illogical, idiotic crap you can think of, just to get a rise out of people you know will disagree with you.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Geesz

But that's probably hard wired in you, isn't it? The need to post the most illogical, idiotic crap you can think of, just to get a rise out of people you know will disagree with you.

One could say the same stuff about your posts ---------
of which there have been few of late.......................

GO ahead and argue that air pollution is a good thing----------- DA.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Geesz

One could say the same stuff about your posts ---------
of which there have been few of late.......................

Yeah, I came back because I really missed my interaction with trollish  morons. Luckily you provided my fill for the day.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Don't let me keep you  --------- here

go back to trolling DU.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#41]
According to leading Brit scientists and botanists, the earth naturally produces the VAST majority of CO2... not humans.... and it is actually a good thing, theoretically.

What the bad part is, according to them, is the destruction of vast forest systems... (Save the rainforest stuff)

Perfectly reasonable to me.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

go back to trolling DU.

ah, funny. Never been there. I have better things to do with my time.

But apparently your life is so pathetic you must come here and troll for you jollies.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Makes sense

rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/?2003223-0811/Brazil.A2003223.1755.1km.jpg

Sat pic of rain forest defoliation and fires made for clearing of land.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
GO ahead and argue that air pollution is a good thing----------- DA.

The problem is, environmental morons can't get past that one point.

Auto emissions haven't been shown to cause any long term damage. Global warming so far is the only contender, and it is far from proven. Efforts to deal with this (still theoretical) problem won't--by any climate models--have a significant impact on global warming even if it is being driven by emissions. But such efforts will have an immense impact on our economy if enacted.

At this point, the correct course of action is to not enact Kyoto or similar treaties. We should make full use of the most efficient (as determined by the market) energy supply.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#45]
We need a middle of the road approach --
not the fuck it till we are all dead --make money on oil crowd and the " environmental morons " crowd.
So I agree with you  in a "small"way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

go back to trolling DU.

But apparently your life is so pathetic you must come here and troll for you jollies.

I am glad to provide you with a purpose for existance ------ DA.<Red from the 70's show>
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Makes sense

The destruction of the rain forest was one of those bad predictions left wing doom & gloom types are always bringing out. The depleation of the SA rain forest is well below what was predicted.  As a kid, the predictions of the deforestation in the rain forest scared me--the doom & gloomers took me as a kid. Fool me once . . .

It's like the millions of starvation deaths in the US in the 1980s. The ones that were predicted and didn't happen.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Makes sense

The destruction of the rain forest was one of those bad predictions left wing doom & gloom types are always bringing out. The depleation of the SA rain forest is well below what was predicted.  As a kid, the predictions of the deforestation in the rain forest scared me--the doom & gloomers took me as a kid. Fool me once . . .

It's like the millions of starvation deaths in the US in the 1980s. The ones that were predicted and didn't happen.

I'm afraid --
By the time people such as yourself get/ start to be worried we will be past the point of no return.

Of course that will not be in our lifetime ------ so what do folks like you care ???
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#49]
bovine flatulence and in the last 5Oyrs. the flatulence coming out of the mouths of  liberal junk science majors. Personally I would like to own some beach front property...and Philly would be an inlet in the bay. Great fishing around those submerged buildings, what.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

go back to trolling DU.

I am glad to provide you with a purpose for existance ------ DA.

Apparently you can't read for shit either. Doesn't surprise me. I doubt you provide anyone a purpose for anything, even yourself. My guess is you have no purpose at all, and that's why you spend your time here trolling.

You're just an attention whore. You can't get attention by making intelligent posts (since that is beyond your capabilities), so you post the most inane crap just to get a rise out of people and have them respond to you.  You'll deny it, of course. Or maybe shift the attention somewhere else now. But it's the truth. You're a sad, pathetic little person.

And see, it's working! Youv'e got my attention now! Only  I prefer to put the attention directly back on you, instead of your  moronic commentary.

If dragging down the collective IQ of the board was a reason for being banned, you would have been out of here long ago.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top