Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 8:31:51 AM EDT
I'm currently a manager for a USA startup that is owned by a UK company.  Many parts of my job are done only by me,  and the main office doesn't want given to other people.  I decided in June that  I needed to move from MA due to the cost of housing (plus liberal BS) and I was just bored with my job.

Since they couldn't  just plug another person into my job, my boss asked me to stay until they hired a replacement and I had trained them.  I gave Sept. 1 as my last  day.  Well, they were lax in advertising the job, doing interviews, etc.  They kept asking if I could stay another week, then another, and  so on.  They just hired my replacement  today.  Since he has to give two weeks notice, I have now been asked to work until Oct. 15.  ( I like this company, and I may end up working for it again, that's why I've tried to work with them).

So, I'll now have an apartment in NC that I won't be living in for a while, or I'll have to wait until Nov. 1 to move.  I told my boss the company can either pay for my apartment for Oct., so I can move down right away, or they will have to pay my months salary for Oct. even if I work only two weeks.  I have yet to receive an answer.

So how would you handle the situation??????
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:34:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Leave the bridges unburned.  Grin and bear it...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Your offer to them seems pretty reasonable to me.
They should come up with something anyway.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Tell them they screwed you and that you're leaving immediately.

You did more than any reasonable person would have.  That they dropped the ball in getting you a replacement isn't your problem.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Your offer to them seems pretty reasonable to me.
They should come up with something anyway.

+1
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you have another job waiting for you?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Leave the bridges unburned.  Grin and bear it...

+1
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I'm doing my best to leave the bridges unburned.  I don't have a job down in Charlotte yet, many of the responses that I received said they were only looking at local candidates.  At my current company we don't even look at anyone out of state.  

I have enough on hand that I can go with a paycheck for a time.  I just decided this is not the place for me......
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Your offer seems reasonable to me.  My recommendation is pick according to your values.

Assuming they DON'T agree to pay for your extra expenses:

a) If not burning the bridges is more important than the cash you lose then stay.

b) Otherwise leave.  Try to leave NICE so as to minimize the damage but leave BECAUSE it's in your best interests.

- CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top