Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 11:47:59 AM EDT

U.S. Air Force Tech. Sgt. Scott McDaniel (background) talks to inbound aircraft, as Staff Sgt. Carl Hill uses a laser to highlight a target during a weapons interdiction mission in Iraq, May 31, 2004. McDaniel and Hill, both with the 116th Expeditionary Air Support Operations Squadron, are part of a joint team which must scout the objective area prior to a coalition attack to ensure no collateral damage will occur. U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Scott Reed

U.S. Air Force Tech. Sgt. Scott McDaniel (foreground) talks to inbound aircraft, as Staff Sgt. Carl Hill uses night optics to watch for the aircraft during a weapons interdiction mission in Iraq, May 31, 2004. U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Scott Reed

During a weapons interdiction mission, May 31, 2004, Pfc. Joshua Smith, a forward observer with Task Force Tacoma, uses a thermal imager to ensure the impact zone is clear prior to a coalition air strike against an area where insurgents have launched munitions. U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Scott Reed
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Has picture #1 been doctored?

Don't know. Not be me at least.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#3]
[sauron] I SEE YOU....[sauron]\
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#4]
What a way to fight a war; having soldiers on site just to ensure innocents aren't harmed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What a way to fight a war; having soldiers on site just to ensure innocents aren't harmed.

And putting them close to, if not in, harm's way. Remember, laser guided bombs need lasers to guide them. It isn't auto-magically.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That makes sense...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Why would #1 have to be doctored?
Some lasers are visible to the naked eye, others are visible to the spectrum observed by NVGs, not all lasers have an invisible beam.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Am I missing something? Why would pic 1 be doctored?

If we're discussing the beam, then it's very likely it's not a docotred picture, cause night vision scopes operate in the infared spectrum as do most targeting and ranging laser systems. Most utility lasers run at 1064nm. Which is invisable, but night vision optics will make them visable.

However that beam is really really wide, and quite strong from a flash light looking thing. So I dunno if that's really a laser he's using. So the pic may be doctored, that may NOT be a laser, OR since I have no idea what soldiers are using out in the field to light up targets for our jets I'll just shut up now
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]
you're no lumpy, that's for sure.

p.s. those pics aren't that bad-assed
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
you're no lumpy, that's for sure.

p.s. those pics aren't that bad-assed

Never claimed to be Lumpy. Lumpy does an AWESOME job. As for you shithead (this is what Sierrra Hombre stands for, right???) - here's a bad ass pic just you:

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#13]
not quite bad-assed, but cool.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#15]
cool....too bad no after action photo's!

Quoted:
not quite bad-assed, but cool.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#17]
The guy could be using a PEQ-2 laser illuminator which is basically an IR flashlight. Plus lasers tend to scatter alot in dusty enviroments which would then be greatly amplified by the NVGs.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Am I missing something? Why would pic 1 be doctored?

If we're discussing the beam, then it's very likely it's not a docotred picture, cause night vision scopes operate in the infared spectrum as do most targeting and ranging laser systems. Most utility lasers run at 1064nm. Which is invisable, but night vision optics will make them visable.

However that beam is really really wide, and quite strong from a flash light looking thing. So I dunno if that's really a laser he's using. So the pic may be doctored, that may NOT be a laser, OR since I have no idea what soldiers are using out in the field to light up targets for our jets I'll just shut up now

Wouldn't it be invisible until the beam hits something?
I was always under the impression that unless the beam was travelling through smoke or something similar, you never saw the beam itself, but you DID see the dot where the beam hit something.

There's always small particles floating in the air, which is reflecting the laser.  The Night Vision amplifies a small amount of light 100's of times, which is why we see it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought it was an IR filter on a flashlight or an IR illuminator kindof like they have on Gen 1 NVGs.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

No.  Dumbass is using a white lens flashlight, and it is lighting him up...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#21]
thanks for the pics....
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Excellent pics.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
www.defendamerica.mil/images/photos/jun2004/essays/pi060804a1.jpg LUKE I am your FATHER. looks like a Lytesaber

U.S. Air Force Tech. Sgt. Scott McDaniel (background) talks to inbound aircraft, as Staff Sgt. Carl Hill uses a laser to highlight a target during a weapons interdiction mission in Iraq, May 31, 2004. McDaniel and Hill, both with the 116th Expeditionary Air Support Operations Squadron, are part of a joint team which must scout the objective area prior to a coalition attack to ensure no collateral damage will occur. U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Scott Reed

www.defendamerica.mil/images/photos/jun2004/essays/pi060804a3.jpg

U.S. Air Force Tech. Sgt. Scott McDaniel (foreground) talks to inbound aircraft, as Staff Sgt. Carl Hill uses night optics to watch for the aircraft during a weapons interdiction mission in Iraq, May 31, 2004. U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Scott Reed

www.defendamerica.mil/images/photos/jun2004/essays/pi060804a5.jpg

During a weapons interdiction mission, May 31, 2004, Pfc. Joshua Smith, a forward observer with Task Force Tacoma, uses a thermal imager to ensure the impact zone is clear prior to a coalition air strike against an area where insurgents have launched munitions. U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Scott Reed

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The guy could be using a PEQ-2 laser illuminator which is basically an IR flashlight. Plus lasers tend to scatter alot in dusty enviroments which would then be greatly amplified by the NVGs.

It is a PEQ-4,  AKA, IZLID (Infra Red Zoom Laser Illumination Device) we also call them Light Sabers.  They can spotted via the air about 10KM away if on high power.  You use a techinque called roping and snaking when you want to direct air or ground fire onto a target.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top