Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2004 10:20:10 AM EDT
Here's the headline:

"R.I. Supreme Court Recognizes Second Amendment As Individual Right"

"Recognizing the 'militia' as being 'composed of individuals,' it noted that 'to deny the people their individual right to keep appropriate arms could transform the militia into a toothless tiger. In the absence of an individual right to keep arms, the government could deprive the people of their right to defend the state... .  The citizens of this state are free to possess a rifle or shotgun, or a pistol or revolver in their homes, places of employment and on their property'"

Wow!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Read that at lunch today. Bravo Rhode Island.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#2]
That's huge!  WOW, a state Supreme Court upholding the Constitution in general, and the 2nd Amend. in particular.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#3]
But will it pan out as something good, or just words.

It sound like it is saying that any R.I. resident can legally purchase a firearm. As I understand it, in R.I. you need a permit that is difficult to get.

Can anyone from R.I. chime in with the requirements?

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That's huge!  WOW, a state Supreme Court upholding the Constitution in general, and the 2nd Amend. in particular.

Not just a state SC, but a liberal New England state's Supreme Court!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#5]
SWEET!  GO RHODE ISLAND!!!  

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Here's the headline:

"Recognizing the 'militia' as being 'composed of individuals,' it noted that 'to deny the people their individual right to keep appropriate arms could transform the militia into a toothless tiger. In the absence of an individual right to keep arms, the government could deprive the people of their right to defend the state... .  The citizens of this state are free to possess a rifle or shotgun, or a pistol or revolver in their homes, places of employment and on their property'"

Wow!

"places of employment"!??

Double-WOW!

So the R.I. Supreme court is hinting at abolishing all employer-mandated antigun-laws?!

Is this a joke? Are we on 'Candid Camera'??
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#7]
BRAVO!

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I've always liked RI.  I bought my first two handguns there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#10]
This is very interesting... TAG
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Here's the headline:

Wow!

Great News!!!  And what do they consider "appropriate"?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's the headline:

Wow!

In the context of the sentence it sound like firearms "appropriate" for a militia. If  individuals don't have the appropriate firearms then they will become a toothless tiger.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
But will it pan out as something good, or just words.

It sound like it is saying that any R.I. resident can legally purchase a firearm. As I understand it, in R.I. you need a permit that is difficult to get.

Can anyone from R.I. chime in with the requirements?

ktm500

CCW almost impossible to get, AFAIK. (Easier to get in MA, oddly enough) Any other kind of handgun or long arm, no firearm lic. needed. Not sure about Class 3 or DD, though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's the headline:

Wow!

In the context, it sounds like they are saying "appropriate" as in serious hardware, versus a single barrel shotgun and .22 caliber revolver.  They are stating "appropriate arms" in the context of defending the state.

But I haven't read the opinion.  I'm off to do that right now.  But it is an outstanding quote.  I only wish they would have went as far as saying citizens had a right to own semiauto "assault rifles."  That might really put a damper on any future federal ban attempts....

EDITED to get my text out of the quotes....
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#16]
....they seem to have left out Machineguns
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Rhode Island. Not a real state, "FOR COMPARISON PURPOSES ONLY!"

j/k

Neat ruling but whats it mean to the rest of the country?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Sounds to me like a US v Miller style decision...

'Appropriate' -> appropriate to defense of the state...

Which is basically all the stuff the antis want to ban...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#19]
You gotta understand....

Rhode Island is run by the mafia.

THEY ALREADY ALL GOT MACHINE GUNS.

They just don't want to get prosecuted under state firearms laws anymore.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Its a state court ruling. Does that have any meaning outside of RI?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#21]
This is big news, fellas. Why haven't we heard about this before? This article contains information atleast a month or two old.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:59:48 AM EDT
[#22]

It bears repeating that pistols and revolvers are not sawed-off shotguns or assault rifles, or
other types of weaponry that more readily lend themselves to criminal activity and, therefore, to
regulation banning their possession. See, e.g., Carson v. State, 247 S.E.2d 68, 73 (Ga. 1978);

Looks like they are specifically excluding our beloved evil black rifle.

EDITED to add that the above is a quote out of the case we're all talking about.  I haven't had a chance to look at Carson v. State yet, but I'll bet it's not good.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I wonder when the ATF is going in with matches and gasoline....
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#24]
I can't do any more research right now guys.

But it looks like a "duck hunters" view of the 2nd Amendment.

Corey
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#25]
But couldn't a rifle be a machine gun? An M14 is a rifle and a machine gun isn't it? It did not state you you could NOT own a machine gun right???????

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top