Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2004 1:11:56 PM EDT
Gets a hole in his head that is.

Meanwhile back in Detroit...

Man killed in road rage incident

Detroit motorist shot to death after attacking a corrections officer with golf club on Lodge

By David G. Grant and Oralandar Brand-Williams / The Detroit News

DETROIT — An irate motorist was shot and killed Wednesday by an off-duty state corrections officer in what police called a road rage incident on the northbound Lodge Freeway Service Drive.

The shooting occurred about 4:45 p.m. after the angry motorist first attacked the other driver’s pickup and then the man with a seven-iron golf club, police said.

“This was a clear case of road rage without either vehicle being involved in a accident,” said Detroit Police Insp. Bill Rice, head of the Major Crimes Section.

Rice identified the dead man as Paul Anderson, 36, of Detroit.

Extreme road rage cases are not without precedent. Four former Mount Clemens police officers face sentencing Oct. 26 in U.S. District Court for beating a man following a road rage incident.

Henry Ford Hospital psychologist Philip Lanzisera, who counsels patients in anger management and has dealt with the road rage issue in his practice, says in many cases, the aggressor thinks he has a right to take action.

“The issue of road rage is most commonly one of a feeling of entitlement (and) a feeling of a violation of one’s rights,” Lanzisera said. “There is a feeling of seeing the person you are aggressing failing to attend your needs.”

Detectives have not determined what triggered Wednesday’s incident. But it began after the pickup pulled off the Lodge, one of Detroit’s primary commuter routes handling more than 130,000 vehicles daily, onto the service drive at Euclid, Insp. Rice said.

A 1992 Honda Accord, driven by Anderson, pulled up behind the pickup. Anderson, who had two women passengers in the Honda with him, began honking the horn and yelling at the driver of the truck to stop, police said.

The driver, Thomas Walteraeck, 39, of Detroit, pulled over.

“Anderson jumped out of his car with a golf club and started beating on the pickup truck,” Rice said.

The two women also grabbed a steel steering column locking device from the car and started beating on the pickup truck while Walteraeck remained inside.

“Anderson busted out the (pickup’s) passenger side window and the tail light with the golf club,” Rice said.

Anderson then hit Walteraeck on the arm with the golf club and attempted to pull him out of the pickup, Rice said.

Walteraeck pulled out his state issued handgun and fired one shot, striking Anderson in the head, killing him.

Walteraeck was questioned and released pending investigation.

Lanzisera advises those who find themselves becoming aggressive in a traffic situation to leave the area when they feel themselves becoming emotional.

For those who are potential victims, he advises the same.

“If you’re the person someone is aggressing, don’t pick up the gauntlet,” Lanzisera said. “Don’t say anything back. Just get out. What you want to do is de-escalate the situation.”

You can reach David G. Grant at (313) 222-2696 or [email protected].

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#1]
dumb shit got what he deserved!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#2]
"Leave the Area"

Yeah, like he did.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#3]
why pull over and invite trouble?
why not drive away instead of shooting someone in the head?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice shot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Because if you don't pull over and you nicked someones bumper and didn't notice you've now fled an accident right?  If I do pull over I expect people to handle the situation without hitting me with a fucking 9 iron.  It's nobody's fault but the dead man's that his ride on the big wheel is over.

ETA:  Taking off from the crazy just leads to them following/chasing and that's putting everyone at risk.  I don't think I want to engage in a running car chase with insane road ragers.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Because if you don't pull over and you nicked someones bumper and didn't notice you've now fled an accident right?  If I do pull over I expect people to handle the situation without hitting me with a fucking 9 iron.  It's nobody's fault but the dead man's that his ride on the big wheel is over.

+++111
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
“The issue of road rage is most commonly one of a feeling of entitlement (and) a feeling of a violation of one’s rights,” Lanzisera said. “There is a feeling of seeing the person you are aggressing failing to attend your needs.”

I have a hard time believing that people from Detroit would have this mentality!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#8]
so why couldn't that actor... whatisname who attacked the other guy with a golf club...

why couldn't the guy he attacked have been a cop with a gun? that would've ruled.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought you weren't ever supposed to pull over.  If you do then your are a willing participant in the conflict.  I guess if you know it will turn out to be a gunfight then you are also setting a trap.  Let the guy beat on your vehicle to support your "self defence" story and then plug him instead of leaving when he steps out of his vehicle with a golf club.  Its possible the shooter may have just about killed the people in the other vehicle with a bonehead move in traffic (same as pointing a loaded gun at someone) then got away with murder.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if it was a regular golf club or an assault golf club.

Ban all drivers!! No one needs a driver.  It's for the children!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+++111

Good point.

My first thought was why the guy didn't just drive away, but if he did that the guy would have likely followed him and that would have put not only himself and the driver/passengers of the other car in danger, but likely other motorists as well.

I think the guy did the right thing in shooting the dumbass.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I thought you weren't ever supposed to pull over.  If you do then your are a willing participant in the conflict.  I guess if you know it will turn out to be a gunfight then you are also setting a trap.  Let the guy beat on your vehicle to support your "self defence" story and then plug him instead of leaving when he steps out of his vehicle with a golf club.  Its possible the shooter may have just about killed the people in the other vehicle with a bonehead move in traffic (same as pointing a loaded gun at someone) then got away with murder.

Yeah, that is much more believable than the idea that some nut job flipped out on the freeway and decided to tee off on somebody's ride.

Where do you people come from? I deal with people from Detroit every day. They all think that they are Tony Sopranno!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Lanzisera advises those who find themselves becoming aggressive in a traffic situation to leave the area when they feel themselves becoming emotional.

I don't think they mean in a body bag like this guy left in.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#14]
He used a  seven-iron? Why not use a driver?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Here we go...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#16]
What's that saying again?  Something along the lines of "don't bring a golf club to a gunfight"
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The person behind the wheel, or a golf driver

Sly

(I'll be waiting for the mandatory ARFcom reply)
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#19]

"attacked the other driver’s pickup and then the man with a seven-iron"

Dumbass, didn't even know you're to use a fairway wood on pickup trucks.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+++111    +++111

Good point.

My first thought was why the guy didn't just drive away, but if he did that the guy would have likely followed him and that would have put not only himself and the driver/passengers of the other car in danger, but likely other motorists as well.

I think the guy did the right thing in shooting the dumbass.

I agree as well.  I was involved in a road rage incident and thankfully no one was hurt.  The other guy was the aggressor and was convicted of criminal threatening in the first trial but then a jury who must have been working with a single shared brain cell found him not guilty on appeal.  I had no escape because of the way the cars were positioned.

For those that are criticizing the shooter's behavior:  Hindsight is 20/20.  Shoulda, coulda, woulda is nice and dandy when you have time to reflect in front of a computer screen.  Maybe he could have done things differently with a better outcome.  But once he was in imminent threat of his life or serious bodily injury, he took action.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#21]
[du rant]I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT!

A freaking driver assaulted someone. Who wants to argue with me now that inanimate objects like a driver or a gun can't flip out on it's own and assasinate someon?!?

But I don't get why the driver used it's buddy the 7 iron... It seems like the driver could do enough damage by itself.... eve if it is just wooden instead. [/du rant]

Wait... did a driver attack another driver? Is this even assault/murder? I mean, you better believe no court is going to put me in jail for breaking my driver or putter, or whatever.

Did this happen in Kalifornia where illegal aliens and now golf clubs can get drivers licenses?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Did this happen in Kalifornia where illegal aliens and now golf clubs can get drivers licenses?

Are you kidding, the ice cream man passes out golf clubs like they are candy!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Great!  Now they're pass a law and I won't be able to have bayo lugs on my golf clubs anymore.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
That asshole got what he fucking deserved.

+ fucking 1!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm sorry. You can second guess the guy in the pickup all you want.

Everything might have been different if he just wailed on the guy's truck., As soon as the window got busted out and the asshole started pulling him from the truck, blam, game over.

That's the risk you take when you try to club the shit out of someone and they are packing.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Darwin in action.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I just realize the Ryder Cup is in town this week. That explains the 7 iron.

You got to be careful not to get 'tee'd' off when driving
I guess you could say the guy with the gun shot a  boogie.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

"attacked the other driver’s pickup and then the man with a seven-iron"

Dumbass, didn't even know you're to use a fairway wood on pickup trucks.  

He should have implemented the 5 wood, now for brand????????

Wilson deep red 5 wood or a Ram FX 5 Wood
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I hope the pick up truck is ok.

- Gazzy!

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Nice shot.

Have to say it...

+1

Someone can pull over for a variety of reasons... maybe someone behind you wanted to tell ya you had a tail light out  

- BG
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Dumb ass got what he deserved.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#32]
As soon as the 7 iron contactd the mans arm, it became assault with a deadly weapon. What was he supposed to do, call 911 and pray the psycho and his bitches didn't kill him? Run home to mommy, putting everyone at risk? If the man had clipped the car and didn't pull over, he could have been charged with a felony. Which in his profession, would cost him his job.

The criminal got what was comming to him, its a shame Darwin took 36 years to act.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#33]
A terminal case of stupidity...

I will avoid the obvious "What was the last thing to go through his mind?" jokes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

If you agree with AR15fan, it IS an "assault golf club".
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Besides how did the truck driver know it was going to turn violent?

honda driver could have been honking for him to pullover because he (truck driver) had a dangerously low tire and was trying to help avoid an accident.

I've helped other motorists this way.

so in pulling over, truck driver/correctional officer, had no way of knowing the future events until it happened...at least according to the information provided in the story.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#36]
The next time I force somebody off the road and almost kill them and their passengers while I'm changing my radio station, I'm going to pull over and wait for them.  When they come up and give me the beating I deserve, I'm going to fuckin blow them away.  The precedent has been set.

It looks to me like the shooter planned out the whole situation when he pulled over.  What makes him the good guy?  We don't know what caused the whole incident and dead men tell no tales.  Ya he got wacked with a golf club but maybe HE should have caught the bullet instead.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The next time I force somebody off the road and almost kill them and their passengers while I'm changing my radio station, I'm going to pull over and wait for them.  When they come up and give me the beating I deserve, I'm going to fuckin blow them away.  The precedent has been set.

It looks to me like the shooter planned out the whole situation when he pulled over.  What makes him the good guy?  We don't know what caused the whole incident and dead men tell no tales.  Ya he got wacked with a golf club but maybe HE should have caught the bullet instead.

.......I'm sure he planned on being beat with a golf club, and nearly pulled out of his truck on the side of the interstate, after he noticed someone flashing their lights and honking their horn in his rear view mirror.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

You either forgot the sarcasm tag, or you are one messed up person.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Sometimes the problem with the Lodge is that it turns into a parking lot and there is no choice but to stop and there is no way to get away, especially since the Lodge is under construction.  Sound like a Darwin award candidate.  The gene pool is now better for it.  First rule of gunfights is have a gun!

Jeff
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#41]
I bet the two women passengers calmed down right quick !

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I bet the two women passengers calmed down right quick !

Vulcan94

Real quick  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top